Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Why is everyone so into SWAT and Covy Slayer?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Everytime one of these fuckers shows up on the friggin' poll you can bet that at least four people are going to jump on it instantly. Look, it's not like I have a problem with the modes. They are fun and interesting, but god fucking damn it it gets boring after awhile. There is no variety to it at all. I need weapons. I need objectives god damn it. 

And that's another fine point, the damn polls. I haven't even gotten to try out Crazy King or 3 Plot yet. I love Stockpile and some good CTF or Slayer but god damn, I've gotten barely any Oddball games either.

I'm really failing to see why Bungie just didn't set the damn game to shuffle and let it go.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Venatio

I love Team SWAT because it's just headshots, I find Covy Slayer to be pretty boring, atleast in it's current BETA form

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By ColinWright

What exactly is Covy Slayer?

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @wh4tshisface: Slayer but as Elites, and all the weapons on the map are replaced with Covenant weapons.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sjupp
    @wh4tshisface said:
    " What exactly is Covy Slayer? "
    You all play as elites with evade. ( believe)
    And there are only 2 types of loadouts. (Plasma repeater or needle rifle)

I still haven't got to play some headhunter. I don't know if it's in yet but damn. It sucks to have everyone auto-vote on the top choice. I think it should be 0 votes in the beginning so people have to give a damn when they're voting.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I like all the gametypes except for 3-Plot in the beta. It is absolutely terrible... haha

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @LordXavierBritish: THERE'S 3 PLOT IN THE BETA!? WTF!?!?!? I WANNA PLAY 3 PLOT!!!!
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Djeffers03

They are pretty much the only game-types I like in the beta so far. Rolling around as an elite is hella-fun.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thejamster

I hate crazy king and oddball, so i never vote for them

NTL00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTL00
    @Sjupp:  Headhunter is only in free for all.
    Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Covy Slayer is something different and new, so therefore popular. SWAT I like because its the only mode I'm any good at.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

Swats okay, but covy slayer is fucking horrible.  I have no idea why people pick it.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

People play what's fun?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "

Everytime one of these fuckers shows up on the friggin' poll you can bet that at least four people are going to jump on it instantly. Look, it's not like I have a problem with the modes. They are fun and interesting, but god fucking damn it it gets boring after awhile. There is no variety to it at all. I need weapons. I need objectives god damn it. 

And that's another fine point, the damn polls. I haven't even gotten to try out Crazy King or 3 Plot yet. I love Stockpile and some good CTF or Slayer but god damn, I've gotten barely any Oddball games either.

I'm really failing to see why Bungie just didn't set the damn game to shuffle and let it go.

"
    probably because they wanted to test game popularity and their new voting system. Actually, I have the opposite reaction. I LOVE SWAT. Covy slayer is awesome because, well, the Elites are awesome now. Crazy king is the same old KOTH, and if I'm right, 3 plot is a territories gametype, something I have no interest in.  

I also find that half the time people are too preoccupied looking at their armor/stats to vote, so I get stuck with the default, which is usually slayer on Powerhouse. 
    As a side note, why does everyone always rush hammer? I grab rockets the first thing and usually end up with Focus Rifle/rockets and just dominate for the first part of the game because no one goes for power weapons.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By jkz

I really like SWAT because I prefer the quick-kills to the protracted fire-fights in normal slayer / other gametypes. Neither is perfect, but SWAT is closer in my eyes, since I still feel able to fight back if I don't get off the first shot, but I also don't feel cheated when I get 8 head-shots and then get one-hit by a sword. 

But I don't like Covy Slayer.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

I think Covy slayer would be perfect if the Needle Rifle didn't suck or you spawn with a DMR.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

SWAT is fucking retarded, as any idiot can point a gun in the general direction of someone 100 yards away, start spamming bullets, and get a lucky headshot kill.  Before you say "NUH-UH!!!", I will say "YUH-HUH!!!" because I fucking tested it last night multiple times.  It's fucking STUPID how easy a lucky headshot is to get, and it makes me think of Jeff's headshot rant on this week's Bombcast.  I kind of hate it when he's right about shit, but he's right. 

As for Covy Slayer, it's a nice change of pace from playing as Spartans all the time.  The limited capabilities really make for an exciting match.  Unfortunately, infinite power on the Grav Hammer is bullshit and leads to a lot of dodge>melee crap happening on a regular basis. 

Personally, I enjoy Team Crazy King the most so far. 

@Scarlet_Rogue said:

" @LordXavierBritish: THERE'S 3 PLOT IN THE BETA!? WTF!?!?!? I WANNA PLAY 3 PLOT!!!! "

Yes.  The beta currently has: 
    • 1 Flag CTF
    • Stockpile
    • 3 Plot
    • Team SWAT
    • Crazy King
    • Slayer
    • Team Slayer
    • Covy Slayer

The new Invasion mode will be out on Friday.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX
    @jakob187 said:
    " SWAT is fucking retarded, as any idiot can point a gun in the general direction of someone 100 yards away, start spamming bullets, and get a lucky headshot kill.  Before you say "NUH-UH!!!", I will say "YUH-HUH!!!" because I fucking tested it last night multiple times.  It's fucking STUPID how easy a lucky headshot is to get, and it makes me think of Jeff's headshot rant on this week's Bombcast.  I kind of hate it when he's right about shit, but he's right. 

As for Covy Slayer, it's a nice change of pace from playing as Spartans all the time.  The limited capabilities really make for an exciting match.  Unfortunately, infinite power on the Grav Hammer is bullshit and leads to a lot of dodge>melee crap happening on a regular basis. 

Personally, I enjoy Team Crazy King the most so far. 

@Scarlet_Rogue said:

" @LordXavierBritish: THERE'S 3 PLOT IN THE BETA!? WTF!?!?!? I WANNA PLAY 3 PLOT!!!! "

Yes.  The beta currently has: 
    • 1 Flag CTF
    • Stockpile
    • 3 Plot
    • Team SWAT
    • Crazy King
    • Slayer
    • Team Slayer
    • Covy Slayer

The new Invasion mode will be out on Friday.
    "
    wtf is 3 plot. i've seen it but it looks too much like territories for me to play it. 
    Also, it may be easy to spam bullets for headshot kills, but you WILL die before that happens if a good player can actually aim and hit you in the head.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: 
    Fuckin' A

@DystopiaX:
    It isn't like territories. It pretty much IS territories. I don't really like it that much. The four player teams get too spread out for it to actually get exciting. 

Swat is just boring because if it's new players it turns into running around taking pot shots with rifles and if it is good players it turns into let's all hide behind cover for ten minutes and then maybe take a shot. Covy is boring simply due to the lack of weaponary, which is somewhat ironic because I usually fuckin' sweep up in Covy. I just got like 650+ commendations early today. They are both OK once in awhile. 

So far my favortie modes have been 1 Flag CTF, Oddball, Crazy King, and perhaps the occasioal Slayer match. I was really into Stock Pile for awhile, but the problem is that I usually became the one who always had to guard the flags. Now, I'm not especially opposed to guarding the flags because I pretty much do that in every single 1 Flag match; but at least in 1 Flag I get to go after the flag. I don't think a lot of people have realized yet how easy it is to screw over another team simply by taking their flags and moving them outside the score zone.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli

On the topic of SWAT mode. There are just way better alternatives to Halo for low TTK (time to kill) firefight gameplay. Call of Duty or Battlefield do what SWAT does, only much better with way more variety and lots of additional gameplay ontop of it. 

SWAT takes that style of gameplay back to the very basic. One rifle and one sidearm and that's it. Maybe for e-sports fans okay, but definitly not for me. Like the entire Halo : Reach package, SWAT feels very oldschool and consequently somewhat outdated (outside of Invasion and the Generator mode - which I'm eager to finally play tonight).

Halo is about high TTK  drawn-out cat n mouse firefights with crazy weapons and floaty jumps and whatnot. SWAT just isn't Halo. Don't get me wrong, I like putting a bullet between my enemy's eyes as much as the next guy and SWAT mode does that well enough. It's fun, but not what I'm looking for in a Halo game.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By FlipperDesert

Trust me, in its current state you don't wanna play oddball, stockpile or crazy king.

Flag dropped! Flag taken! Flag dropped! Flag taken! Flag dropped! Flag taken! Flag dropped! ...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187
    @DystopiaX: 3 Plot is Territories, just renamed as far as I can tell.  I've enjoyed it every time I played it. 

As for "you'll die before you can spam enough shots for a headshot", I again state that I've proven that wrong.  The pistol fires VERY VERY VERY quick on this game, and the sprint function in SWAT makes it pretty easy to avoid headshots for the most part.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli: I have to cringe every time I see you post. It's like you've gone into the goddamn thing with the intention to fabricate an argument why Halo's irrelevant on every premise. They're not even good fucking arguments. You like Battlefield. We get it.  

--- 

I've always really liked SWAT. It was probably my favorite playlist back in the days of Halo 2, and I'm glad to see the division between Spartans and Elites has leveled the playing field again since Halo 3.  

Covy Slayer is neat. The Elites feel pretty different from the Spartans, so the mode devoted entirely to their playstyle is an interesting change of pace. 
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By zyn

I'm not into either.  I HATE both of those game types.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DystopiaX
    @jakob187 said:
    " @DystopiaX: 3 Plot is Territories, just renamed as far as I can tell.  I've enjoyed it every time I played it.  As for "you'll die before you can spam enough shots for a headshot", I again state that I've proven that wrong.  The pistol fires VERY VERY VERY quick on this game, and the sprint function in SWAT makes it pretty easy to avoid headshots for the most part. "
    pistol spamming is very good...at close range.
    at far range it does jack shit.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Seppli: I have to cringe every time I see you post. It's like you've gone into the goddamn thing with the intention to fabricate an argument why Halo's irrelevant on every premise. They're not even good fucking arguments. You like Battlefield. We get it.  

Dude - I tried the Beta for a couple of hours and wrote down my thoughts on the topic. Just like you. It's exactly how I feel about it. Don't have any multiplayer history with Halo, so that's exactly how it is to me - completely nostalgia free. It's like the natural progression of games like Quake and Unreal Tournament, which aren't my cup of tea.

SWAT modes are the low TTK gameplay modes, as such they are a lot more compareable to CoD Modern Warfare and Battlefield. Both of which do low TTK firefights a lot better. Since the general gaming public prefers low TTK gameplay, that's why SWAT is being played often. And that's why I find it odd. Halo has great high TTK gameplay, which it does better than the competition - so why would anybody play Halo for low TTK gameplay?

Obviously you don't get the difference between 'irrelevant' and 'irrelevant to Seppli'. I never said Halo : Reach is irrelevant. I just don't get it. I can see how it's awesome if you do, but I don't. Simple as that. If you don't like what I have to say about Halo - don't read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.