Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Why Reach's campaign feels the best.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

So I was thinking to myself why I seemed to have so much more fun in reach than the other halos and then it hit me. There was no freaking flood. No levels with janky enemies and weird stuff that just ruined the flow. I don't know if you all agree, but the flood was the worst part of the old ones.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

100% agreed. the flood, even though they were story necessary, they were easily the worst thing about the halo series pre(post?)-reach.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Jost1

Yeah the flood is played out at this point.  The Elites in this game are a worthy god damn adversary, they're probably some of the smartest enemies i've ever played against 

The Reach campaign is nothing short of amazing, and I disagree with Jeff's review that the last two missions weren't that exciting, I thought they were great.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Mighty
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    "100% agreed. the flood, even though they were story necessary, they were easily the worst thing about the halo series pre(post?)-reach. "

Agreed. I hated fighting them.  

I loved the way they were introduced in Halo: CE, but I hated fighting them.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @josty81 said:
    " Yeah the flood is played out at this point.  The Elites in this game are a worthy god damn adversary, they're probably some of the smartest enemies i've ever played against   The Reach campaign is nothing short of amazing, and I disagree with Jeff's review that the last two missions weren't that exciting, I thought they were great. "
    I still don't get what Jeff was referencing when he spoke of the "hooks" and the last two levels. But whatever yeah the flood was garbage, the only cool mission with them is when you first see them underground. Anytime after that was boring. I say this but when I saw Jacob Keyes and the Pillar of Autumn in Reach that just made me want a HD remake of Halo CE....even if there's flood.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jost1
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @josty81 said:
    " Yeah the flood is played out at this point.  The Elites in this game are a worthy god damn adversary, they're probably some of the smartest enemies i've ever played against   The Reach campaign is nothing short of amazing, and I disagree with Jeff's review that the last two missions weren't that exciting, I thought they were great. "
    I still don't get what Jeff was referencing when he spoke of the "hooks" and the last two levels. But whatever yeah the flood was garbage, the only cool mission with them is when you first see them underground. Anytime after that was boring. I say this but when I saw Jacob Keyes and the Pillar of Autumn in Reach that just made me want a HD remake of Halo CE....even if there's flood. "
    I would straight up murder someone to get a remake of Halo CE with this graphics engine.
    Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Ghost249
    @josty81:  I agree with you there
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Empirepaintball said:
    "  I loved the way they were introduced in Halo: CE, but I hated fighting them. "
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @josty81: Remember when you first land on the Halo, imagine with all the new technology how crazy good that forest can look....
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jost1
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @josty81: Remember when you first land on the Halo, imagine with all the new technology how crazy good that forest can look.... "
    God yeah.  Bring it on. Also a proper Halo 4 would be nice
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By vaiz
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @josty81: Remember when you first land on the Halo, imagine with all the new technology how crazy good that forest can look.... "
    May I direct you to Forge World, sir.
    Not being sarcastic, go look at that shit. That's basically a preview of what Halo CE remade would look like, and I like it.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jost1
    @punkxblaze said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    May I direct you to Forge World, sir. Not being sarcastic, go look at that shit. That's basically a preview of what Halo CE remade would look like, and I like it. "
    Forge World is SEXY
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

I completely forget that the Flood existed until you brought it up. Now I know why I enjoyed this campaign more.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By falconer
    @tankintheair315 said:
    " So I was thinking to myself why I seemed to have so much more fun in reach than the other halos and then it hit me. There was no freaking flood. No levels with janky enemies and weird stuff that just ruined the flow. I don't know if you all agree, but the flood was the worst part of the old ones. "
    Um, how about the last level? As Jeff said in his review, there is literally a WALL of enemies, in multiple waves, that you must defeat before the end. That absolutely killed it for me, ESPECIALLY in comparison to the last epic drive of both Halo: CE and Halo 3. 

I wouldn't say I was necessarily frustrated with the last level (though I know I will be when playing on Heroic and Legendary), but annoyed I guess? I certainly didn't have the rewarding feeling that I got from Halo 1 and 3. At least not from the gameplay. That only came with the ending stuff, and the best credits in any video game ever.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

I liked the flood in the first Halo.  It changed things up.  In Halo 2 and 3 I couldn't stand them though.  I remember in Halo 3 there's this one level that's like underground or something in tunnels, full of flood... that wasn't fun.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By leburgan
    @DOUBLESHOCK:  That level was the worst. I remember my friends and I just ran though on legendary saying go as fast as you can don't stop or it will get all retarded real fast.
    SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpartyOn

I've ever liked a halo game...and then I played Reach.  Well...scratch that, I thought the Halo games were fine, just not the phenomenon that it seemed to be for everyone else.  And the ENTIRE time I played Reach I wanted to play the other halo games with this graphics engine too.  I'm not sure what about it made halo finally click for me....the feel of the weapons, the crazy effects of plasma explosions flying everywhere....everything was totally awesome. 

....I'm now a halo fan
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By EVO
    @davissc9 said:
    "
    I've ever liked a halo game...and then I played Reach.  Well...scratch that, I thought the Halo games were fine, just not the phenomenon that it seemed to be for everyone else.  And the ENTIRE time I played Reach I wanted to play the other halo games with this graphics engine too.  I'm not sure what about it made halo finally click for me....the feel of the weapons, the crazy effects of plasma explosions flying everywhere....everything was totally awesome.   

....I'm now a halo fan "
    Same here. I've played all of them except for ODST and Wars, but this is the one that turned me into a fan.
    Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Kutkh

I liked the last two levels. I was expecting some kind of Warthog ending (as per the tradition) and was pleased when we got something closer to the end of ODST - Mongoose chase followed by Six's solo Alamo moment.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I disagree I loved the flood in halo 1-3. As well I certainly don't agree that its campaign was best, with canon breakages for no reason, blistering difficulty because of shield and health on enemies and their willingness to ignore every one but you, and their ability to drop your shields and health in a second made reaches campaign just frustrating. I eventually got past it alone on legendary in 25 or so hours of gameplay, with 288 deaths  but I never had that kind of problem with the past games on legendary, the difficulty made it a chore instead of a privilage.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crunchUK
    @ShaggyChu said:

" @tankintheair315 said:

" So I was thinking to myself why I seemed to have so much more fun in reach than the other halos and then it hit me. There was no freaking flood. No levels with janky enemies and weird stuff that just ruined the flow. I don't know if you all agree, but the flood was the worst part of the old ones. "
    Um, how about the last level? As Jeff said in his review, there is literally a WALL of enemies, in multiple waves, that you must defeat before the end. "
    How is that a bad thing? I thought it was amazingly epic (i'm assuming you mean the bit where you're at the landing pad as phantoms vomit enemies time and time again). I was playing on heroic and the only time I actually died was when the grav hammer brute caught me by surprise. 
    Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grixxel
    @ShaggyChu: 

You're right, why try something else? Game totally needed ANOTHER DRIVING SEQUENCE ENDING as usual. How exciting. :/
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By unchained
    @tankintheair315 said:
    I completely agree. I was actually thinking that Reach is the Halo I'm most likely to do multiple replays specifically because there are no flood levels. 
    stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By stackboy

I only got onboard with Halo with Halo 3, but I'm still not sure which one has the better campaign (ODST's was fine, but this throwdown is clearly between 3 and Reach).

I think another Reach campaign playthrough on Heroic is in order.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaneDev

The flood in Halo 1 were annoying but in the rest they where alright not that fun to fight but ok, the flood only levels were the worst I still cant believe they put that Cortana level in Halo 3.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I was surprised Bungie didn't try to do something stupid and fit the Flood in anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.