Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Harmonix Music Systems

Company »

Harmonix Music Systems are the creative developers behind many music / rhythm games. They were founded on March 1, 1995 in Cambridge Massachusetts by Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy. They were acquired by Epic Games in November 2021.

Harmonix has just been sold

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

I would imagine it must be EA, though it sounds like they're doing fine and that's good to hear.

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AnxiousTube

Well It doesn't sound like it was a bad thing so I'm glad and it sounds like everything at harmonix will be A-OKAY
    buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By buwchbach

I heard on twitter that they were "invested into" and are now independent.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696
    @benjaebe: I'm surprised Harmonix didn't go out swinging at Viacom, but it's probably better to end it on good terms instead of in a lawsuit.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch13696
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CptBedlam

"The new owners, investment group Columbus Nova, have purchased Harmonix for an undisclosed sum, according to a Viacom statement this morning."

It's not EA.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch13696
    @CptBedlam said:

" "The new owners, investment group Columbus Nova, have purchased Harmonix for an undisclosed sum, according to a Viacom statement this morning."  It's not EA. "

Yeah I guess I read that wrong. I thought that Columbus Nova was part of Viacom.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @ch13696 said:
    " @benjaebe: I'm surprised Harmonix didn't go out swinging at Viacom, but it's probably better to end it on good terms instead of in a lawsuit. "
    I don't see why they'd want to take swings at Viacom.  They had a healthy working relationship, from what I could tell from my view in the peanut gallery.
    buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By buwchbach

A@ch13696 said:

" @buwchbach said:

" I heard on twitter that they were "invested into" and are now independent. "

It would be cool if that happened, but the Viacom press release says differently. 

http://www.viacom.com/news/Pages/newstext.aspx?RID=1510571 "
    According to Jeff Green they are still indie though, and, you know, Jeff Green is always right. 
    " An investment company called Columbus Nova bought Harmonix. Still: that makes 'em indie. And that's great news."
    suntone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By suntone

From what I managed to gleam from the post was that  Viacom sold Harmonix Music Systems to Harmonix-SBE Holdings LLC which is affiliated with Columbus Nova LLC.  Maybe this is just my poor knowledge of how these deals take place, but to me it reads that Harmonix bought its freedom with some money from Columbus Nova.  However I could be wrong in my interpretation of what was written in the messed up leagalize.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

Awesome. Best wishes to all at Harmonix!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ch13696
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " @benjaebe: I'm surprised Harmonix didn't go out swinging at Viacom, but it's probably better to end it on good terms instead of in a lawsuit. "
    I don't see why they'd want to take swings at Viacom.  They had a healthy working relationship, from what I could tell from my view in the peanut gallery. "
    After all the news came out that Viacom was selling them, a lot of people were stating it's because Harmonix and Viacom were always in a back-and-forth argument. Or was it MTV and Harmonix?
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By melcene
    @suntone said:
    " From what I managed to gleam from the post was that  Viacom sold Harmonix Music Systems to Harmonix-SBE Holdings LLC which is affiliated with Columbus Nova LLC.  Maybe this is just my poor knowledge of how these deals take place, but to me it reads that Harmonix bought its freedom with some money from Columbus Nova.  However I could be wrong in my interpretation of what was written in the messed up leagalize. "
    I think you may be on or close to the mark there.  It goes on to talk about how Columbus Nova is an investment firm... I think you're right about Harmonix buying its freedom.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse

they are now an indie devolper being invested by Nova

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By zidd

Harmonix going back to being independent was the best thing that could happen in that situation. 

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By MayorFeedback

Yes, Harmonix is basically independent again with the help of a venture capital firm. They essentially bought themselves. 

From John Drake himself!! 

"Hey Guys:

We’re happy to confirm the news today that the sale of the company is complete. We appreciate all of your support, comments and warm wishes in the preceding few weeks.

Viacom and MTV Networks have been an amazing home for us over the past 4 years. It’s where we launched both Rock Band and Dance Central, worked with The Beatles, Green Day, AC/DC, The Who and thousands of other artists. We want to take a moment to thank everyone in that organization who helped make these awesome games possible.

We’re excited to be returning to our roots as an independent and privately owned studio. As for what it means for you, the DLC schedule marches on for Rock Band, we will continue our support of previously released titles and we’re hard at work on some unannounced projects that we think you’re going to be pumped about. 

Thanks for your continued support and stay tuned for more information here on RockBand.com, over @RockBand on Twitter and at http://www.facebook.com/RockBand.

Yours,
    Harmonix" 

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211766

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.