Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

As a beginner who wants to learn, is there anyone to watch?

LazyEkans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LazyEkans

Hey, I was watching Trump and because he has been playing for so long he and his viewers have heuristics for situations in-game that I haven't developed. I realize someone can't describe everything going on each turn (that would be boring and take too long), but is anyone playing well and trying to teach at the same time?

Besides that I have some other problems:

1. How do I know if my deck is weak or I, as a player, am not playing well?
    2. Should I just avoid "netdecking" (Using online decks)?
    3. Speaking of which, is there a dictionary for all the slang thrown around?
    4. How does one decide a card is bad? [Oops, found this on Trump's site.]
    5. Is there an overview for each hero and the implications drawn from their respective powers/basic hero cards (The cards they get just for leveling)?

If anyone else is new, I'd still recommend Trump, he does streams on Twitch and uploads to Youtube and his whole setup is really well done. Trump has a site and a FAQ worth checking out as well. As a note: x-drops means the mana cost. so a 2-drop means it costs 2 mana crystals to cast.

Edit: Trump does have early videos, but the game is evolving and so are the players.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Zevvion

@lazyekans: Funny you ask, as I just recorded a couple of Arena runs and put them online. I have to say though: I typically only win about 3 times in the Arena on average. However, this run that I posted online I did very well (and of course also got a bit lucky) and managed to get 7 wins. I feel like I talk a lot about the decisions I made, so even though it's not 'high level' stuff (I'm not great), you could watch it as 7 wins should mean I did at least something right. I would actually appreciate it as I made this account a week ago and am trying to get some viewers.

To your questions:

1. How do I know if my deck is weak or I, as a player, am not playing well?
      1. You'll have to pay attention to what's happening. No deck can win every game. There is a lot of tactical decisions you'll have to make, but ultimately you are also dependent on different factors of chance like luck of the draw, or randomness. Very simple example, you might realize at some point when you're relatively low on health people just rush you down and you can't stop them. This is a good example where Taunts are very useful. You should actually regularly check in your deck creation and look at the cards you're not using after you've just lost. That way, you might see a card and think: 'Oh man, if I had this one I would've totally won'.
    2. Should I just avoid "netdecking" (Using online decks)?
      1. Not necessarily. People post their decks because they feel they are great decks. Not because they are always losing with them. However, everyone has their own playing style. Someone might have build a deck with specific buffs and combo's in mind, that you're not actually using yourself. So, maybe, maybe not. It's more fun building your own though.
    3. Speaking of which, is there a dictionary for all the slang thrown around?
      1. No idea.
    4. How does one decide a card is bad? [Oops, found this on Trump's site.]
      1. Yeah, that guy has an awesome list of card value. However, I agree with pretty much everything he says, yet I don't win nearly as much games as he does, so knowing isn't winning.
    5. Is there an overview for each hero and the implications drawn from their respective powers/basic hero cards (The cards they get just for leveling)?
      I have to admit I'm not sure what you mean here. You can view all cards even the ones you don't own in crafting mode though.
    LazyEkans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@zevvion: Cool, thanks! I'll check out your stuff.

My last question was more trying to figure out which Hero I should play. With the daily challenges forcing me to play different classes I'll just figure out favorite later. I usually like to play the most "unconventional" class in RPG games. I like the Rogue, Mage, and Shaman, but I feel the Shaman's Hero Power is too luck-based and the Mage is what everyone starts with, so I see it as generic. So, I've been playing Rogue mostly...and losing.

I'm planning on getting to know all classes, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I think the problem I'm having is I focus too much on the presentation rather than the raw numbers.

Thanks again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Watching Trump is a good idea! Make sure to check his series where he gets to legendary without spending any money. I've been using his decks as a sort of base to build upon.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Just watching a ton of Hearthstone will get you better at the game more efficiently than anything else; doesn't really matter who you watch.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As Hero choice is concerned, you should just try to complete the daily challenges and try them all out. Also, you need to pay attention to what other people are using and try to replicate if you see something you like.

For instance, I thought the Hunter was terrible. Then I was destroyed by a Hunter who only had beasts in his deck, kept buffing all of them and drew cards whenever. That play made me realize the Hunter is completely centered around Beast minions, as his class specific cards have so many buffs and synergies with beasts. So I build a deck also purely with beasts and now the Hunter is one of my favorite classes. If you can get some synergies going, he can wreak havoc.

A lot of people use Mages as she has a lot of spells that freeze minions and deal heavy damage to them. It's pretty annoying having a Mage shut you down for 4 turns in a row with freezing spells only to finish all of them off with powerful damaging spells on the 5th turn.

Every class has its thing. There is no class that is no good. Shaman's for instance, use a bunch of cards that are very cheap for their cost, but use Overload which makes you have less mana available next turn. Still, when I play my 7/8 Earth Elemental on turn 5, it gets people nervous.

All classes are great in their own way, but they all have their own strengths, synergies, buffs and so on. It's actually a lot of fun to just browse through all the cards and figure out what they are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.