Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Blackrock Mountain Heroic Strategies and Decks

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Zevvion

Thought it would be helpful if we all posted the decks we used to take down the Heroic bosses in Blackrock Mountain. As we all know, a deck designed to tackle the specific boss is tremendously important.

I have nearly every card in the game, so my decks will be based on whatever I have. I have only beaten one of the Heroic bosses so far, probably the easiest too since his hero ability can be scummed. This is what I used to beat Grim:

No Caption Provided

Kinda self explanatory. You hope to draw the Peacekeepers instead of having them summoned, meanwhile you sabotage his plays with Noble Sacrifice so you can make favorable trades. Many cards in here that take serious advantage of Redemption. Almost all of them. This is mostly an easy fight like this.

I'll post my decks for the other two when I'll defeat them.

EDIT: Used this to defeat the Arena:

No Caption Provided

Note that the guy attacks your face exclusively, except for Doomsayer. If you play that, he'll attack that first. So that's basically a 2 mana gain 7 health spell in the worst circumstances. Otherwise, use Frost Nova and then Doomsayer, that works. Vaporize is tremendous value here, since he seems to attack with his crowd last. Mirror Entity is obviously great too. Big Game will get a target even on turn 3 most often. MCT works well too. Otherwise some stuff to increase your life and delay him. It took me 2 tries to win with this deck, but it seems you need to get some good RNG luck though. He managed to Overspark his own Foe Reaper into a Squirrel. That was cool.

EDIT 2: Used this to defeat Emperor Thaurrissan:

No Caption Provided

I used Crazed Alchemist to change his wife back to a 1/3. You can also use Power Word Shield on her, but the decreased damage is nice. You do this of course to prevent her inevitable death to one of Thaurrissan's many AOE attacks that affect all minions. Then you pretty much want to draw into Lightspawn, Berserker, Injured or Raging Worgen and do the obvious combo wombo of Divine Spirit/Inner Fire. I used Raging Worgen as a 8 attack minion to kill him. But it should work with any of them. I had my Lightspawn to 20 attack and him only having 15 health left, until he played a taunt. Which is what the free silence is for. Also, so his wife won't die if he plays that without you having drawn Power Word Shield or Crazed Alchemist. Took me 4 tries with this deck.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Thaurissan is annoying to fight and the only real heroic challenge imo. You need multiple silences to stop the AOE's and an additional way to protect the wife from his Death's Bite(divine shield, powerword shield or crazed alchemist work.) Tried beating it on my own and eventually resorted to guides. Modified Mill Druid worked.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Arena was most annoying because it's soooooooo sloooooooooow. The guy keeps introducing everyone first. Luckily I beat this week's Heroic ones already.

Also, Grim Patron is funny to use.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yeah, what is the time from getting into a game to passing turn one and then being able to actually play the game for that challenge? Like a minute+? They really need a quick retry and a "squelch all AI voice" option.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I used Paladin for Thaurissan and put Blessing of Wisdom on his wife for insane card draw as well as telling her to follow the rules. For the wife killing AoE, I would use silences, but if I needed too I would cast Kings on Moira and then tell her to follow the rules again.

After that, just a lot of healing and standard Paladin cards without board wipes and taunts. Musters and Quartermasters and such.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icicle7x3: Ha! Blessing of Wisdom is a really smart idea on that one. Still probably better to Crazed Alchemist her instead of follow the rules, since that won't keep her safe from Thaurissan's AOE.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have to say that the first wing was incredibly fun, especially the heroic mode. It's kind of a bummer that it was so short... off to putting Thaurissan in all my control decks and grinding constructed I guess.

I liked the heroic mode because, unlike Naxx, it didn't feel cheap. In Naxx many of the bosses were just overpowered BS and the only way to defeat them was to pray for good draws. 'No 1 drops in the mulligans? Well, concede and repeat I guess'. Here your whole deck actually mattered because the games were longer and didn't feel ridiculously cheap. Anyways, off to the strategies...

Grim Guzzler is fairly easy to beat with just a deck of really big minions that trade two for one. Force Tanks, Sunwalkers, Tirion, Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Stormwind Champion, Emperor Cobra, Maexxna, Giants - put these creatures along with some efficient removal and buffs and even Heroic should be fairly easy. I went with paladin because of humility, divine shields and because you can actually hit face for 20 with Holy Wrath.

I beat Dark Iron Arena with a freeze mage. It's not that difficult to consistently clear his board and stay alive long enough to draw your burn. I actually won the game because he played Millhouse while I had Antonidas on the table... that was pretty fun.

Thaurissan seems very rushy at first because of 3 to face each turn, and it can be difficult to not let Moira die. But you basically have only two goals: keep the wife alive and defend. Which is perfect for priest. Thaurissan has almost no removal so you pretty much just have to have a few big creatures like Lightspawn, Dark Cultist and Injured Blademaster than you buff with Velen's Chosen and Divine Blessing & Inner Fire. Get two Lightwells to heal you. Put a Crazed Alchemist in so you can swap the wife's stats, and just put Power Word: Shield on her and heal her whenever the AoE minions die.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I apologise since this is partly off topic, but holy shit the enemy dwarf heroes in the first wing are so terribly cringeworthy to listen to as someone who is actually from Scotland. It was bad enough opening up the fucking game to hear the innkeeper say "Lewk hoo it iz", now I gotta listen to these shitty fucking accents during every turn. It's so awful! Damn you Tolkien for making all dwarves in every generic fantasy franchise Scottish.

I'm sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom: Nah, it's cool, you have every right to complain. The enemy voices in that first quarter of Blackrock are especially chatty, even by Hearthstone expansion standards.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zevvion

Molten Core

Here is what I used to defeat Garr:

No Caption Provided

His biggest strength is ultimately also his biggest weakness. He starts with a full board of 7 minions that have a devastating Deathrattle... and 0 attack. The goal is simple, silence his board and he can play no minions whatsoever until they die due to his hero ability and their deathrattle won't come into effect anyways. Mass Dispel is extremely powerful in this match for this reason. Due to his hero ability, Gurubashi is also insanely strong. Acolyte is a great source of carddraw to find those silences and Thoughtsteal actually had me stealing his 3 mana summon 3 Firesworn card. There is also a lot of other ways to win. You can use Circle of Healing to heal all his Firesworn back up if you were unable to silence them. Even if you did silence them, it is a good idea so he can't play any minions and his board stays full of useless 0 attack minions. Priest hero ability helps with this too. Ultimately an easy matchup like this.

Used this to beat Baron Geddon:

No Caption Provided

Damn it if I didn't have a hard time with this guy. 50 Health and 50 Armor is just insane when there is no gimmick to take advantage of. Loatheb had 75 health and he had a gimmick that allowed you to gain +8 attack on all your minions. Baron Geddon has 100 HP total of which 50 can't be Alexstrasza'd. It was nuts. I tried regular decks but in the end I kept coming up short. I only did 40-60 damage each time before he killed me. So, I had to resort to combo wombo decks. This one worked for me. You can abuse overload to not have his hero ability trigger. Oddly enough, you want the silence in here for your own minions with that dumb 'tick tick' stuff he does. Anyway, you use Windfury. A lot. Early Dust Devil can really help with this (and prevent a turn 1 Pyroblast to your face). In the end, Neptulon got 2 turns (4 hits) in, Unbound Elemental about 5 or 6 and Ravenholdt Assassin 2 to finish him off. Coupled with Flametongue, Rockbiter and whatnot. You definitely need RNG luck for this one.

Used this to defeat Majordomo Executus and Ragnaros:

No Caption Provided

By the way, these guys are serious about upping the difficulty. 45 health + 15 Armor Executus is not that hard, but no slouch. But when you kill him you summon a 30 Health and 30 Armor Ragnaros with a 2 mana deal 8 damage to a random character TWICE hero ability? And then they flood the board with 0 mana Molten Giants? Damn. I did think this one was easier than Geddon though. What I did was using Shade of Naxxramas and keep it stealthed no matter what, because it will die to his Lava Burst/Fire Elemental and whatnot. Same for Ravenholdt Assassin. Do everything you can to control the board and not damage Executus except for his armor and his health to about 28 max. Taking your time is key. You can play the Windfury's and Windspeakers on the stealthed minions way in advance, there is nothing he can do against it. You'll want to prioritize giving Windfury to Shade and Ravenholdt. Try to avoid Earth Elemental, since it may have the damage, but it is obviously a target. He is mostly here for board control and additional damage. Set up the totems last since they are susceptible to Fire Elemental. Use them near the Windfuried stealthed minions. What you ultimately will want to do, is kill Executus in one turn AND damage Ragnaros as much as possible in the same turn. I think I did about 60+ damage in one turn. Ragnaros has one turn for his hero ability and then you need to finish him off on the next turn. So you're basically waiting for him with a high damage Windfury committee. If you kill Executus as fast as you can, you're in trouble. Ragnaros is far more overpowered than any other boss in Hearthstone Heroic ever. Simply because he can deal 16 damage to your face by chance, and there is no gimmick around this except flooding your board and hoping for the best. Except that he also floods his board with Molten Giants. You can try to avoid this by leaving Executus at 29 health (11 mana Molten Giants). Otherwise, that's what the Big Game Hunters and Hexes are for. Also, Big Game might catch an overgrown Fireguard Defender.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By imsh_pl
    No Caption Provided

Just looking at the cards should give you the general idea of what the deck does. Basically you want to go for the ultimate combo play: 4 Sorcerer's Apprentices and Archmage Antonidas for literally infinite damage. Getting there does require some luck but is a surprisingly viable strategy. Majordomo's minions have no problematic abilities (except for the Flamewaker) and he will not use burst to hit face, so you just have to efficiently clear the board. Loot Hoarder + Ping can clear the minions leftover from his hero power and draw you further into your combo. Don't hesitate on using Frostbolt for his hero power minions since they will deal a lot of damage if you decide to wait for a full board clear. Polymorph his big minions that you don't want to waste your Flamestrike on. Doomsayer + Frost Nova is a very consistent board clear since he will not waste two burn spells on the Doomsayer; beware the Flamewaker + Fireball combination though! Force him to attack your Apprentices when you have Duplicate up. Echo whenever you have two Apprentices on the board. The scenario you want to aim for is: two Apprentices on the board, Echo, dump two more, Nova, Duplicate. He will kill one with a burn spell which will put two in your hand - I haven't seen him using more than one burn spell a turn, and he doesn't have board clears. Play Antonidas, Apprentice and any spell to get a Fireball, which will now cost zero; cast it to face and receive a Fireball... which will now cost zero... you get the idea :) Laugh when the Ancient-When-The-World-Was-Young Ragnaros dies instantly after being summoned.

This deck does require very specific cards that are essential so might not be viable for players with a smaller collection, but it is really fun to try to set up the dream combo. Majordomo doesn't really put that much pressure if you do not give him a chance to play his Moltens. I imagine this deck would work well against any other PvE boss that doesn't have board clears.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Grillbar

looks cool. i was lucky enough to beat majordomo before they fixed the bug. basically if you killed him with the bane of doom spell he would not summon ragnaros. so it was super easy but it got patched out

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackrock Spire

Here is what I used to defeat Omokk:

No Caption Provided

Just use any Zoo deck you have. It will make his hero ability not as catastrophic. I found Imp Gang Boss, Imp-plosion and Haunted Creeper invaluable though. They make his hero ability almost shitty. Remember to control the board and not just go for face.

What I used for Drakkisath:

No Caption Provided

Properly named; you need to get lucky here. Try to play a correct card to anticipate his cards to go for 2-for-1's all the time. For example, play a giant and it can take out two ogre's. Make favorable trades all the time. If you ever go 1-for-1, you're likely to lose. Kel'Tuzad is insane in this match. And Majordomo is here in hopes of triggering on his Mind Games. Didn't happen for me unfortunately. Onyxia made all the difference, which was weird. I was able to take out 3 minions with it, and the final damage on a fourth, securing my victory.

What I used on Rend Blackhand:

No Caption Provided

Just play the cards that are in here whenever they apply. It's almost regular handlock, except no silence, added MCT and a second Big Game and Sea Giants. Rend Blackhand is an incredibly tough boss, but with this deck I got him in two tried, and I was doing well on my first too.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BisonHero

@zevvion said:

Molten Core

Used this to beat Baron Geddon:

No Caption Provided

Damn it if I didn't have a hard time with this guy. 50 Health and 50 Armor is just insane when there is no gimmick to take advantage of. Loatheb had 75 health and he had a gimmick that allowed you to gain +8 attack on all your minions. Baron Geddon has 100 HP total of which 50 can't be Alexstrasza'd. It was nuts. I tried regular decks but in the end I kept coming up short. I only did 40-60 damage each time before he killed me. So, I had to resort to combo wombo decks. This one worked for me. You can abuse overload to not have his hero ability trigger. Oddly enough, you want the silence in here for your own minions with that dumb 'tick tick' stuff he does. Anyway, you use Windfury. A lot. Early Dust Devil can really help with this (and prevent a turn 1 Pyroblast to your face). In the end, Neptulon got 2 turns (4 hits) in, Unbound Elemental about 5 or 6 and Ravenholdt Assassin 2 to finish him off. Coupled with Flametongue, Rockbiter and whatnot. You definitely need RNG luck for this one.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea why they felt the need to give Baron Geddon 50 Health and 50 Armor, especially in a fight that is in no way abusable like the Loatheb Heroic fight. It seems really excessive and unnecessary when his hero power and kill spells are already really strong.

I used this deck:

No Caption Provided

In retrospect, I would've cut some things that didn't actually help the deck as much as I thought they would. The idea was to always keep a pretty full hand (with hero power and Sense Demons and Azure Drake), and if he ever uses the "ticking time bomb" spell or whatever it's called, my solutions included Sacrificial Pact, Power Overwhelming, Youthful or Ancient Brewmaster, Shadowflame, or Wailing Soul (maybe other silence would be better, but it comes in handy when Geddon would occasionally time bomb two different creatures). I definitely had to try with this deck like at least a dozen times until the RNG favoured me enough that I got an ideal draw. Almost decked myself, and when I won my last copy of Sense Demons ended up pulling Imps because I had played like my whole deck.

The Brewmasters in general are just really strong counters to the time bomb spells because it also refills your hand with more cards to play (to have more options to fully spend your mana each turn), and the Brewmasters are also generally strong to play with Antique Healbot. Also Geddon is super likely to time bomb Doomguards when they come out, but still, they basically get to attack once (with Charge), then a second time, then you usually have to Shadowflame them or something and clear most of the board. If I had a second copy of Shadowflame, I probably would've cut a Sacrifical Pact to play another Shadowflame.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@zevvion: I took your idea for the Heroic Drakkisath fight, and the dream play happened after Mind Games:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Seriously that fight is complete bullshit. You literally just have to retry dozens of times until:

A) you get Kel'Thuzad in your opening hand so you can play him turn 2, B) Drakkisath doesn't have Kidnapper or his "kill and gain 10 armor" spell in his opening hand, and C) he then needs to not draw Kidnapper or the kill spell or Sprint for at least a couple turns so you can get some serious value out of Kel'Thuzad. That's the only way I even had this kind of board position when Executus was summoned (I think he played Flamestrike shortly after KT was summoned, then played another copy on a later turn to finally kill KT). Ironically I would've had lethal next turn (barring Flamestrike or Twisting Nether or another kill-get-armor spell), but it was nice to have the flashy kill.

Also, there's some weird bug where sometimes Drakkisath will use his kill spell on his own Kidnapper. I imagine the Kidnapper, having the shittiest stats of all his minions, must have some really high weighting of "when doing combat math, this thing should be the first to go because it's the lowest value", and maybe that weighting is so fucked up that it ends up being the target of the kill spell? I literally saw him do it when I had my own creatures on the board he could've been targeting instead.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Nice, I heard of more people doing the Majordomo Mind Games trick.

Yeah, he was killing his own kidnapper for me too. I have no idea why he kept doing that.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wing 4 is a real piece of shit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hansolol said:

Wing 4 is a real piece of shit.

I wouldn't know, my gold reserves ran out after buying the first 3 wings. Fuck Blizzard for not giving out the first wing for free like they did with Naxxramas. There is supposed to be some reward for "being there" at the launch of various expansions (Naxxramas first wing was free, GvG you got a bunch of free packs if you logged in around the GvG launch, etc.). The only "launch" thing with Blackrock is if you're Rich Uncle Pennybags and preordered the entire adventure then you get the exclusive cardback. Which is a waste of money, because the Blackrock cards are terrible compared to the Naxxramas cards.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but I'm still disappointed by just how uninteresting this "dragon" theme has been.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zevvion

Blackwing Lair

What I used for Razorgore:

No Caption Provided

Similar to Garr, you'll want to exploit him summoning 0 attack minions. Silence them when they reach 4 health. If you're playing it right (not to mention being lucky that he doesn't have two Bloodlust in his hand) his board will be full of 0 attack minions by turn 7 and you will win. You can get unlucky and not draw enough silences when you need them, that's why Big Game Hunter is here. Also to take out the possible... forget the card name. The 6/6 that turns into a 9/9 if you have 15 or less health. Amazing play would be to Cabal his Corrupted Eggs. I only managed to do that once myself, but it is still amazing. Otherwise, be sure to heal, because with a full board he can do 21 damage to your face with Bloodlust.

What I used for Vaelastrasz:

No Caption Provided

You'll want to out-mill this guy. In retrospect, Coldlight Oracle didn't help me at all here. Though you can see the dreamplay where you dump your hand of low cost spells and then play Coldlight on his full hand so he'll overdraw 6 cards. I think this is relatively self-explanatory: it is basic milling. You'll want to make sure your hand is as empty as possible, while his is as full as possible. He'll overdraw, destroying his cards. Use Gang Up an any minion, really, so you'll gain 6 more cards. Try to play as many weapon buffs on a single weapon as possible, since you won't waste turns doing damage. Also, try to play a charge minion when you play Sharpsword Oil. Vanish when he floods his board with Molten Giants and Clockwork Giants. If possible, Gang Up on them first, then Vanish, or whatever else. I ended up winning even though he had nearly a full board of 8/8 minions because he had no cards left and thus took (1 + 2 + 3 + 4) 10 damage. I did enough damage with my weapon, spells and charge guys to get there.

What I used against Chromaggus:

No Caption Provided

So, basically... fuck this guy. He sucks. I think this is a shitty match up. You are 99% dependant on pure luck in this. Of course, Hearthstone remains a game based around RNG, but usually it means making decisions that turn the RNG in your favor or anticipating things. Here, it's just pressing the play button and playing the best possible cards until you finally get lucky enough to win. I didn't have a lot of fun with this one. You'll want to tap twice before you do anything else so his Blue Affliction won't enter your hand. This saves you spending 3 mana. You can have Green in your hand all day until the final blows, so don't even worry about that. You can have Red in your hand for a very long time too. If you ever have Blue or Bronze in your hand and you don't play them, you lose. Period. Black can be extremely tough, though if you have that in your hand for a turn you can still win. Mistress of Pain is MVP here. Use Demon Heart on her for insane value that you'll sorely need. If you don't draw her and Demon Heart, you're likely to lose. Next to that, try to play the Giants whenever you can and taunt them up. Replacing your hero with Jaraxxus and having Mal'Ganis on the board is insane too. This is what happened to me and is the reason I probably won. Red Affliction didn't matter anymore and I had a 2 mana summon an 8/8 hero ability. Crazy. You can also try to get lucky with Soulfire and Doomguard to discard the Afflictions. Worked for me sometimes. Good luck. This one sucks.

What I used against Nefarius:

No Caption Provided

Similar to Chromaggus: screw this guy. Just keep retrying until you get it. He seems to ignore Vitality Totem somewhat. It can linger for 2+ turns before he deals with it. Earth Shock his Twilight Drakes, Hex any large creature like Drakonid Crusher. I actually managed to MCT a Drakonid Crusher that he cast Ancestral Spirit on. That was lucky. Try to control the board until you can cast Windfury on high damage minions. Play the Giants when applicable and use Sunfury on them. Annoy-O-Tron saves a fair amount of damage early on. Between the two Vitality totems, you should be able to regain about 16 health. Sometimes even more. I only got DIE! INSECT! from Ragnaros and it hit his face, so you shouldn't be dependant on him, although it can help of course to get a strong minion. But yeah, pretty much keep at it until you get it. I think this took me 5-6 tries with this deck.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hidden Laboratory

What I used to defeat Omnotron:

No Caption Provided

You need to get a bit lucky, but this one is pretty easy otherwise. Leave Omnotron's first hero ability alive (+2 Spell Damage) and his third as well (Spells cost 3 less). Try to get Gadgetzan with Far Sight or Ancestor's Call. And then use all spells on his face. Since all of Shaman's spells are 3 or lower in cost, you'll actually be able to draw cards and use them on his face in one turn until you win. Getting Malygos with Ancestor's Call during this insanity would be great too.

What I used to defeat Maloriak:

No Caption Provided

It took me like 4 hours to beat this guy. He is poorly designed. I started looking for decks online, and in every single comment section there were people saying they've been trying for hours with the suggested decks and couldn't win. It is the most RNG based boss ever, and considering we're talking about Hearthstone Heroic, that's pretty fucking bad. If he casts his Aborations on turn one or two, you should immediately concede. If you don't have a good hand, you should immediately concede. If he has 'poor cards' and you have a great hand, you have a very small chance of defeating him. Mechwarper is a must in this match up, on turn two. Then you need 3 mechs on the following turn. If you can't make this play, you won't beat him. In the end, you'll want to summon V-07-TR-ON for 32 damage to face and win. Good luck. This boss totally sucks. Worst one out of all Blackrock Mountain. Shitty design. I hope it's not a taste of what's to come.

What I used to beat Atramedes:

No Caption Provided

Try to freeze his face forever. Only in the worst of circumstances should you destroy his weapon. If all goes well, you'll never have to destroy it. In the end, he had a 27 / 5 weapon for me.

What I used to defeat Nefarius (again):

No Caption Provided

This is not a specialized deck for Nefarius. This is one of my 'standard' Paladin Dragon decks. It seemed to work well against him. Got him in two tries. Control the board and destroy his armor. After you kill Onyxia, you might want to play Deathwing to even out the playing field. Note he says: 'Daddy?' as you play Deathwing. Pretty sweet. This wasn't a hard boss for me, but that could be variance.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BisonHero

@zevvion:Yeah, the uneven difficulty of the adventures is really getting irritating. The nonheroic versions of bosses are often a cakewalk, and you don't even have to build a special deck to fight them. Then for the heroic versions, your options are:

• the fight is surprisingly easy and you can still just aggro rush them and kill them faster than they can kill you (though this is a small number of them)
    • or you can just cheese them out with Freeze Mage or a mill deck as long as you stall hard enough (this applies to seemingly over 50% of them)
    • or some of them are just RNG hell where even when you build a custom deck expressly suited to the fight, the only way it's even remotely possible is if they get the most wretched starting hand possible for their deck, and you get the most ideal starting hand possible, oh and also all of their super OP cards are on the bottom of the deck and you draw into a perfect curve

I could forgive this kind of "throw darts at wall, see what works, repeat" game design from like, the original designers of Magic: The Gathering because they just had fuck all to base it on at the time. But in 2015, when CCGs are over 20 years old, it's weird to see Blizzard just kinda fumble about with various aspects of Hearthstone's game design, when there are plenty of other CCGs to learn those mistakes from beforehand. It feels like they've learned anti-lessons from Naxxramas, where only a few Heroics were real RNG fuckers, whereas this time I would say at least twice as many Heroics are just frustratingly cheap unless you draw perfectly and the boss draws horribly.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So I finally went through and beat all these dudes on Heroic and I have to say, the fact that the default strategy of "Use Priest make big Deathlord OTK" is getting really old. I swear it works on literally half the bosses you fight, which is lame because it's pretty much the most elementary strategy and combo in the entire game. I feel like Blizzard just thinks up some broken nonsense and says "This is fine, I'm sure the community will figure out a way to beat it, if not, they can just Priest OTK." and then call it a day. It's particularly bad with BRM, I don't remember it being as ridiculous in Naxx.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: I mean, it varies. Some bosses have horseshit Assassinate equivalents that only cost like 2-4 mana so they just instakill your Deathlord because the AI tends to consider any Taunt to be high priority for spells. And then yeah, the bosses that don't have those spells are often super easy to cheese with certain Priest Inner Fire bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bisonhero My problem is, I love playing Warrior the most, but for 90% of the bosses you might as well not even try with a Warrior, it just doesn't work. I feel like a properly designed boss encounter in a card game should be beatable by any class given the right deck construction, but It doesn't feel that way.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like a properly designed boss encounter in a card game should be beatable by any class given the right deck construction, but It doesn't feel that way.

I'm fairly certain that's the case for the normal difficulty. Not sure there are any unbeatable bosses there for a particular class. But I feel like if they were to attempt that for the heroics, every boss would feel very samey and no one encounter would be able to reach any great highs. Every one would need to be brought down to a certain baseline. It'd be too constrictive. And maybe I only think that because the game has only been out for a year and each class is still fairly unique--you can't do everything with every class. When more cards get released and each class has more options it will probably be possible to return and beat all the heroics with all the classes.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zevvion

I just don't think some of the heroics are that interesting right now though. Or the bosses in general, really... I liked the Nefarius fight because Ragnaros gave you a card every turn that was really fun to use. It wasn't challenging, sure. But it was a ton of fun to play. It's the only boss I've replayed a couple of times on Normal, just because it's fun to do.

I think they need more stuff like that. Because overall, the AI is just too stupid to make anything that fun. They need insanely overpowered cards to even make it a fair fight. The heroics go way too far on that stuff sometimes though, to the point where victory is basically dependent on luck only.

This might sound weird, but maybe they should make the heroics easier in the interest of fun. Have Ragnaros send you a bunch of cards, have Illidan summon random flame minions to your side, have Chromaggus randomly add weird cards to your hand that help you... yes, it would make the heroics easier, but also more fun. Right now, it just feels like a pure RNG grind to me that I do to get that cardback. Which is a very sweet cardback to be sure. But now I feel like: luckily I won't have to do that ever again anymore. I should feel how I felt about the Nefarius battle though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.