Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Has anyone spent money

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

...on this game yet? I've spent $3 to get the Gelbin promo card but nothing else other than that. Really tempted to just put down $50 for 40 packs and get some of the staple commons and rares.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I was in the beta really early so I spent 18 bucks prior to the wipe because you got the money back and I wanted to play some Arenas; haven't spent anything since the wipe. Also beta keys sold for a shitload back then so really I was just saying thanks to Blizzard (also subbed to WoW for a month for the first time in 5 years, moderately enjoyable but didn't renew). I have basically every excellent legendary now (Sylvanas, Ragnaros, Ysera, Velen, few others) just from playing/being pretty good at arena and 1500 gold to spare (though I had 2700 a week ago)

If you just do dailies and play arena and say average 5 wins or something you'll eventually catch up and Arena will be fair but probably challenging. They buffed the shit out of the early gold gains and nerfed the shit out of the good run gold gains; so you can go 2-4 wins and get more than 50 gold back, and you can go 7-11 wins and only get 150.

Don't bother with Ranked until you have a solid deck, even then its generally more boring and tedious than it was before and the higher ranked you get the more boring your casual games will be.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I threw down $50 on packs right before the beta ended because it would give me the best $ to Gold conversion and I knew I was going to stick with Hearthstone for a while. I frittered away a fair chunk of it doing 4+ Arena runs per day for a while and eventually stabilized, sitting around 2.25k Gold for the past month or so.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white said:

...on this game yet? I've spent $3 to get the Gelbin promo card but nothing else other than that. Really tempted to just put down $50 for 40 packs and get some of the staple commons and rares.

Same as you, just to get Gelbin. Got 3 other legendaries in free packs after that, but 2 of them are crap and all of them are class specific.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I should note Warlock blitz takes like 200 dust + commons to make at most, I'm 13-0 or something with it. It's the easiest deck to win with right now, though only debatably the absolute best. Only rare you absolutely need is Defender of Argus.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By white

I am sitting on some cash after liquidated my Diablo 3 assets. What better way to spend that money on other than buying virtual trading cards? I mean, it's not like I would be buying pieces of printed special cardboard that doubles as trading cards, right? Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white: You don't really need to spend money and you'd have to spend like 100 bucks to make the ridiculous Paladin deck or what have you; I'd recommend just playing and doing the dailies.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave said:

@white: You don't really need to spend money and you'd have to spend like 100 bucks to make the ridiculous Paladin deck or what have you; I'd recommend just playing and doing the dailies.

Yea... But it's kinda of a grindy slow pace. I'm not super fantastic at the Arena, averaging out at 3-5 wins (so that's about an Arena game per 2 days, maybe 3?), depending on what I got in the draft pool and whether my hand wants to curve to the left or the right.

EmptyApartment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EmptyApartment

Yeah before the initial wipe I spent some bucks to open some packs since I couldn't resist lol Once the wipe happened they refunded you back with gold & now Ive been mostly using that for Arena's and getting packs that way. Works out, plus don't really mind spending some money on a game I play as much as this one.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@morningstar: Which class legendaries do you have? King Krush is the only sort of useless one (inferior version of Ragnaros), every other one is useful in some respect. Al'Akir is good with Rockbiter for instance.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By morningstar

@fredchuckdave: Cenarius, not that good but not that bad. Van Cleef, never goes long before a silence or removal is used, and Jarxxus, who is awesome. Love him to bits, even if he is not always that useful. Just a fun card, with fun emotes and a great visual effect. And his hero power is of course ridicuolus :)

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nok

@white: Yeah I spent about ten bucks on arena runs but now just doing dailies and playing ranked games and making tons of gold so no need to spend more.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: Cenarius is great, Van Cleef is pretty good (people don't run silence at the higher levels), Jaraxxus is hilarious but rarely game winning.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morningstar

@fredchuckdave: Van Cleef is a little too rng for my taste, but he is allright. Cenarius is a little weak for his cost but if you have some units out his buff is just immense.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@morningstar: Cenarius is at worst a 9/12 for 9, which next to Deathwing is the highest stats in the game (and he's a lot better than Deathwing in most situations); 9 mana is usually your whole turn which makes him merely good instead of amazing; but he can combo with innervate and so on.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Yeah, sure, I need a lot more druid cards to use that deck though. Most expensive deck to craft I hear. I'm only playing casually though, I've barely touched ranked and is only 15.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: Cenarius is at worst a 9/12 for 9, which next to Deathwing is the highest stats in the game (and he's a lot better than Deathwing in most situations); 9 mana is usually your whole turn which makes him merely good instead of amazing; but he can combo with innervate and so on.

Cenarius is 5/9, not 9/12. And he doesn't taunt himself. I don't count the treants as part of his PT since they're so easily removed it doesn't make a difference.

Cenarius is just a bad card. Expensive board impact and little board presence.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've spent zero money. Like, why would you? You get gold at a decent enough rate.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By sammo21

I bought one pack just to get the promo card. That's it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@white: Well, there's not much to say other than you're wrong straight up. 2/2's (with taunts no less) are useful else no one would ever pick the card Silver Hand Knight (one of the best common 5 drops in the game); even Hogger who is not nearly as good as Cenarius basically forces your opponent to use removal on him and is useful as a result. Cenarius isn't as good as Ragnaros or Ysera (though there are situations where he will be more useful than even them) but he's still pretty damn good. Considering we're talking very low ranked and casual play here it is one of the best cards in the game, though the same could be said for many legendaries. He's not Mukla. I have a druid deck that's like 25-2 or something and already has a bunch of excellent creatures in it, I would consider adding Cenarius if I had it, he is one of the best cards I can think of to double innervate, can't get big gamed, faceless doesn't do as much, poly and hex still leave you with 4/5 or 5/5 on the board and so on.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By white

@fredchuckdave: The reason why Silver Hand Knight is better is because it's a 5 drop. It's faster and quickly adds to the momentum. Hogger is better than Cenarius because he produces 2/2 EVERY turn for 6. Cenarius is a 9 drop that takes a whole turn to do, and at turn 9 there are better things to play than him. He's a 9 cost Savage Roar that is not a threat after his battle cry is used. I had Cenarius in my hand and I rarely play him because there are just better creatures with better board presence. Even an Ironbark Guardian or an Ancient of War is better.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope. I play only Arena, so I don't have to worry about owning cards. The daily quests and Arena rewards are enough to fund my Arena runs.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I've bought 3 packs, 1 to get Geblin and 2 because I was bored and wanted more cards managed to get a Rags and Ysera out of both packs so I'm good for now.

I really like the gold curve in this where you can pasically get a pack every 2 days or an Arena (I don't like that) every 3 on average.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Cenarius is in the top Druid deck in constructed at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.