Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heat Signature

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 21, 2017

An open-world space mercenary roguelite from the developer of Gunpoint.

Tom Francis made a new game! Anybody know if it's good?

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Today I decided to look up what Tom Francis, the dev behind Gunpoint, has been doing since Gunpoint came out. I really liked Gunpoint. To my surprise, I see that he released his new game, Heat Signature, just a week ago! I had no idea he was even working on a new title or that it was ready. The trailer seems super, super neat. Wondering if any of you guys have tried it?

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohhh there's the quick look. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks! @monkehhh

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Yeah Jeff also talked about it on a recent Bombcast, I believe, if you didn't catch that.

bricwall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bricwall

It is really fun. The split second choices you can make really affect the outcome of the missions. I've had ones that felt like they were going to be unwinnable suddenly turn around because of one choice like using a teleporter to swap places with a guard to get past a door that i can't unlock so I can kill the captain before I get caught. also breaking windows to launch yourself and others into space is consistently fun

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's incredible. I'm having a ton of fun with it and you can do a lot of really crazy things. This game can make you feel like a real badass. A lot of random things can happen too which basically let's you create your own fun little stories. There's a decent amount of gear, gadgets, weapons that can really be used in a lot of creative ways when combined. I just wish it had a an ability to show you video replays of missions. I pause a lot (as you should, it's a mechanic) and would really love to see all the crazy action unfold in real time after I finish a mission. Overall, I recommend it, it's a really fun game that lets you be very creative in your approach!

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Having spent 20 hours finishing one galaxy (and starting a new one) I'd give it 4 out of 5. Past the 15-hr point I think I had most of it figured out, although there's 1-2 more things I figured out (and of course the occasional one that goes horribly wrong). It's still an excellent game to play while watching streams or when you just want a 15-minute break.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I'm reaching the endgame and am very fond of it. Be aware that while it has the same humorous writing style Gunpoint had, it's not a major focus here at all. Heat signature is a very systems-heavy game. Finding out how all the deceptively simple game mechanics work together to create wonderful chaos and depth is the fun part. Challenge yourself and do seemingly brutally hard missions while trying to break them with the tools at your disposal. With a little practice it works more often than not and that's quite satisfying.

Definitely recommended!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will vouch for all the previous comments and also add: Have you ever thrown five wrenches at five people in roughly one second?

Because it's pretty good.

I could write a plethora of stories on the random things that have happened to my characters in the game. It's easily the best game that I've played in (many) short bursts of an hour or so, sometimes longer, while being able to come back to it effortlessly the next day. The systems can be simple, but the way they interact can be wild. Some of the best missions are ones where you don't have the right tools to deal with some guards (or all guards, if RNG decides to hate you) but managing to complete it anyway. Mostly by exploding engine rooms.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By clagnaught

It's pretty neat. I've only put two hours into it, but my suggestion is pay attention to the descriptions, equipment, and enemies. During the first couple missions I thought, "Is this really it?", as I was only playing easy and medium difficulty missions. The deeper in you go, you have time limits, armored guards that ignore a lot basic attacks, guards that have a protective aura around them if they detect you. It has some Hotline Miami vibes, but with gadgets. So far I've been playing it in 20-30 minute chunks. I admire the game, but I need to see what the long term progression is.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's good, very good. One of the first times I can honestly say I've experienced the "emergent gameplay" thing people describe when it comes to rogue-like/lites (I do not play many of them).

It's easy to have 2-3 hours melt away without realizing it, and I consider that to be a sign of a pretty cool game. I've put the game on the back-burner now that I think I kinda "get" it on a surface-level and want to delve further into it on my Extra Life stream, but I think about playing it quite often (another good sign).

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't really like it because of the Hotline Miami gameplay but if you're into that this is probably bloody fantastic.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: Even though I only played like the first few levels of Hotline 1, that's the first game that popped into my head when I thought about describing the gameplay. It both is, regarding the top-down, "go smack that dude with a thing" nature of it, but also isn't, because you're the god of time and can pause it and do some really dumb shit and it somehow works. Or doesn't work and fails hilariously.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I felt like the game really started to open up once I started playing some of the Defector missions. Not in the sense that they unlock some cool new things (I'm not even sure if they unlock anything at all), but in the sense that they teach you all sorts of different ways to play and specific nuances of the mechanics you might have otherwise not noticed.

2 examples that come to mind are

• A mission that teaches you about throwing weapons (specifically that thrown swords are guaranteed to hit blade first) by giving you an armor-piercing long sword on a ship of explosive, armored guards.
    • A mission that teaches you about both the pickpocket mechanic and the strengths/weaknesses of sidewinder teleporters by putting you on a ship full of locked doors equipped only with 2 self-charging long range sidewinders.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.