Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Heavy Rain Demo Thoughts

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

It has a crazy amount of outcomes on the surface, then if you think about it then it seems more scripted, then you relize it is less scripted than you previously thought, then you relize the outcome is basically the same no matter what, then you notice how fucking good the graphics are, and then you think it's just a long ass cutscene, then you fall in love with it warts and all. 

Your thoughts?   

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. If you wait before stepping in to save the chick, her face is more bruised in cutscenes. Wow!
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I'm hoping the difference between leaving an area beaten and bruised or muddy versus being in good shape have some effect in the longer term of the full game.  For example, there are many levels of being beaten up you can end that fight.  You can take no hits at all or you can be bleeding and bruised and in too much pain to walk right or even close the door.  I also hope the information you gather or not makes a big difference.

Definitely the best human face modelling in a game ever, and the apartment's environment is the best I've seen too.  (the dynamic shadows, the lighting, the mirrors!  MULTIPLE WORKING MIRRORS!)

I'm pretty hyped for the game, I just hope every scene has some major relevance and it's less of a story you just play through (like so many games).

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Press L2 to read thoughts man, jeez.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Your spoiler text isn't hidden :P  At least not to me...  weird.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " Your spoiler text isn't hidden :P  At least not to me...  weird. "
    You have special a special eye.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By handlas
    @DirrtyNinja said:
    " @ahoodedfigure said:
    " Your spoiler text isn't hidden :P  At least not to me...  weird. "
    You have special a special eye. "
    Spoilers seem to be messed up now.  In another thread the Spoiler tag was there but the comment was completely visible.  This thread I can see the spoiler still but at least it is white text so it is a bit harder :p

I like how the detectives face gets more beat up depending on how much punishment you take during the fight.  If you notice during some videos of the same character in the grocery store his face is bruised a bit.  So I guess your wounds stick with you through the game which is awesome if so.  Plus the mud on the CSI dood stayed on him through the scene which was also neat....I like little things like that.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By RobotHamster

I thought it was good, I have to play the full game to get a full grasp of it though.

monster9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By monster9999

Ya the walking around is a little clunky but the character interaction is great....Except that random prostitute chick, her voice is ridiculously annoying

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I was impressed. Walking looks a bit weird though, considering everything else looks pretty fluid.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive

spoiler tags never work right for me either. 

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bluemantra

My expectations are met. I've been following this game for a while and after playing the demo I can't wait to get the full game. Simply amazing!!!

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NegativeCreep

This game is just soaked in atmosphere. I'm really impressed.

The QTE's are also VERY responsive and feel natural, which I was very worried about. This allowed me to kick some serious ass as Shelby without missing a beat. For a QTE based fight sequence, that shit was intense.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By turboman

I think the larger outcomes will be seen throughout the length of the game... this stuff is probably pretty early and the developers want the same outcome for just about everything(leaving business card vs. forgetting to leave business card could be a huge difference, for example)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

It's pretty much a 3d Japanese virtural novel...and anyone who says so otherwise is blatantly lying to themselves.  

Not that it's bad!  I still plan on getting this day one, and as my only game to buy until God of War 3 comes out. 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By beforet
    @KaosAngel: Not sure I would call it a novel before calling it a movie. 

The demo was intriguing. I'll be interested in playing the full product.

And yeah, that fight with Shelby was one of the few that had me on the edge of my seat.
    Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Mayu_Zane
    @TurboMan said:
    " I think the larger outcomes will be seen throughout the length of the game... this stuff is probably pretty early and the developers want the same outcome for just about everything(leaving business card vs. forgetting to leave business card could be a huge difference, for example) "
    Yeah, I think leaving a business card for the woman could make a huge difference later in the storyline. Something that seems insignificant could turn out to be beneficial; perhaps she actually does remember/find something about the murder and then rings up Shelby.

Personally I hope as Shelby you can review what you've heard from the victims' parents.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Marz

I played the demo just awhile ago,  first impression was that the controls were very awkward.  Then it got easier to grasp once you go to that crime scene.  There's something about controlling the motions of certain things as they happen that makes it feel satisfying.  Even though i thought the demo itself was kind of boring it kinda makes you want to see how the full game pans out.  Think i will preorder to check it out.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NintenDood

Just played the demo a few hours ago, and damn, Quantic Dream really knows how to change the game's narrative/gameplay on the fly.
    I LOVED the Shelby fight scene, as you can get extremely bloodied up, or turn out just ok, and he'll leave the area differently. I watched my brother play that scene again, and he actually got the girl to tell him about her son, while all she told me was to 'fuck off'. I really hope the full game can capture those sort of unique dialogue outcomes that the Shelby scene showed. 
    So in short, I FRIGGIN loved it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.