Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Heavy Rain Impressions (Possible Spoilers)

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Pessh

So I just got done playing a short section of the game, and I am now eagerly anticipating February 26th. I feel describing the game won't do it justice, and it's something that needs to be experienced, but I'll try my best. I played two sections; the first was as a private detective, looking for someone in an apartment to enquire about a murder. Let's be clear, this is not an action packed face paced madness from the likes of Modern Warfare 2. You'll walk around pretty slowly, perhaps too slowly, (as far as I'm aware there is no sprint or anything of the like) perform some quick time-esque events using the analogue sticks to use your asthma pump, and engage in drawn out conversations. That may not seem like much fun, but I never once found it tiresome, as I was so engaged. After all that though I did fight a dude, and the pace picked up significantly. The fight consisted on the same analogue stick motions and button presses, but this time I was required to perform them in succession at speed. Every action resulted in something, whether it be slamming the bitch through a table, grabbing his arm before he could stab me in the through with a bottle or just punching him.

The second section I played was much different. This time I was an FBI agent investigating a crime scene. There was a lot more to the gameplay, as this time you have ‘special detective glasses and a glove’ that allow you to see things the human eye normally can’t, such as blood, pollen. The glasses also have a database of...well pretty much everything. It was quite interesting, but again, slow paced and lacking action which may turn some people off. After examining the scene the gameplay came to an end.

(Trying to stay brief on plot details, don’t want to ruin it for anyone.)

The dialogue seemed good enough. During the more important conversations it’s multiple choice, but rather than choices of exactly what to say, you get a choice of actions such as pressure, trick etc. Fortunately, the voice acting wasn’t awful.

The controls seemed a little awkward, but perhaps I’ll get used to them. Both of the analogue sticks are used to perform actions. That means that whenever you want to walk, which unsurprisingly is fairly often, you’ll need to hold down R2. Certain sections of the game require a button press, followed by another press whilst still holding down the previous button. This is where the controls got awkward for me, often finding my hands in impossible positions In order to progress, but I suspect this will become easier with time.

I really like the look of the game too. I’m not going to say it’s the best looking game ever, but it’s certainly not bad. One part in particular that comes to memory is the flashing ambulance lights in the dark of night during a torrential downpour; it looked great.

I really can’t speak highly enough of what I played, reading what I just wrote seems like nothing special, but in practice when experiencing it the game is something else. I suspect opinions of the game will be divided, similar to how opinions of MGS4 varied, with some describing it as bland, boring, and nothing special but if you give the game a chance and have some patience you could a completely unique video game experience. I for one can not wait, Heavy Rain has gone from an exclusive PS3 game that is apparently decent to a must buy for me.

If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading, I realise I wrote a fair bit.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pessh

So I just got done playing a short section of the game, and I am now eagerly anticipating February 26th. I feel describing the game won't do it justice, and it's something that needs to be experienced, but I'll try my best. I played two sections; the first was as a private detective, looking for someone in an apartment to enquire about a murder. Let's be clear, this is not an action packed face paced madness from the likes of Modern Warfare 2. You'll walk around pretty slowly, perhaps too slowly, (as far as I'm aware there is no sprint or anything of the like) perform some quick time-esque events using the analogue sticks to use your asthma pump, and engage in drawn out conversations. That may not seem like much fun, but I never once found it tiresome, as I was so engaged. After all that though I did fight a dude, and the pace picked up significantly. The fight consisted on the same analogue stick motions and button presses, but this time I was required to perform them in succession at speed. Every action resulted in something, whether it be slamming the bitch through a table, grabbing his arm before he could stab me in the through with a bottle or just punching him.

The second section I played was much different. This time I was an FBI agent investigating a crime scene. There was a lot more to the gameplay, as this time you have ‘special detective glasses and a glove’ that allow you to see things the human eye normally can’t, such as blood, pollen. The glasses also have a database of...well pretty much everything. It was quite interesting, but again, slow paced and lacking action which may turn some people off. After examining the scene the gameplay came to an end.

(Trying to stay brief on plot details, don’t want to ruin it for anyone.)

The dialogue seemed good enough. During the more important conversations it’s multiple choice, but rather than choices of exactly what to say, you get a choice of actions such as pressure, trick etc. Fortunately, the voice acting wasn’t awful.

The controls seemed a little awkward, but perhaps I’ll get used to them. Both of the analogue sticks are used to perform actions. That means that whenever you want to walk, which unsurprisingly is fairly often, you’ll need to hold down R2. Certain sections of the game require a button press, followed by another press whilst still holding down the previous button. This is where the controls got awkward for me, often finding my hands in impossible positions In order to progress, but I suspect this will become easier with time.

I really like the look of the game too. I’m not going to say it’s the best looking game ever, but it’s certainly not bad. One part in particular that comes to memory is the flashing ambulance lights in the dark of night during a torrential downpour; it looked great.

I really can’t speak highly enough of what I played, reading what I just wrote seems like nothing special, but in practice when experiencing it the game is something else. I suspect opinions of the game will be divided, similar to how opinions of MGS4 varied, with some describing it as bland, boring, and nothing special but if you give the game a chance and have some patience you could a completely unique video game experience. I for one can not wait, Heavy Rain has gone from an exclusive PS3 game that is apparently decent to a must buy for me.

If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading, I realise I wrote a fair bit.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Jackel2072

well thanks for posting your impressions. i didn't read to much of it because i don't want the demo spoiled for me (silly i know) 
    il check back once Ive played it

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TheHBK

Sounds good.  Looking forward to the demo.  What I want to know is if there will be some space boning.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

Official PS Magazine gave it 5/5, I'll be getting it after I get Bioshock 2.  

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I've always been very interested in trying it out just because its not your usual game nowadays, but I really have no idea what I think of what I've seen so far. I'm not really into a game that seems to be entirely built off of button press QTE like gameplay since I hate QTEs, but I still want to play it regardless and see for myself.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By skunk
    @Pessh: I know exactly how you feel man. I just finished playing a little after the detective part and man, I had to quit mid way cuz I didn't want to see anymore til I got the full game. I enjoyed it that much. Words don't do this game justice, you just have to play it. I totally agree on the awesome atmosphere/lighting.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Pessh said:

" Certain sections of the game require a button press, followed by another press whilst still holding down the previous button. This is where the controls got awkward for me, often finding my hands in impossible positions In order to progress, but I suspect this will become easier with time. "

As far as I read, this is a design choice - you're supposed to get those prompts when you're character is in an awkward, uneasy situation (like hiding somewhere or walking on a tiny rail, for example), to make you feel awkward too.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

The controls worked fine after you understand you have to let go of one button before pressing the next, as long as you keep the previous one held it will stay like that. My first attempts at it felt like hand twister before I figured  what I was actually meant to do. 

I have never had such mixed feelings over a videogame. The first thing that  I realised that it really is a game with actual controls and  everything althought handled very differently to other games. 
    It's beautifully lit and shot and  everything  has a nice atmosphere to it  and the music is definately great but oh my  the acting could not get any worse It feels like everybody is reading lines off of cards  all the time with the tone of things they say jumping all over the place...I went from being really nice to the lady to instantly snapping at her and then back to being nice... very weird coming off of a game like Mass Effect 2 which has beautifully flowing conversations. 
    I liked the hold-button sequences also...they took a bit of getting used to instead of just hitting button prompts but I'm sure once youre a bit into the game it will be second nature. 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

anyone make it up the muddy hill without falling down? :p

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunstarRed
    @handlas:
    no... 

also 

deleted the spoiler thing...
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas
    @marioncobretti: 

uhh wtf.

Spoiler tag is already clicked when I click on the thread.  So much for spoiler warning.  Not that it matters in this case tho cuz I dunno what you are talking about. 

edit:  Oh the glasses and glove?  There is a dev interview where he talks about it.  He claims that it is based on real technology....but I've never seen such a thing.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GunstarRed
    @handlas:
    the glasses... did you watch the trailer after the demo..theres fancy stuff going on in it
    Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Downloaded the demo and played it. The first part (set in an apartment) was awesome, second part was kinda meh. Scott Shelby, the private detective seems to be a lot more interesting character than Norman 'CSI guy' Jayden from the FBI.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Mayu_Zane said:

"  Downloaded the demo and played it. The first part (set in an apartment) was awesome, second part was kinda meh. Scott Shelby, the private detective seems to be a lot more interesting character than Norman 'CSI guy' Jayden from the FBI. "

I totally agree. I thought Scott Shelby had the best voice acting out of the whole bunch as well. Anyone find that this game is very similar to Indigo Prophecy? The way the story is structured is exactly the same. You play as a guy who is accused of murder and the people that are hunting him. It even does the whole update on the weather thing after each chapter like Indigo Prophecy did, except with rain this time.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Philosopher said:
    Anyone find that this game is very similar to Indigo Prophecy? The way the story is structured is exactly the same.
    It's made by the same developers. :) 

I too got the demo, and i have to say it's a completely different experience to what i'm normally used to playing. there are not that many games set in the present day so it is quite refreshing to see this setting come back. Can't wait for this game :)
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @RhombusOfTerror: 
    I know it's made by the same people. I liked Indigo Prophecy up until the end when it went all Matrix. I'm hoping they don't mess this game up with a terrible ending.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh
    @Mayu_Zane: We didn't see much of Jayden though. He might be a bit more interesting in the full game with the whole drug addiction thing.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By beforet

Yeah, this game is very similar to IP. I just hope that it doesn't remain that way for the entire game...

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mayu_Zane
    @Pessh said:
    " @Mayu_Zane: We didn't see much of Jayden though. He might be a bit more interesting in the full game with the whole drug addiction thing. "
    Wait, he's got a drug addiction problem? Didn't know that. Thought his shaking hands was because of some rain-related disorder and that blue stuff in the vial was his meds.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pessh
    @Mayu_Zane: Yep, addicted to Triptocane.
    JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus
    @handlas: Fell down once :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.