Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

On matches and glass shard-lined crawl spaces (spoilers)

walter_sobchak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By walter_sobchak

In the crawl-space tunnels at the power plant, you're supposed to light the matches to find your way towards the "fresh air" coming from the exit.  I'd imagine that fresh air would be blowing the flame away from the source since it is causing a breeze, but apparently the game designers envision a match burning towards the fresh air... because that's where the oxygen is?  I'm sorry, but matches don't quite work that way spent about 5 minutes turning around and around before I realized it was the opposite way I was expecting, with the match flame pointing towards the intended direction.  Anyone else find this odd?

black100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By black100

In reality, you would find an exit if you went where the fire pointed, or if you went the opposite way. 

The idea is that there is a breeze moving through the tunnel system, and the origin is where the wind is able to enter, and then the exit is where it would be escaping.  

Basically, if you followed the flame you would still find an exit.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

I didn't think it was causing a breeze, it was more that oxygen came from that way, and only that way, fires feed on oxygen and are drawn towards a source of fuel. It isn't going to blow away from what is powering it.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

Usually, there's a pressure gradient across the exit of the tunnel which pulls air from inside the tunnel to outside the tunnel. Meaning there's lower pressure outside the tunnel (because of the higher air flow) and higher pressure inside the tunnel (because of the stagnant air flow). Hence the air tends to flow from inside to outside, pulling the fire along with it.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @A_Faceless_Name said:
    " I didn't think it was causing a breeze, it was more that oxygen came from that way, and only that way, fires feed on oxygen and are drawn towards a source of fuel. It isn't going to blow away from what is powering it. "
    Oxygen is a gas, there isn't going to be 'more oxygen' on one side of the match.

There was a slight breeze coming from outside through the vents, because the wind originates from outside and blows into the building, following the direction of the flame will lead you further into the building, while going the opposite direction would theoretically lead you to an exit from the building, or at least to where the wind is coming in from outside.
    Ihatespaces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ihatespaces

That happened to me the first time too, but once I hit the dead end I realized I was supposed to follow which way the flame was pointing. It didn't really make sense to me, but I did it anyways.

Also, that shit with the conductors was fucking intense. I was right in the middle with one burn left before I died. I had messed up on a few, and on one I didn't realize I was supposed to press the button repeatedly instead of just holding it down (this actually messed with me a couple of other times in the game as well.) I managed to get out before I died though, and goddamn was I relieved.

Never before has a game made me worry so much for the characters.

Well... maybe except for Final Fantasy Tactics. But that's another story.

walter_sobchak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By walter_sobchak
    mignoncurieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was confusing me too because I was imagining that if I were blowing on a match, the flame would point away from me. So I figured if air was going through that it would blow the flame the opposite way too so when I first realized I went the wrong way I didn't understand that and looked it up. I guess I am going where the flame points, which still seems odd to me even after reading a few comments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.