Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Her Story

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 24, 2015

Players must search a fictional police database and watch live-action interviews of a woman whose husband went missing. The game is from Sam Barlow, the director of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Aisle.

Her Story: FMV Done Right

Avatar image for deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc
    deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

For those of us who believe in the still largely untapped potential of Full Motion Video, the release of Sam Barlow's intricate and fascinating new adventure game "Her Story" is great news indeed. The unique premise of the game is that the player character is given access to a database of fragmented old police recordings originating from a murder investigation. By watching the videos (which have been conveniently transcribed/subtitled as well as "tagged" in the database), new keywords naturally present themselves and it becomes possibly to delve ever deeper into the database and discover as many clips as possible. The overarching objective is of course to piece together what actually happened, while being constantly on the lookout for discrepancies in the testimony which might shed some light on whether the suspect (intelligently played by actress Viva Seifert) is lying or not.

Even on the surface level this is a clever and innovative approach to the whodunnit adventure, but Barlow doesn't stop there. Partly a commentary on our media-fuelled voyeuristic fascination with spectacular court cases, "Her Story" also turns the player's inquisitive gaze back on itself and explores (among other things) our tendency to squeeze an often messy reality into neat little narrative constructs and reduce real people to mere heroes and villains.

Developer interview with Rock Paper Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/23/text-lies-and-videotape-her-story-interview/

Offical website:

http://www.herstorygame.com/

Steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/368370/

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Definitely gonna give this a go next week.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I hadn't heard of this game previously but having read two threads on it here I am now incredibly fascinated. I realize it came out today but I would love to hear thoughts from people who have played some of it.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Saw the PC Gamer review of it, and they really liked it. Seems like a really cool way to use FMV, and a pretty clever way to do a narrative in a game.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

This sounds right up my alley. Gonna dig into it this weekend. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more games like this.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well.. I just brought it. Apparently it's a 1.5-3 hr game so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got to wait until payday next week, but this is definitely on my list of things to buy.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By whitegreyblack

I grabbed this today with the 15% off sale at Steam, but I think I'll hold off until I get back from a trip next week because I think my wife would really dig sitting in on this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Sounds interesting!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yep, really into it so far. And yes, it's the best use of live acting I've seen.

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If anyone has played through this, how much of the horror vibe is in there? I played about 15 minutes and got to some clips where there was a creepy figure in the screen showing up after they ended, which successfully freaked me out as I don't play horror games very often. Are there any jump scares or anything of the sort?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@elvicerator: Didn't finish it but so far so good. The figure made me freak out too, I'm someone that can't stand horror at all, especially jump scares. I'm nearly two hours in and there's nothing else that is scary except that the story itself can get pretty tense.

Oh, by the way, very minor spoiler: the creepy figure is simply your reflection.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Never heard of this one before, looks pretty cool. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shindig

Acting seems a little flat but, other than that its a neat idea that's good for one run.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cirdain

I've finished it at 3 hours. It's very interesting. I don't really think it's anything more than that but it was a cool way of unravelling this odd tale. I'm glad I played it.

@elvicerator: No scares. Just a small interesting story.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played it for about three hours, and I haven't finished it yet. It's good. I was lying awake last night thinking about the story I've put together so far.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB are gonna do a quick look. Anything more than 5 mins long is gonna be a spoiler so I hope they keep it shorter than usual... It's gonna be 30 mins isn't it...

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this pretty much all the way through last night. I have a few clips left unearthed that I'm going to go back and try and find tonight. It's very very interesting as an experiment of story telling. I'm always fascinated by unreliable narrators. There is a twist kind of which is kind of insane and I guess the non-linear nature of it may mean you stumble upon it earlier or later than I did but just as I was starting to piece together things it really hit me for six. In terms of the "end" I'm not sure I picked the right choice...I said Yes but not I'm sat pondering on it all I'm not entirely sure I meant to say yes. Did I truly understand why she did it? I thought I had but now I'm certainly second guessing myself and wondering if No might have been a better option.

I have to say a massive thanks to @austin_walker his tweet about an upcoming interview here on Giantbomb inspired me to sit and play in one session and I'm really glad I did. Finally the game alludes to the fact it's set in and around Portsmouth my hometown which makes me happy perhaps the first game to be set in Portsmouth?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84: There is no difference between the 2 choices. I made sure I got everything before S.B. asked if I understood why she did it. I said No then S.B. said something like "That's understandable. Well, meet me across the road when you're done."

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By flameboy84

@cirdain: ah ok. Still though removing myself from being Sarah and thinking if I actually 100% understand why Eve did it and if she even did is still causing me the same conflict.Which I suppose shows the game has got it's teeth into me.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By YI_Orange

I don't know how to spoiler tag from my phone, so hey, gigantic spoiler here. Though I would advise not reading anything at all about this game if you're even on the fence. It's 5 bucks and a few hours. [Edit: Austin here, I just went in and added spoiler tags for you!]

Anyway, the big thing is I guess, she was totally split personality right? Some of the stuff they would have gotten away with is absurd. The problem though is the tattoo and bruise inconsistencies. I can't decide what I believe.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flameboy84

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.