Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 20, 2016

A Sci-Fi strategy game by Blackbird Interactive; a Canadian studio made up of ex-Relic Entertainment developers and creators of the Homeworld franchise.

I wish this game as getting more attention.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It's truly top notch. Its everything you want for a modern RTS from Ex-relic dudes, and a prequel to Homeworld. I feel like this will be forgotten by March.

Shame.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@seedofpower: ...okay but passive-aggressiveness aside, what is this game about? Sell it to me, a person who only has passing familiarity with Homeworld and liked the Dawn of War games (Relic did those, right?).

Ugundar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@seedofpower: I feel like they've chosen wrong release date. RTS fans are Homeworld fans may stuck here deeply, but the other strategic ga,es community will forget about Homeworld as soon, as X-com 2 is available.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Well they sure didn't market it at all. I think it looks great. Interesting that it actually seems quite loyal to the core tenets of Homeworld even with land vehicles. I hope to see a bit more on it but then I will be looking at a purchase at some point here.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

It sucks, but this is what happens when you release a game in the middle of January, with little-to-no marketing behind it, for $50. Don't get me wrong it looks great. But my backlog has just swollen up a lot thanks to the recent Steam sale.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus said:

@seedofpower: ...okay but passive-aggressiveness aside, what is this game about? Sell it to me, a person who only has passing familiarity with Homeworld and liked the Dawn of War games (Relic did those, right?).

Haha, I guess that does sound passive aggressive. I'm not one for long winded typing after work.

Mechanically, it plays like a mix of the previous games and Dawn of War/Company of Heroes. There is no base building, you have one stand alone carrier that is your center hub for you army/fleet, like in Homeworld. The combat is very very close to Dawn of War/Company of Heroes, but since its only vehicles terrain deformation plays a big part in engagements instead of cover.

Singleplayer has so far been varied and the multiplayer seems robust but all of this is a just a good first impression and I have a strong basis for RTS games, especially ones with a Relic pedigree.

@ugundar: That's what I'm scared of but I feel like these two games are different enough for people to remember both.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Saw some screenshots and it seems like a good looking RTS. What makes it Homeworld? The story, characters, vehicles, combat? Is there a space component to the game? Are there multiple factions?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Mostly story and aesthetic and various gameplay features.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Zurv

looks at some videos for it... you will "feel" the homeworld :)

Loading Video...

I, too, do hope they do a quicklook.. and a proper one. Not just fire it up for the first time in the video.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zurv
    No Caption Provided

oh.. this is a good sign :)

(That is vinny if you didn't know :) )

(also good that he playing more witcher 3)

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv: Sweet! Most likely hear about it on the the Beast Cast.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am torn between supporting the sort of RTS I love and being responsible with my money. It looks so goood though

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: It really is good. I've only played a couple hours but I've loved every minute. It definitely feels very Homeworld-y even though it's on a planet (stuff carrying over between missions is still a thing). I'm enjoying the story (loved the stories in the previous titles) quite a bit too.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@capum15: oh yeah the world is a major draw in Homeworld. I get a bit of a Dune vibe with all the clans and houses

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Dune is another universe I really enjoy and yeah, I can totally see that too.

I also really love the cutscenes' styyyyyyle. The moving paintings thing works really well.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i let the missions drag so i can level up my squads :) yeah. it is pretty darn good.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. Only a hour in so early thoughts. The setting and unit chatter is great.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anonymous_jesse: They have actual conversations if you just sit there and let them talk! I always love unit/idle chatter (and I've kept it on in Dragon's Dogma too).

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only two missions in, but it's like coming in from the cold reaches of space after a long time alone. I love that it fills in an important part of the Homeworld story, it isn't just a shoehorned prequel idea. Kharak is a central part of the Homeworld lore, so this really hits a home run for me.

I'm not an RTS gamer. I suck at RTS games but I've always loved Homeworld. Hopefully some multiplayer content and regular sales will keep people coming back. To me I think this feels like Blackbird had almost finished the game by the time Gearbox confirmed the Homeworld license, and they just want to push this out in preparation for a bigger, better Homeworld 3. I think the remastered edition sold pretty well so would give Gearbox another successful franchise while they experiment with that horrible shooter they are working on.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellerphant: Oh man I would totally be in for a Homeworld 3. The Remastered versions were the first time I actually got to play 1 and 2, but I had wanted to play them for a long time before that (I even did the original tutorial and man, it's noticeably dated, though the style was spot-on in comparison to RM).

It's too bad they didn't have the Cataclysm license or whatever it was keeping that from being included.

I wonder if they're planning to add Workshop support to Deserts. That would be rad.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I need this game.

Homeworld is my kind of RTS.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Very specific question - did they keep the part from Homeworld where you're punished in future missions for poor performance in past ones? (e.g. your ships carried over from one mission to the next one)

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Capum15

@veektarius: Your vehicles and stuff carry over between missions, but on the mission select screen I saw a 'Begin with standard army' checkbox (I'm not too sure on the wording, but it was something like that) and I would assume it starts you out with whatever they deemed appropriate, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not too sure if the difficulty/enemy unit amount is scaled like in Homeworld 1 and 2 though (there are easy/normal/hard difficulties to choose from, so I would think not, but I don't know). An amusing tactic in the previous games would be to scrap almost everything right before transitioning to the next mission, then pump out a big ol' army with all those credits, while facing only a small initial enemy force.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.