Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPhone

Platform »

The iPhone is a multimedia multi-touch smartphone created by Apple Inc.

I’m Making A Video Game: Begin!

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

Edited By samsaturday

Yes, it’s true: I’m working on my own iPhone game. Well, “games” is more accurate since I’ve got a couple in progress. “How did this happen,” you might ask? Sit down and let me tell you!

Last week I stumbled upon some software which claimed to make it “easy” to develop your own iPhone game without needing to know hard coding mumbo-jumbo. Sure, you’d have to learn the program’s language, come up with the game, design it, do the art, sound & music and somehow make it all work together yourself…but, hey, at least you don’t have to know how to code shit (whatever that means). So I decided to take the plunge into the world of game design. It was actually an inexpensive plunge, since the basic version of the software (which is called GameSalad) is free.

I spent several hours last weekend just reading about how GameSalad works and watching video tutorials. Somewhere in there I came up with my idea and started putting it together. I wasn’t exactly starting from scratch; there are a ton of free GS demos out there that you can learn from. Plus, every time I get stuck on a problem (which has happened a couple times this week) the people on the GS are pretty helpful.

So right now I’m jumping back and forth between two small games, and I might begin a third soon. I like this method because each game will have different challenges to overcome and learn from. So if I solve a problem in one, chances are that knowledge will come in handy with the other.

Once one game is completed I’m hoping to get it on the App Store for 99 cents per copy. I figure I should make a small game and sell it for cheap just to see what the experience is like. I’ll update more as I make progress building the games.   

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By samsaturday

Yes, it’s true: I’m working on my own iPhone game. Well, “games” is more accurate since I’ve got a couple in progress. “How did this happen,” you might ask? Sit down and let me tell you!

Last week I stumbled upon some software which claimed to make it “easy” to develop your own iPhone game without needing to know hard coding mumbo-jumbo. Sure, you’d have to learn the program’s language, come up with the game, design it, do the art, sound & music and somehow make it all work together yourself…but, hey, at least you don’t have to know how to code shit (whatever that means). So I decided to take the plunge into the world of game design. It was actually an inexpensive plunge, since the basic version of the software (which is called GameSalad) is free.

I spent several hours last weekend just reading about how GameSalad works and watching video tutorials. Somewhere in there I came up with my idea and started putting it together. I wasn’t exactly starting from scratch; there are a ton of free GS demos out there that you can learn from. Plus, every time I get stuck on a problem (which has happened a couple times this week) the people on the GS are pretty helpful.

So right now I’m jumping back and forth between two small games, and I might begin a third soon. I like this method because each game will have different challenges to overcome and learn from. So if I solve a problem in one, chances are that knowledge will come in handy with the other.

Once one game is completed I’m hoping to get it on the App Store for 99 cents per copy. I figure I should make a small game and sell it for cheap just to see what the experience is like. I’ll update more as I make progress building the games.   

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Game design rule 1: Finish a game, then move on to another one.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By samsaturday
    @nintendoeats: Working on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.