Looks Like Microsoft’s Bringing Back Killer Instinct (NOT!)

#1 Edited by ch3burashka (5239 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/04/killer-instinct-trademark-renewal-refused

So, that's bullshit.

I'm guessing registering a trademark is different than simply putting out a product, but how is this rejected based on a cancelled 2005 show (that no one remembers), and yet Wipeout gets to make a game when there's been a ton of Wipeout racing games for about a decade before the show game came out?

Hopefully this doesn't put Microsoft off of still making it. I don't see the reason why they need a trademark anyway.

Also, isn't the phrase "Killer Instinct" just something that belongs to everyone? I'm pretty sure this came up before, where similar trademarks for common phrases were rejected on the basis of being too common.

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

This isn't surprising.

#3 Edited by Nightriff (5328 posts) -

Pulled out my SNES last week, popped in Killer Instincts because I have great memories of it..... It is a terrible game. Probably no reason to bring it back.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4486 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

This isn't surprising.
#5 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Somewhere, a Microsoft trademark lawyer is sitting in a dejected slump, wondering what the hell just happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.