Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Do you need to play Killzone 1 to fully appreciate Killzone 2?

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By bassman2112

Hey guys =)

I've just finished up with the Multiplayer beta for KZ3 (downloading the single player overnight) and really enjoy it. I was thinking of playing through KZ2 just to get some story before playing 3 when it drops.

The thread title is prettymuch it, will I lose a lot of the story by not playing the first game?
     Thanks <3

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

Helghast attack people, people go and attack Helghast. Shit goes sideways. There you go, Killzone 1 and 2 right there.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By niamahai

Start of KZ2 - You realize Rico is an idiot wannabe gangsta.   

End of KZ2 - FUCK YOU RICO~~~~~~

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

How could you not have played the great Halo Killer that was Killzone 1. For shame!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Aetheldod
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " How could you not have played the great Halo Killer that was Killzone 1. For shame! "
    Yeah >:3

Now joking aside , I love the first Killzone but I dont think people that liked KZ2 or KZ3 would like the first one , and the story is... well you see why Helgans arent liked by the Vektan , but is not all that instrumental to the understanding of the Killzone saga , oh yea FYK Rico is still batshit crazy in the first game too
    JiggyDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JiggyDino

I say you can skip Killzone 1.  The only thing I'd say that the first one could do is that you can recognize some characters in the second one.  But story wise, not much to it.  I heard reading about the fiction somewhere is pretty good cause they have a way more developed universe than what they have just in the games or something.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

I played Killzone 2 without playing 1 and I was just fine.  To be honest, the story isn't all that engaging anyway.  You're the good guys, the other guys are bad, you need to shot them.  Any detail beyond that isn't all that important.  Plus, most of the details seemed to be Killzone 2 specific.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iDarktread
    @JasonR86 said:
    " You're the good guys, the other guys are bad, you need to shot them. "  
    MEME INCOMING, TAKE COVER!
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Not at all. KZ1 and 2 are drastically different games. Even the returning characters (Rico, Templar, Evelyn) feel like completely different people and the story is barely connected and nothing Wikipedia can't fill you in on. 

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Nah. I'm pretty sure you can read all that story stuff and more from the game's website.
    Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stete

I would say do not even touch Killzone 1, even though it looks amazing for a PS2 game, the game controls horribly, a far cry from the refined controls they had in Killzone 2. 

As far as story goes, you ain't missing much since there's a different protagonist. The only thing I would recommend you to see is the intro video of Killzone 1 (cause it's downright awesome) but the rest of the plot is mostly forgetable.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By korolev

You won't hate Rico as much, which might be a good thing as he seems to be in Killzone 3 a lot. 

But no - Killzone 2's storyline was a paper thin mess that takes about three sentences to explain.... actually, I think I can do that - let's go:  

1) The Helghast once invaded a planet of the ISA, and the ISA kicked them off, now the ISA have gone to Planet Helghan (the eye-glowing-est place on earth) to capture the leader of the Helghans 
    2) They fight a lot, then they fight some more, then they fight again, then there's a little fighting, and to top it all off, they kill some more dudes. 
    3) It doesn't quite go as planned, the ISA manage to achieve their objectives, but the Helghans destroy the bulk of the ISA forces in a pyrrhic attack, and that sets up Killzone 3. 

There you go - that's about all you need to know. There are one or maybe *gasp* TWO plot points I left out (in case you're worried about spoilers), but that's pretty much all you need to know. Killzone isn't played for its story, much in the same way Call of Duty games usually aren't either. The story is just there to give structure and a goal, nothing more.  

If you want to know why people hate Rico so much, you have to play Killzone 2. You should not play  Killzone 1 - that game, ambitious as it was, was a monumental mess and a classic, classic case of how being too ambitious can cripple a game. Killzone 2 was ambitious, surely, but not as ambitious as Killzone 1, which attempted current generation graphics on PS2 hardware. I'm not saying they achieved current generation graphics, but they tried, and they failed miserably - so much so that it looked bad AND had a lousy frame rate AND had bland, enclosed environments. Killzone 1 was a painful, painful game. 

Luckily, Killzone 2 was pretty awesome, so all's forgiven, and it looks like Killzone 3 will be also great. 

But don't buy Killzone 2 - Multiplayer's a wasteland (at least in Australia it is) and that was at least 50% of the reason to buy it in the first place. Better just buy Killzone 3, which will have a lot of folks playing it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

no

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

Don't play Killzone now. You'll regret it. Just got straight to number 2.

Fearsome121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fearsome121

The one amazing thing i found when i just popped killzone 1 back in was the melee! I totally forgot how Luger could throw her knife into the neck of a helghast soldier before running up close and slicing his neck with the implanted knife, so cool and now that i think about how they're focusing alot on melée in Killzone 3, it was kind of a weird omission from Kz2.

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By allenibrahim

Nope. Killzone 1 is not necessary for anything. Great looking, badly controlled first person shooter. Just play 2 because it's pretty fun, build Rico Rage (someone tradmeark that!), then play 3. 

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ghostiet

No. It's shit. Though playing it will probably make you admire KZ2 even more.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Bassman2112 said:
    " Hey guys =)  I've just finished up with the Multiplayer beta for KZ3 (downloading the single player overnight) and really enjoy it. I was thinking of playing through KZ2 just to get some story before playing 3 when it drops.  The thread title is prettymuch it, will I lose a lot of the story by not playing the first game?  Thanks <3 "
    I found no problems, although Liberation for the PSP had all the gaps filled in for me by the time KZ 2 came out 
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BUCK3TM4N
    @blacklabeldomm: ya they said it would kill halo but did not

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.