Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone 2 - First Impressions

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By ttocs

I'm an avid FPS fan.  I think the only genre that matches my love of FPS is a good Western RPG (with the occasional JRPG thrown in).  So, it's easy to see why I picked up Killzone 2 on the first day it was available.  I was pretty excited about it, but didn't buy into the big hype train that has been rolling through internet land for some time now.  So, after playing the game for a good 6-7 hours, there are a couple things I love and a few things I'm not too thrilled about.  They are below.

Graphics: Wow.  Just, wow.  I knew the game was going to look good, but this game looks amazing.  It's not evident at first either.  When you see the characters talking, you think, "Yeah, they look good, but they aren't THAT good."  It's not until you get into a firefight in the middle of a refinery type place and see buildings soaring overhead with flags barely visibly blowing in the distance.  With bullets whizzing by, you notice the wall chip off where impact was made.  This game scores an A+ in ambiance visuals.  You can really get lost in this world.

Controls: I'm not too crazy about the controls.  They aren't bad, you can definitely make due with them, but they aren't that great.  I haven't put my finger on why either.  Some people are saying it has to do with the reaction time the game takes to notice you pushed the analog stick.  I don't know...but whatever it is, it needs to be looked into (which Guerrilla are currently doing).  Don't let this hamper your enjoyment of the game though.  You can definitely get through the game with the controls a little off.  If you are a CoD FPS player, or a Left 4 Dead shooter fan, the change may be rough, as it was with me.  Online is a little tough too.  Plus, you may need to change the default control scheme.  On default, L1 is melee and R3 is down the scope.  I changed this so that they switched and it was more like a COD type setup.  This is just personal preference though.  With this change though, the one thing that is lacking now is cover.  L2 is cover and L1 is scope now, so it makes for an awkward learning curve.  But, you get over it.  Also, there is a configuration to make it so you can either stay in down the scope mode until you hit a button, or until you release the button.  That was helpful.

Gameplay:  The gameplay is solid.  Shooting the gun feels awesome and some guns are even fun to fire.  You almost feel like you are really shooting a gun.  When you shoot an enemy in the leg, they hobble, chest, they brace themselves back, the head, they die.  It's very believable.  Guerrilla made one hell of a believable game.  The only thing they forgot to put in was memorable characters and a decent story.  Like all the reviews are saying though, this is forgivable since everything else is so top notch.  Also, why is my guy so damn short.  When I see him in cutscenes, he's a big brute of a man like everyone else.  Yet, when I am standing next to people, I could headbutt their chest.  Not sure why that was done, but, like everything else, you get over it.

Audio: I know it's a warzone, but tone down the gratuitous cussing.  Wow, that's a lot of F-Bombs.

Multiplayer:  This is where Killzone is going to shine.  I put in about an hour and a half with the multiplayer and so far it's great.  Starting out, you can only pick one class and that's the basic grunt.  You get either the scoped rifle or the Hellghast rifle but as you accumulate experience, you unlock other classes with the medic being the first class.  The medic can revive downed teammates to being with.  But, as you play with the medic, eventually you will unlock another badge that lets you toss out ammo packs.  Same goes with all classes.  Their primary badge is given to you at the start, but you can unlock something else of theirs and become that much more powerful.  The engineer class looks like it might be my favorite as I love making turrets.  As for the matches themselves, you join a game and then play.  The match leader picks what games get played (deathmatch, search and destroy types, etc.) and you begin the first in the list.  When the match is over, you aren't taken back to a lobby, instead, you continue walking around for a couple seconds until the next match begins...with you in the same spot you ended up in with the previous game.  This is a brilliant method to multiplayer and I'm at a loss why this hasn't been done before (if it has, I didn't play that game).  Overall though, multiplayer is going to be very strong with this game and people will be playing this for years.  Easily.

If you own a PS3, get this game.  It doesn't matter if you are a 360 fanboy, wii fan (sorry for you... ;), or otherwise...this game is good.  I can't wait to see how Guerrilla plans to support the game over DLC.  So, go pick this one up, kill some Hellghast, and I'll see you in the Warzone!

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ttocs

I'm an avid FPS fan.  I think the only genre that matches my love of FPS is a good Western RPG (with the occasional JRPG thrown in).  So, it's easy to see why I picked up Killzone 2 on the first day it was available.  I was pretty excited about it, but didn't buy into the big hype train that has been rolling through internet land for some time now.  So, after playing the game for a good 6-7 hours, there are a couple things I love and a few things I'm not too thrilled about.  They are below.

Graphics: Wow.  Just, wow.  I knew the game was going to look good, but this game looks amazing.  It's not evident at first either.  When you see the characters talking, you think, "Yeah, they look good, but they aren't THAT good."  It's not until you get into a firefight in the middle of a refinery type place and see buildings soaring overhead with flags barely visibly blowing in the distance.  With bullets whizzing by, you notice the wall chip off where impact was made.  This game scores an A+ in ambiance visuals.  You can really get lost in this world.

Controls: I'm not too crazy about the controls.  They aren't bad, you can definitely make due with them, but they aren't that great.  I haven't put my finger on why either.  Some people are saying it has to do with the reaction time the game takes to notice you pushed the analog stick.  I don't know...but whatever it is, it needs to be looked into (which Guerrilla are currently doing).  Don't let this hamper your enjoyment of the game though.  You can definitely get through the game with the controls a little off.  If you are a CoD FPS player, or a Left 4 Dead shooter fan, the change may be rough, as it was with me.  Online is a little tough too.  Plus, you may need to change the default control scheme.  On default, L1 is melee and R3 is down the scope.  I changed this so that they switched and it was more like a COD type setup.  This is just personal preference though.  With this change though, the one thing that is lacking now is cover.  L2 is cover and L1 is scope now, so it makes for an awkward learning curve.  But, you get over it.  Also, there is a configuration to make it so you can either stay in down the scope mode until you hit a button, or until you release the button.  That was helpful.

Gameplay:  The gameplay is solid.  Shooting the gun feels awesome and some guns are even fun to fire.  You almost feel like you are really shooting a gun.  When you shoot an enemy in the leg, they hobble, chest, they brace themselves back, the head, they die.  It's very believable.  Guerrilla made one hell of a believable game.  The only thing they forgot to put in was memorable characters and a decent story.  Like all the reviews are saying though, this is forgivable since everything else is so top notch.  Also, why is my guy so damn short.  When I see him in cutscenes, he's a big brute of a man like everyone else.  Yet, when I am standing next to people, I could headbutt their chest.  Not sure why that was done, but, like everything else, you get over it.

Audio: I know it's a warzone, but tone down the gratuitous cussing.  Wow, that's a lot of F-Bombs.

Multiplayer:  This is where Killzone is going to shine.  I put in about an hour and a half with the multiplayer and so far it's great.  Starting out, you can only pick one class and that's the basic grunt.  You get either the scoped rifle or the Hellghast rifle but as you accumulate experience, you unlock other classes with the medic being the first class.  The medic can revive downed teammates to being with.  But, as you play with the medic, eventually you will unlock another badge that lets you toss out ammo packs.  Same goes with all classes.  Their primary badge is given to you at the start, but you can unlock something else of theirs and become that much more powerful.  The engineer class looks like it might be my favorite as I love making turrets.  As for the matches themselves, you join a game and then play.  The match leader picks what games get played (deathmatch, search and destroy types, etc.) and you begin the first in the list.  When the match is over, you aren't taken back to a lobby, instead, you continue walking around for a couple seconds until the next match begins...with you in the same spot you ended up in with the previous game.  This is a brilliant method to multiplayer and I'm at a loss why this hasn't been done before (if it has, I didn't play that game).  Overall though, multiplayer is going to be very strong with this game and people will be playing this for years.  Easily.

If you own a PS3, get this game.  It doesn't matter if you are a 360 fanboy, wii fan (sorry for you... ;), or otherwise...this game is good.  I can't wait to see how Guerrilla plans to support the game over DLC.  So, go pick this one up, kill some Hellghast, and I'll see you in the Warzone!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

I disagree only with your controls opinion, once i got used to them i found them to be great. 

You've also mistaken "aim lag" like everyone else who complains. thats dumb. the only difference in the controls as far as the analog stick used for looking around in cod4 and killzone 2 goes, is that in cod4 the second you barely touch the analog stick you get a quick "twitch", unrealistically fast like you are controlling a robot, reaction, but in killzone 2 you are required to push the stick a llittle further before you see a reaction. it makes feel as if you are pulling a big gun around like you have to tug it a little bit. its just like when you push the jump button, you'll notice you dip down quickly before jumping up to simulate him bending his knees. You can immediately prove that it isn't lag because the second you stop holding down the look stick you stop moving. it doesn't need to be looked into at all.

Obviously this is your first impression therefore i don't expect you to be totally adapted to Killzone 2's controls. But after time, just like Jeff mentions in his review (along with just about every other review out there) its something that takes a bit getting used to but once you do its great. 
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kratos81

That's pretty much exactly my review of the game as well. All these people saying they dont have any issues with the controls, sure wont be complaining if Guerrilla patches the game. If the controls were better, the story and characters didnt suck and the last battle wasnt so annoying, I would rate this as one of my favorite Fps behind halflife 2 and halo CE.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MOLE

Aim lag does exist in this game, people who deny that just want to pretend its not their because its their only reason to plug in their PS3 again.

But about the game, campaign was generic like any war game these days.  It lacked any type of emotions and charactor development, I seriously didn't care when bad things happened to people (not going to name what or who)

Multiplayer is by far the best i've ever played in my entire life.  Its so well balanced, and its like a god damn real war going on.  Its a mixture of COD4 and Gears of War, (Gears because you need team work, rushing in alone probably won't work out).  Its very deep, so many things to unlock, that even when you hit General you'll still want to play to get all the unlockables.  To sum it up, the online puts every 360 game to shame, seriously, if you don't own K2 GO BUY IT NOW!!!!

Dion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dion

I want a PS3 just to buy this game... Right now buying a 360 feels like a mistake :D

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By thiago

All I have to say is: F**K, S**T,F**K,F**K,F**K,S**T, give me a f***ing break! And so on.

The game is absolutely beautiful! The fights are the best. Why is this the best FPS ever made? Because it makes you feel you are in a war. The only game that does something similar is Call of Duty, but Killzone is 10 times better than that.

The fire fights are absolutely insane. Even those who aren't FPS fans (such as myself) will want to play this game.

The only thing I don't like is the usual FPS BS. I mean, you are playing the game strictly from the point of view of a soldier, and it means you know shit. They don't tell you anything. You don't know why you are fighting, why the enemies are bad, you only follow orders and that's it. Besides Killzone amplifies that because the game doesn't let you breath. You are constantly seeking cover and shooting someone. That's a bit stressful. I kind of miss MGS4 installation screens with "It is too late, take a rest..." messages. At least I had some time to cool down. Killzone is 200 miles per hour from beginning to end, you don't have time to think too much.

EDIT: you control a Mech. A f***ing Mech! That was awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.