Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

So, Kinect. Yeah, not so much anymore.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Edited By sarahsdad

Back in June I wrote the longest blog post I've done in months, if not ever. It was about how Kinect was made for someone like me, and my family. 
    I don't disagree with that blog, I still think Kinect is made for a family like mine where there is no Wii in the house. 
    What I started to think about the last few weeks is whether Kinect is made for my house, and my budget. 
    I don't remember the exact date, but when I saw the Kinect promo box in the gamestop a little while back, it had recommended distances for one or two players. It was 6 and 8 feet respectively. 
    So I went home and measured between the front of the TV stand and the couch; 6'2". Hmm. Enough room for me then, but nobody else. . . . if I moved the table out of the way. A little bit of shoving and pushing, and the distance is up to 7'. Better, but still not enough for two. It wouldn't be much of an issue, except that part of the reason I want this is for two player stuff with my daughter. Hmm. Maybe a slightly raised stand behind what we currently have? I did some measuring, and for a week or two, the plan was to add a small extra level stand, above and slightly behind the current one. this would work fine, there's a good 8" or so between the back of the stand and the wall; the 360 power brick, and some mess of cabling live back there, making it nigh impossible to push the whole mess straight back to the wall. 
    "What about mounting the TV to the wall?" I can hear at least one person asking. Aside from the parts we've knocked down and replaced, all the walls in our house are plaster and lathe, which is more than a bit of a pain in the ass to try to hang anything other than a small picture on; plaster is wicked crumbly, lathe is only strong enough really to hold the plaster that's been slathed on to it, and the wall studs are pretty much covered in the nails used to hold the lathes in place. 
    Then I saw a video showing a Kinect on top of a TV. Well, well. The measuring tape came out, and sure enough, that would add enough depth. Sweet. I might still build the extra stand, that would be plenty of room. 
    Then I started to think more about what would be required. Every time I wanted to use the Kinect would require moving the table from in front of the couch. It's not a big table, and I can move it easily, but the more I started to think about it, the less I wanted to be moving things back and forth as often as I was hoping that the Kinect would be used. 
    And, maybe the last straw(s), were a couple of games coming out; the new Assassin's Creed, and the next Fable. I essentially finished Fable II before linking myself up to GB, but I know I played the hell out of that game, and Assassin's creed II is in the top five for games I've spent the most time with. For as much as I'm really looking forward to the MP in AC:Brotherhood, it was reading about the single player in GameInformer yesterday that really cemented it for me. 
    I could spend 150 on an untried, and only lightly tested peripheral and a game that I might, in all likelyhood end up playing alone. 
    Or. 
    I could get two sequels to games I already really liked, and had collectively spent months on. 
    So. The pre-order for Kinect got switched to AC:Brotherhood, and sometime next week, after payday, I'll be driving over to get a fresh new copy of Fable III. 

I'm still looking forward to getting a Kinect at some point, but I think it'll wait until the early adopter tax has come off, and the 2nd round of games arrives.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sarahsdad

Back in June I wrote the longest blog post I've done in months, if not ever. It was about how Kinect was made for someone like me, and my family. 
    I don't disagree with that blog, I still think Kinect is made for a family like mine where there is no Wii in the house. 
    What I started to think about the last few weeks is whether Kinect is made for my house, and my budget. 
    I don't remember the exact date, but when I saw the Kinect promo box in the gamestop a little while back, it had recommended distances for one or two players. It was 6 and 8 feet respectively. 
    So I went home and measured between the front of the TV stand and the couch; 6'2". Hmm. Enough room for me then, but nobody else. . . . if I moved the table out of the way. A little bit of shoving and pushing, and the distance is up to 7'. Better, but still not enough for two. It wouldn't be much of an issue, except that part of the reason I want this is for two player stuff with my daughter. Hmm. Maybe a slightly raised stand behind what we currently have? I did some measuring, and for a week or two, the plan was to add a small extra level stand, above and slightly behind the current one. this would work fine, there's a good 8" or so between the back of the stand and the wall; the 360 power brick, and some mess of cabling live back there, making it nigh impossible to push the whole mess straight back to the wall. 
    "What about mounting the TV to the wall?" I can hear at least one person asking. Aside from the parts we've knocked down and replaced, all the walls in our house are plaster and lathe, which is more than a bit of a pain in the ass to try to hang anything other than a small picture on; plaster is wicked crumbly, lathe is only strong enough really to hold the plaster that's been slathed on to it, and the wall studs are pretty much covered in the nails used to hold the lathes in place. 
    Then I saw a video showing a Kinect on top of a TV. Well, well. The measuring tape came out, and sure enough, that would add enough depth. Sweet. I might still build the extra stand, that would be plenty of room. 
    Then I started to think more about what would be required. Every time I wanted to use the Kinect would require moving the table from in front of the couch. It's not a big table, and I can move it easily, but the more I started to think about it, the less I wanted to be moving things back and forth as often as I was hoping that the Kinect would be used. 
    And, maybe the last straw(s), were a couple of games coming out; the new Assassin's Creed, and the next Fable. I essentially finished Fable II before linking myself up to GB, but I know I played the hell out of that game, and Assassin's creed II is in the top five for games I've spent the most time with. For as much as I'm really looking forward to the MP in AC:Brotherhood, it was reading about the single player in GameInformer yesterday that really cemented it for me. 
    I could spend 150 on an untried, and only lightly tested peripheral and a game that I might, in all likelyhood end up playing alone. 
    Or. 
    I could get two sequels to games I already really liked, and had collectively spent months on. 
    So. The pre-order for Kinect got switched to AC:Brotherhood, and sometime next week, after payday, I'll be driving over to get a fresh new copy of Fable III. 

I'm still looking forward to getting a Kinect at some point, but I think it'll wait until the early adopter tax has come off, and the 2nd round of games arrives.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BionicMonster

I think the distance issue will really hurt Kinect's sales. People will still buy it but most will return it shortly after. People aren't used to measuring their house for a non-appliance.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sarahsdad
    @BionicMonster: At least in the medium-term, I think you're right. Right now it's really reminding me of a movie getting some hype, but not much critical exposure before launch. Usually that's done when the movie co. is nervous that having a lot of critics get a hold of it will mean lots of bad reviews scaring people away from buying a ticket. 
    I left it out of the blog, which I shouldn't have, but I know I made a similar post a while back in the forums. That was probably the first real splinter of doubt I had, when I realized how similar the situation was between Kinect and a potentially bad movie.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

Just buy a damn Wii if you want motion controls.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sarahsdad
    @ninjakiller: 'cause I don't want to spend 250 for a second console and controller, and etc. At this point it's probably more like 75 unless something really interesting comes out for it.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Raymayne

For the love of God... 

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I have just under 5 feet from my 360 and my wall. I can move stuff up more to get 8 feet though. But I'm not getting Kinect now.   

I love Rock Band also, but I'm not buying their $900 instruments (900 NZ). It's sad because I have invested so much money into DLC, and now I will really just be playing Rock Band 2, but it'll say 3. 

I'll spend money else where.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mrfizzy
    @sarahsdad: just wait for the reviews to come out. those distances are only recommended, its not saying if you have a single inch less than this the whole thing wont work. you may not have to move anything at all. and i agree that you can probs get your two wanted games and just wait to see how Kinect goes.  
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sarahsdad
    @ShaunassNZ said:
    " I have just under 5 feet from my 360 and my wall. I can move stuff up more to get 8 feet though. But I'm not getting Kinect now.   I love Rock Band also, but I'm not buying their $900 instruments (900 NZ). It's sad because I have invested so much money into DLC, and now I will really just be playing Rock Band 2, but it'll say 3.  I'll spend money else where. "
    This also. My copy of RB2 didn't cost that much, but the drum kit is up in my office gathering dust, and the guitar controller gets moved a little bit further away from the tv every few weeks. Of course, having said that, maybe I should check the batteries on that, and run through a few songs again :)
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sarahsdad
    @Raymayne said:
    " For the love of God... 
     <Clipped Reagan Speech>"  
    Yeah, I know my blog will have about as much effect on the course of history as a single Presidential speech telling the communists what I think they were already figuring out on their own.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By RobotHamster

I'd say get the games, kinect will ultimately be used only for dancing/party games and dashboard navigation.  And if you're the only one who'll use it then it's a waste of money. 

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sarahsdad
    @mrfizzy: 'zactly. As far as Kinect's concerned, there really aren't too many things I'd rather see than a video on GB, or Tested (or something cross-pollinated) showing it working with the guys doing two player games from about 5 - 6 feet away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.