Would you buy a Kinect for 1 or 2 games?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

The Gunslinger is there just watching me and yelling "buy me, BUY ME" and I'm like "NOOOOOOOOOOO" What would YOU do?

#3 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

I already did; for Dance Central.

#4 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

I am so, so, so, so, so tempted by the gunstringer but i know the second I buy Kinect i'm going to hate myself forever. I don't think one game is enough despite being Twisted Pixel and looking awesome. Wait until theres at least 5 or 6 games.
#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@rebgav

I bought one for no games, just to check it out. Considering the library of games so far it's probably good to go in with no expectations. My bad advice to you is yes, buy one.

If you do buy one, you pretty much have to buy Dance Central. Really. It's still the only game which actually works (though I haven't tried Gunstringer.)

So:

Dance Central
Gunstringer

..... Anything else? How is Child of Eden?
#6 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I'd buy it for Diabolical Pitch, but that's just it. And my 360 doesn't even work.

#7 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

I'm considering it with The Gunstringer (and Fruit Ninja Kinect, since it comes with it), and both (?) Dance Central games. Probably Child of Eden too, but Gunstringer and Dance Central are the two major ones.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@SMTDante89 said:

I'm considering it with The Gunstringer (and Fruit Ninja Kinect, since it comes with it), and both (?) Dance Central games. Probably Child of Eden too, but Gunstringer and Dance Central are the two major ones.

If I DO get one, is it worth getting both DC games?

#9 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

if i had the room and my 360 still worked i think i would of picked up kinect already. looks pretty fun.

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I've considered buying one for Dance Central. When Dance Central 2 comes out I'll probably cave.

#11 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Well, no.

#12 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@SMTDante89 said:

I'm considering it with The Gunstringer (and Fruit Ninja Kinect, since it comes with it), and both (?) Dance Central games. Probably Child of Eden too, but Gunstringer and Dance Central are the two major ones.

If I DO get one, is it worth getting both DC games?

I'm not entirely sure. Like I said, I'm still considering one myself. I'll just have to wait and see. But it's developed by Harmonix, the guys that work on the Rock Band franchise, which is one of my favorites. So I might be a bit biased myself. But just from word of mouth, the first Dance Central at least is required. With the improvements from Rock Band 1 to RB2, I'm sure there will be some excellent improvements from Dance Central 1 to 2, if there even needs to be any.

#13 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

nope. waste of money.

#14 Posted by EVO (3863 posts) -

Yep. I don't have one yet, but when I do it's only for Child of Eden, Fruit Ninja and The Gunstringer.

#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

Although I'm not a 360 owner I can relate this with Move. I would not have bought my Move set if there was only one or two games I was going to play, you need a little more than that to justify the purchase in my opinion.

#16 Edited by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Kinect is always useful just for the voice control; I find pressing buttons when watching Netflix to be archaic now and I get slightly annoyed that my other devices don't support voice. ;) The new dashboard should make voice control even more useful.

I think Child of Eden is great - try and find the Kinect bundle that comes with it. With Kinect when it clicks it makes me feel like some sort of wizard conductor.

Dance Central is great for what it is, but I'm not interested in dancing so it's just something I play with my wife now and then.

Most of us are over Wii Sports but if you want something like that (but far more immersive, active, and full of content) Kinect Sports is much better than you'd expect it to be.

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

No that's stupid.

#18 Posted by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

Maybe, I'm tempted to pick one up for Gunstringer and Child of Eden (already own Child of Eden, love it with a gamepad, but I'd also like to experience it with kinect controls). I'd be likely to find the interface stuff nice once the new dashboard hits, and that really ups the appeal. I'd probably have to pick up one of those Nyko lenses at the same time, though.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10463 posts) -

If it was mad cheap I might. $150 is way too much though. I think $50 is probably the most I could justify spending on one.

#20 Posted by CaptainObvious (2992 posts) -

I want The Gunstringer so bad.

#21 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Shuborno said:

Kinect is always useful just for the voice control; I find pressing buttons when watching Netflix to be archaic now and I get slightly annoyed that my other devices don't support voice. ;) The new dashboard should make voice control even more useful.

I think Child of Eden is great - try and find the Kinect bundle that comes with it. With Kinect when it clicks it makes me feel like some sort of wizard conductor.

Dance Central is great for what it is, but I'm not interested in dancing so it's just something I play with my wife now and then.

Most of us are over Wii Sports but if you want something like that (but far more immersive, active, and full of content) Kinect Sports is much better than you'd expect it to be.

I found a bundle that for the standard Australian price of $200 (I repeat, it's the standard price here and I know in the US it's like $150 so don't think I'm overpaying $50) you get -

UFC Trainer

Kinect Adventures

Child of Eden

Do you think I should look for one that maybe has different games?

#22 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

I found a bundle that for the standard Australian price of $200 (I repeat, it's the standard price here and I know in the US it's like $150 so don't think I'm overpaying $50) you get -

UFC Trainer

Kinect Adventures

Child of Eden

Do you think I should look for one that maybe has different games?

That sounds like a good bundle if $200 is the base price. I haven't heard anything good about the UFC game (Your Shape is actually good), but Adventures and Child of Eden is a good starting point.

Kinect Adventures isn't total garbage, but it's nothing you'll play in the long term. Just a decent tech demo.

Child of Eden is very short, FYI.

You will probably want to buy another game along with the bundle to get enough gameplay out of it.

#23 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

No. Never. Especially when the only game worth playing is a one joke wonder like The Gunstringer.

#24 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I pretty much bought it for Dance Central and Forza 4 headtracking, so yeah. It's no more expensive than say 3 games anyway, that's not too bad. I spent way more on my Wii Sports box.

Gunslinger should be a nice bonus though.

#25 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@CaptainObvious said:

I want The Gunstringer so bad.

Wait until all the clips are on youtube or elsewhere. Save yourself the money and the arm flailing.

#26 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I'm one of those stupid people who buys Wii Speaks and N64 Expansions thinking there will be a ton of games that use it and then it turns out there not and I'm stick with a Wii Vitality sensor.

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

No because it would be having to overpay for a shitty new xbox that supports it too. If I owned one of those I still wouldn't though.

#28 Posted by notdrew (86 posts) -

@ssj4raditz said:

I already did; for Dance Central.

ME TOO! But, eventually some of the other Kinect games went down in price and they were a pretty nice addition to drunken nights in my bedroom with friends/family.

#29 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Is dance central really that good?

#30 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Is dance central really that good?

No. Dance on your own and you've saved yourself a fistfull of dollars.

#31 Posted by Zacagawea (1580 posts) -

I already did

#32 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

People buy Nintendo consoles for one or two games so...

#33 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Good job Microsoft on making something that you need a room big enough to fit an elephant in to use!

Will be going to get my refund tommorow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.