Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

Are ds games actually any good or stick with movies?

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im thinking of getting Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 1.5 and Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5 but im not sure if i should get ds games with them because even fans of the series say they can be skipped i read re coded is really bad and other one is just decent. So im not sure are movies with the hd games on ps3 good enough?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge fan of the series and I think both of the DS games are pretty terrible. I would not recommend buying them.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You're good with sticking with the hd remakes and watching just the cutscenes for KH 358/2. I played part ways through the game on ds and thought the controls were kinda finicky. I couldn't imagine going back now and playing the game.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I didn't mind 352/2 days or whatever. It was just reallllyy drawn out, but it does help you understand everything. I's probably say movies should be okay, and if teres anything missing look it up... Cause let's be honest, whenver you're done with a LH game, you still have to look up a summary to wrap your head around everything. I hope KH3 simples things down a bit, but still makes for a good story.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: Ha. KH3 is going to be Metal Gear Solid 4 levels of clusterfuck nonsense at this point.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

Dream Drop Distance has a fun answer to traversal but its skill system is dumb. As it is vital to the story (it is the lead in to KH3) you should at least watch it if not play it.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bcooper21

Is Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance any good? I heard that one is actually one best games recently in series.

If so ill just get the 2 hd remasters on ps3 and the 3ds game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

@bcooper21: Birth by Sleep is way better than Dream Drop IMO, but I did like Dream Drop more than I thought I would. The whole fake Pokemon element wasn't very well implemented though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance any good? I heard that one is actually one best games recently in series.

If so ill just get the 2 hd remasters on ps3 and the 3ds game.

That is actually pretty good. I enjoyed it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BisonHero

@zeik said:

@hurricaneivan29: Ha. KH3 is going to be Metal Gear Solid 4 levels of clusterfuck nonsense at this point.

Yeah, the people I know that like KH all think this is pretty much inevitable. The only way they could have a simple story in KH3 is if they retcon away basically every story element that has been introduced post-KH1.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

@bisonhero: They've spent too much time building up all this insanity to do that. Even Dream Drop, which looks like just some filler sidestory at the start, adds like 10 more layers of insane plot points by the end.

The only chance of the series simplifying itself at this point is to wrap up all that nonsense in 3 and then start completely fresh with something after that. Also they'd probably have to hand the series over to someone that's not Nomura. He has just as little self-control as Kojima when you give him creative freedom.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

358/2 Days is way better as a movie than a game, even if it's still a pretty bad watch.

RE:Coded is a disgusting mess in any form.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Hunter5024

358/2 days is one of the only games I actively hate. You don't even really need to watch the movie because nothing important happens in that game that isn't already covered in 2. Unless they retroactively decided to make Xion important in the following games which I didn't play. Which actually wouldn't surprise me like at all.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: I feel like Days kind of helps compensate for 2's serious lack of Roxas character development and his time with the Organization and his relationship with Axel. It didn't really deserve a 20+ hour RPG, but as a movie it's worth watching once. (The way they explain nobody remembering Xion is pretty lame and half-assed though.)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Do you really want Roxas to be further developed though? He's literally just Sora but with less personality. That's so uninteresting. He's the worst part of the series.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hunter5024 said:

@zeik: Do you really want Roxas to be further developed though? He's literally just Sora but with less personality. That's so uninteresting. He's the worst part of the series.

Objection! The worst part of the series is Sora's outfit, at basically any given moment.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zeik

@hunter5024: Yes I do, because as a character he's actually barely anything like Sora. But more importantly, they tried to make a way bigger deal out of his character in KH2 without fleshing him out nearly enough to justify it. If he's going to be in the game regardless I'm more satisfied if he gets the development KH2 acted like he did and failed to deliver.

Also no, Roxas isn't even close to the worst thing about the series. Not by a longshot. (Xehanort and his billion different forms would rank much higher on that list, for example.)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

@zeik: Personally I'd rather just forget a bad character ever existed than try to fix the character and potentially fail (as I feel they did). Although granted, calling him the worst part of the series is a small exaggeration.

@bisonhero Buckles for days son.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know what the real worst part of KH is?

Visiting Agrabah for the 5th time.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie, so I'll revist Agrabah as many times as they want me to. Better than visiting Atlantica.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

RE:Coded is just 1 but sooo sooo much worse 358 days is hilariously bad like everything that happens doesnt affect the story as everyone gets amnesia and forgets everthing that just happened. Fuck that garbage.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Threads like this make me question why so many people like this series: skipping 3-4 games shouldn't be justifiable in a series that only has 6! I sometimes wonder if people look back on the first 2 with a little too much omg these were great reverence

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ottoman673: The topic is only suggesting skipping 2. Also, what's so contradictory about a series having good and bad games and fans liking the good and not the bad? How many series can you name with 6+ games that are all great?

Besides, 1.5 and 2.5 were released very recently, (I'm literally playing 2.5 right now), if fans still love it after replaying those games that recently it can't really be an issue of nostalgic rose-tinted glasses.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@ottoman673: Star Wars - 3/6; LotR - 2.5/6 AC - 3/11?

Anyways, the problem with the spinoff games is that they're spinoffs. They only serve to muddy the plot without making any actual progress and are largely saddled with half-baked systems because, well, they're spinoffs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.