Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings Online

Franchise »

A MMORPG set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth. The Lord of the Rings Online became free to play starting September 10th, 2010 and later that year in Europe.

Getting Back Into It

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ElegantRuby

After a year or so of not touching it at all, I have decided that I am going to get back into Lord of the Rings Online this evening.  I remember it being a blast back in the day, but I just sort of stopped playing for no real reason at all.  The story telling in it is to die for.  I would even go as far as to say that it has the best story telling in any MMO ever made.  I remember playing as an elf back then.  An Elvish Lore-master if I recall correctly.  Lore-masters are an odd mix between a mage and a hunter in typical MMO lingo.  Mage in that they can deal massive amounts of damage, and hunter due to pets. 

I am planning on starting over fresh from the very beginning of the epic tale as a wee Hobbit.  A Hobbit Minstrel I think.  Why?  Hobbit's are short, and I am short.  Minstrels are healers, and are amazing at going solo because they have some awesome attack abilities.  The only thing that I would need to know is if any Giant Bombers are still playing LOTRO and what servers they are on so that I can pick where I would like to play.   

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ElegantRuby

After a year or so of not touching it at all, I have decided that I am going to get back into Lord of the Rings Online this evening.  I remember it being a blast back in the day, but I just sort of stopped playing for no real reason at all.  The story telling in it is to die for.  I would even go as far as to say that it has the best story telling in any MMO ever made.  I remember playing as an elf back then.  An Elvish Lore-master if I recall correctly.  Lore-masters are an odd mix between a mage and a hunter in typical MMO lingo.  Mage in that they can deal massive amounts of damage, and hunter due to pets. 

I am planning on starting over fresh from the very beginning of the epic tale as a wee Hobbit.  A Hobbit Minstrel I think.  Why?  Hobbit's are short, and I am short.  Minstrels are healers, and are amazing at going solo because they have some awesome attack abilities.  The only thing that I would need to know is if any Giant Bombers are still playing LOTRO and what servers they are on so that I can pick where I would like to play.   

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Never played it, never will, but still...have fun =P.

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ElegantRuby
    @Abyssfull: Well...You should...
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Arbie

I think come fall there might be a fair few more GB people playing Lotro with it going F2P. I know it was mentioned a fair bit when we were discussing which MMO to play. Why don't you give Runes of Magic a shot? It might not be as great as lotro but roughly 20 odd GiantBombers just started up on it. 

Also, the class you used to play gave me bad memories of warlocks on wow!

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash

LOTRO is unquestionably the king of narrative in an MMO, and the PvE is divine.

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ElegantRuby
    @Erzs: I can safely say that I have never played WoW nor will I ever play WoW.  I might check out this Runes of Magic game.  What server and all of that good information are we on?
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arbie
    ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ElegantRuby
    @Erzs: Gracias.  I might check it out, but I do feel an obligation to LOTR online as I bought a lifetime subscription a long time ago...
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @ElegantRuby:  
    Not like I wouldn't want to tag along on your LOTR themed journeys =P. Just I doubt my computer would agree so much...it could barely run WoW and that's without all of its major updates and expansions.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arbie
    @ElegantRuby: That's understandable. I mean like I said I think a few people will start playing LOTRO come fall anyway. Have a good time if you play it tonight! =]
    ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ElegantRuby
    @Abyssfull: Two words for you.  Up. Grade.  ; ) 

@Erzs: Are you in on the whole Runes of Magic thing? 
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arbie
    @ElegantRuby: Yeah I'm playing it as well. Should be on a bit later tonight. =]
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

I will be trying it out for sure when it goes free to play. When is that happening again? I can't remember. But I want in when it is.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Icil
    @Scooper said:
    " I will be trying it out for sure when it goes free to play. When is that happening again? I can't remember. But I want in when it is. "
    True dat. Things that start paid and go free are always a treat.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper
    @Icil said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " I will be trying it out for sure when it goes free to play. When is that happening again? I can't remember. But I want in when it is. "
    True dat. Things that start paid and go free are always a treat. "
    But always kinda sad that they aren't getting the sort of revenue they went and are forced to go FTP to get more players. Didn't Warhammer go FTP to level 10 really quickly?

Still, I was interested in LOTRO when it first came out but it never had a week trial or whatever to get me hooked. I would of never of played WoW if it didn't have that 2-week trial and I ended up buying the game, The Burning Crusade and about 6 months subscription. Maybe I'll get hooked on LOTRO.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ElegantRuby said:
    " @Abyssfull: Well...You should... "
    They are offering 10 days free. I might try some tonight. Maybe we can team up. 
    ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ElegantRuby
    @The_Laughing_Man: Sure.  Let me know what server you join.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I got the client down. Most likely I will be an elf hunter. Or a human Bugler. What do you think? I like high DPS classes. 

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By mubblegum

I was very close to getting a lifetime sub for this. However now it's going to become free to play, I'm waiting until that - then just pay for extra things here and there.
    I'm quite excited for it, I have played the trail and loved the atmosphere and world. Even though I do prefer WoW, there's something about the LOTR environment. I hope the free to play brings more players to the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.