MAG Gets Move Support And Several New Features Soon

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's stunning that Zipper Interactive finds the time to support MAG while it develops a full SOCOM retail release. But it does, and surprisingly, it looks like the biggest patch to date for MAG is coming down the pipe. Next month the studio is poised to deliver "MAG 2.0" to its fans, a meaty patch that will add PlayStation Move support, bump the level cap up to 70, and revamp the game's skill tree to allow "the deepest character customization and specialization ever found in a first-person shooter," according to the game's official blog.

MAG 2.0 will also usher in a fresh in-game economy that will allow digital soldiers to purchase weapons and items from a new "Supply Depot" after earning credits in battle. And if that wasn't enough, users will see multitudes of core game refinements and bug fixes in the forthcoming patch, as well as a new "Clan Deploy" option that will allow clan leaders and officers to queue 128 of their clan members into a game. 

Zipper isn't willing to pin down a release date just yet, but it is saying that the patch is coming in "less than a month." There's also a slim chance that this patch could be dropped onto new MAG discs. As Joystiq reported previously, MAG 2--not 2.0--is being listed at Walmart. And while the name of the game listed is ultimately wrong, the similarities between this recent listing and this patch's announcement (and branding) seem like too much of a coincidence to not be tied together in some meaningful way. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's stunning that Zipper Interactive finds the time to support MAG while it develops a full SOCOM retail release. But it does, and surprisingly, it looks like the biggest patch to date for MAG is coming down the pipe. Next month the studio is poised to deliver "MAG 2.0" to its fans, a meaty patch that will add PlayStation Move support, bump the level cap up to 70, and revamp the game's skill tree to allow "the deepest character customization and specialization ever found in a first-person shooter," according to the game's official blog.

MAG 2.0 will also usher in a fresh in-game economy that will allow digital soldiers to purchase weapons and items from a new "Supply Depot" after earning credits in battle. And if that wasn't enough, users will see multitudes of core game refinements and bug fixes in the forthcoming patch, as well as a new "Clan Deploy" option that will allow clan leaders and officers to queue 128 of their clan members into a game. 

Zipper isn't willing to pin down a release date just yet, but it is saying that the patch is coming in "less than a month." There's also a slim chance that this patch could be dropped onto new MAG discs. As Joystiq reported previously, MAG 2--not 2.0--is being listed at Walmart. And while the name of the game listed is ultimately wrong, the similarities between this recent listing and this patch's announcement (and branding) seem like too much of a coincidence to not be tied together in some meaningful way. 
#2 Posted by Simmse (135 posts) -

Maybe they can make the game good while they are adding those features.

#3 Posted by DoomHK (40 posts) -

Good to hear. I stopped playing MAG a while ago, but maybe I should start playing again.

#4 Posted by Drazat (167 posts) -

Good on them for supporting the game long after it has launched.

#5 Posted by Depressing_Wizard (186 posts) -

This is seems like a very impressive update, even if I have never played the game before.

#6 Posted by bhhawks78 (1201 posts) -

Will never understand the appeal of move/wiimote use in an fps but the other stuff looks good for whoever still plays.

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

I might actually pick it up now :P

#8 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

Will it be adding the part where, the game isnt bad?

Ah whatever, the curreny system sounds miles better than the slooow ass unlocks. The player count has dwindled badly and i feel too partly responsible.

#9 Posted by bhhawks78 (1201 posts) -
@Death_Burnout said:
" Will it be adding the part where, the game isnt bad?  Ah whatever, the curreny system sounds miles better than the slooow ass unlocks. The player count has dwindled badly and i feel too partly responsible. "
Is it really that bad?  Got it through gamefly played a couple hours got bored sent it back.  Doesn't seem to be much better or worse than the typical modern shooter clone.
#10 Posted by Davin (242 posts) -

I played MAG a bit, I liked it, not a bad game. I had my fun. Move support isn't something that is going to pull me back in. It seems to me to be a very poor way to control a twitch reflex type of game. Makes you an easy target, no?

#11 Posted by BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie (147 posts) -

Brad Nicholson sure does love the word "waggle".

#12 Posted by xObserveRx (4 posts) -

Has there already been patches with new maps, new game types and game types that do not take 55 minutes to finish? If not, they should've looked at those problems first...

#13 Posted by ManlyBeast (1134 posts) -

Did MAG do well?

#14 Posted by Triphos (79 posts) -

I had quite a bit of fun playing MAG with some internet friends, but I've totally fallen off since about a month after release. Maybe this'll bring me back.

#15 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Additional supply depots required.

#16 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

The Move support isn't really all that exciting, but interesting. Impressed that the game developer is still supporting the game, most developers wouldn't bother supporting their games a few months after launch.

#17 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@Simmse said:
" Maybe they can make the game good while they are adding those features. "
Don't forget about the fun.  Make sure they patch in the fun.  I never got any.
#18 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -
@Damien: lol
#19 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Damien said:
" @Simmse said:
" Maybe they can make the game good while they are adding those features. "
Don't forget about the fun.  Make sure they patch in the fun.  I never got any. "
sucks to be you then.  

I love MAG. its a lot of fun. 
#20 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@xObserveRx said:

" Has there already been patches with new maps, new game types and game types that do not take 55 minutes to finish? If not, they should've looked at those problems first... "

they did actually. they patched the game to make the downloads and updates faster.  
they did release their first DLC a few weeks ago too. four new maps and new gameplay modes and vehicles. for $10
#21 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@TwoOneFive: Sure.

Well then, I'm happy for you.  Personally, I don't enjoy being sniped out of the sky repeatedly while parachuting unless I purchase the 'move better while parachuting' upgrade.  Didn't do anything for me.
#22 Posted by DigitalNinja (4 posts) -

Move suport LOL. What a waste of development time.

#23 Posted by Kaigan (270 posts) -

Son, ya gotta feed yo MAG.

#24 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -
@DigitalNinja said:
" Move suport LOL. What a waste of development time. "
I know right? Why would I want precise aiming controls in a first-person shooter?
#25 Posted by Crono (2637 posts) -

lolumag?

#26 Posted by Gugi9000 (69 posts) -

makes me want to play some more Killzone 2.. I'm weird like that :-)

#27 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (265 posts) -
@xObserveRx: Domination is 30 minutes and thats the longest gametype.
#28 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (265 posts) -
@TwoOneFive: People who don't like MAG are usually people who can't get over that it plays nothing like CoD.
#29 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Kajaah117 said:
" @DigitalNinja said:
I know right? Why would I want precise aiming controls in a first-person shooter? "
yeah thats just SILLY! 

@Maniac said:
" @TwoOneFive: People who don't like MAG are usually people who can't get over that it plays nothing like CoD. "
i agree 100% 

MAG has no auto-aim. COD fans have no idea how to adjust. 
#30 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

i love the constant support  that zipper is doing to MAG, i may end buying socon 4 just for that (and to play it with my recently purchased ps move)

#31 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
" Will it be adding the part where, the game isnt bad?  Ah whatever, the curreny system sounds miles better than the slooow ass unlocks. The player count has dwindled badly and i feel too partly responsible. "
Is it really that bad?  Got it through gamefly played a couple hours got bored sent it back.  Doesn't seem to be much better or worse than the typical modern shooter clone. "
By virtue of you getting bored i would say yeah, but the problem i have, is it feels like, and often looks like...and sounds like, a high budget total conversion mod, harsh, but im being so so honest. Funny thing is...i had fun now and then, i think the game modes themselves are excellent, if they can make the game feel better i'll defo go back.
#32 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Massive Ass Gay.  I'm so smart. "
Yes sir, you are.
#33 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

This game was GREAT I'm re-buying it because of this.

I don't play any PS3 games online but I made an exception for MAG. That game rocked.

#34 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -
@Kajaah117 said:
" @DigitalNinja said:
I know right? Why would I want precise aiming controls in a first-person shooter? "
You are mistaking waggle sticks for a mouse.
#35 Posted by bhhawks78 (1201 posts) -
@Death_Burnout said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
Is it really that bad?  Got it through gamefly played a couple hours got bored sent it back.  Doesn't seem to be much better or worse than the typical modern shooter clone. "
By virtue of you getting bored i would say yeah, but the problem i have, is it feels like, and often looks like...and sounds like, a high budget total conversion mod, harsh, but im being so so honest. Funny thing is...i had fun now and then, i think the game modes themselves are excellent, if they can make the game feel better i'll defo go back. "
Eh a big difference between mediocre/generic and bad.
#36 Edited by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

Damn, if I hadn't such a short attention span with on-line games, I'd definitely check out MAG.

#37 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
By virtue of you getting bored i would say yeah, but the problem i have, is it feels like, and often looks like...and sounds like, a high budget total conversion mod, harsh, but im being so so honest. Funny thing is...i had fun now and then, i think the game modes themselves are excellent, if they can make the game feel better i'll defo go back. "
Eh a big difference between mediocre/generic and bad. "
I think just about everything about the game is good, except for the graphics being a little poor (although understandibly since they are getting 256 people in the map), and I find the shooting to feel bad. I wish they copied Modern Warfare's shooting, That would make the game so amazing.
#38 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" @Death_Burnout said:
Eh a big difference between mediocre/generic and bad. "
i guess it depends on how literal my shitty joke is, i would say its bad for me personally, but in reality, it is mediocre, thats the real bummer, it could have been so much more, and as i said, the modes are awesome, great premise.
#39 Posted by DaveMagic (68 posts) -

Didn't really get into it first time round. Maybe I'll give it another go.

#40 Posted by g1antb0mb3r (17 posts) -

People still play this game? Well @ least it lasted longer than ABP...

#41 Posted by ghostdog (17 posts) -

I probably spent 15-20 hours in MAG and tried to give it a chance but it always felt like it was missing the thing that makes a game fun. I could never put my finger on the specific problem...

#42 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
@Maniac said:
" @TwoOneFive: People who don't like MAG are usually people who can't get over that it plays nothing like CoD. "
or that the game completely sucked in retail release with the odd 4 months of beta time if not longer doing next to nothing in the deparment of fixing the games multitude of problems which took them months after release to actually fix just a few of those.
MAG lost me when I spent 4 months + in the beta and then when I picked the game up at launch every single bug report I had submitted wasn't even taken care of in the final product.
*as for that MAG should never have been a 60 dollar game in the first place*
#43 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @Maniac said:
or that the game completely sucked in retail release with the odd 4 months of beta time if not longer doing next to nothing in the deparment of fixing the games multitude of problems which took them months after release to actually fix just a few of those. MAG lost me when I spent 4 months + in the beta and then when I picked the game up at launch every single bug report I had submitted wasn't even taken care of in the final product. *as for that MAG should never have been a 60 dollar game in the first place* "
everyone on this site knows you as a total 360 fanboy or a total PS3 hater. 
#44 Posted by embryo69 (38 posts) -

I recently traded MAG in, but I have just picked up a move controller so I may pick it up again if I can find it cheap.

#45 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@TwoOneFive: i really like mag too. i have a good time every time i play. been playing it a little more recently too. this update sounds good for the dedicated community that it has
#46 Posted by cassus (333 posts) -

If Move support gets added to online shooters, Move will be a mandatory piece of hardware. From what I've seen of games using move as a "zapper" type device, it's just vastly superior to the clunky-ass-joypad controls for FPS games. So if you're too lazy to stand upright while playing, or you don't have the space to use a Move, guess you're fucked.

#47 Posted by Renocide (20 posts) -

Might give this a try when 2.0 hits. I stopped playing due to all the dill holes that were not going for the objectives and just being asshats.

#48 Posted by aliss (81 posts) -

i'm so over this game....mag 2.0 would have been nice 3 months ago, now it's played out.  

you go on there for 2 minutes and guys are trying to kick you out for who knows what reason, they don't tell you you just keep seeing the message popup, "2 out of 5 votes -- you have NOT been kicked from the squad" 

lame

#49 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I had a ton of fun with MAG, the only reason I quit was because Bad Company 2 came out. I'm hoping MAG 2.0 will bring me back in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.