Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Tennis Aces

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 22, 2018

The series' debut on the Switch heralds the return of "Story Mode" for the first time since Power Tour on the Game Boy Advance.

Mario Tennis Aces: Online Tournament Demo - Impressions

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else is enjoying the online tournament demo?

It's been kinda refreshing to play a Nintendo sports game that feels this good. I haven't enjoyed a title since Super Mario Strikers on the GameCube.

Only issue I am having is with disconnects, but I haven't isolated the issue to see if it's on my end or the games.

Anyways, what does everyone think about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Having lots of fun now that the mechanics have started to click. Not had any disconnects in the 12 games ive played.

At first i wasnt too impressed but remembered my router was shit and thats why i wired my pc to it, so i made my pc a hotspot and it felt soooooo much better. The gameplay online is super sensetive to latency. Niw i got a firm grasp on the court play ive been having some really fantastice matches with long rallies, blocks, counter blocks, knock outs etc etc.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Had fun with it last night and managed to get one tournament win and then got swiftly eliminated in the next game. I like the controls for the most part, but I'm not a fan of the 2 different methods to do trick shots. It can screw you up if you're trying to do lob or drop shot and all the sudden the trick shot gets you out of the way of the ball. Also that second match had some bad lag on my end where my button presses where delayed a second. The first match was much better as the lag was perfect and it was like me versus somebody else where both of us where messing around with the controls to get used to it. I enjoyed the little bit of time I had with the demo. Might go back to mess around with the other characters and even unlock some of the hidden ones.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love it. All of the mechanics are simple on their own but layer on top of each other to create a great game that can be simple to pick up and play, but have a high enough skill ceiling to make it feel worthwhile. It's also got that Nintendo charm, of course. The special ceremony for the Finals is fun but the toads can be a bit distracting during the match.

In my first two tourneys, I got to the Finals and Semi-finals and only had one laggy match. All others have felt great with one being ever so slightly laggy. I've been sure to reject opponents that have yellow or red connections (it doesn't lose your spot in the tournament). The inclusion of a "simple mode," is great for getting people together to play and experience the game.

It's definitely going to be a day one buy for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps

I love what theyve done to Waluigi in this gane

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TheChris

Met someone named Dan, playing as Waluigi. That you @danryckert?

Game is a lot of fun, a good tip to avoid lag in your game. Always check the latency bar before you accept the challenge given to you.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Has anyone else been having horrible lag issues? It makes the game feel like rock, paper, scissors.... I've tried hunting down players with good signals, but then it seems to drop out once the match starts.

That being said, the game is a lot of fun. Bowser is pretty great. Breaking a Waluigi's racket online for the KO was super satisfying.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nicksmi56

@sawtooth said:

Has anyone else been having horrible lag issues? It makes the game feel like rock, paper, scissors.... I've tried hunting down players with good signals, but then it seems to drop out once the match starts.

Ugh, it seems like every other match I play winds up with horrible input lag, and I know it's not on my end because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs as smooth as butter.

I feel bad for people when I annihilate them because their moves are clearly coming out 2 seconds after they're supposed to, and it's utterly infuriating when I'm the recipient. I had a whole match where it was so bad I couldn't return a single serve!!

The game itself is a lot of fun, even if some people absolutely destroy me online, but these connection issues could be an instant deal breaker.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Yeah I enjoyed playing the game against the practice cpu. The mechanics are really solid, and the different types of shots and how they interact gives it a bit of a fighting game feel. Really excited for local play and the single player in the final release. But once I tried to go online, it became a whole different story. The game suddenly felt like there was almost a full second between my inputs and the action happening on the screen. I've ran a few matches at different times of the day and have not had one good experience. The lag is especially problematic because it makes returning serves just a matter of jamming on the button and hoping I'm in the right position. I figure this is probably a stress test for developers to see how well the online code works, and so right now I hope that it improves in the final release. Because, for me at least, the online in its current state has been abysmal.

FYI: I am playing with the system docked and a wired connection to my router. I do not have this issue with Splatoon 2.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@oldjack327: Damn, I'm running wireless and have had only had one match with lag out of two full tourneys. I really hope Nintendo can iron it out because I want a robust online community for this game, I'm loving it so much.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dixavd

I haven't played online yet since I'm not used to the controls. I've never played a Mario Tennis game (or even a Tennis video game since I was a pre-teen!) so the ontrols don't feel very intuitive. It seems like it could be fun but I'm truly atrocious at it and keep getting beaten by the COMs. My biggest issue seems to be that I always double tap buttons (something about the wind-up time on the animations doesn't register to me fast enough) so I keep accidentally doing that risky jump move when I don't mean to.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@flashflood_29: I actually just booted it up and finally got a few really good matches that were basically lag free. When it works for me, the game is great. I'm sure part of the lag is on my end, maybe the time of day for my last few games meant that the connection just wasn't strong enough.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've liked other tennis games like Top Spin and Virtua Tennis but something about this game isnt clicking with me. Not sure what it is.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Like others, any time a game begins to lag its completely unplayable, and being picky with who you play against doesn't seem to make it much better.

That said, playing today it seems like people have sniffed out the easy ways to win much more effectively than when I played on Friday. Seeing a lot of people always using zone shots on serve (which works really well against me playing Power characters because blocking is a pain and if I hit three blocks in a row too early it's a racket break... The lag doesn't help with this one either). I think the fact you can do three or more zone shots in a row from serve is a little exploitable, I think they should definitely use more energy.

The other cheap strategy that's hard to deal with is players than only use drop shots and lobs. They just repeatedly drop shot till you're near the net then go for a lob. Again I think the connection issues exacerbate this because this strategy only bothers me when my back trick shots keep whiffing or not coming out due to what feels like dropped input.

I think I'll keep my preorder but it's not exactly got me chomping at the bit to have to pay for this kind of online service...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to fix the pre game lag indicator because it's NEVER right

I'll match with an opponent with 5 Bars in the menu but in game it's one bar and unplayable. Also, I've got a suspicion that people are starting to exploit the lag as every day it went on it got more and more common to match with players with poor connections, especially after the 1st round, it's not a problem on my end as every other game on Switch works FINE. They need to drop this p2p bullshit out.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dug it but have to echo what others are saying about the lag. Any sort of lag whatsoever makes the game more or less unplayable. This probably won't matter so much on release though as I'm more in it for local stuff. I've been chasing the dragon of a fun local multiplayer switch game since Mario Kart 8 last year and I'm hoping Tennis holds me over until Smash Brothers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.