Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario

Franchise »

Mario, Nintendo's mascot, has been around for over 30 years and still stars in many games, saving Princess Peach from Bowser's numerous plots. Mario is the best selling video game franchise of all time, with an estimated 200 million Mario games sold world-wide.

DMX Goomba's Revenge: Replaying the Mario Series

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By j_unit2008

With the recent release of Super Mario Maker as well as the events of The Ryckoning, my interest in the Super Mario franchise has reached a high that it hasn't been at for several years. Now unfortunately, I don't have a Wii U and am not in a position to get one for quite some time so I'll be unable to enjoy it for the time being . What I do have is an old SNES with Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, and Super Mario World 2.

I haven't played through any of these in at least 15 years so I'm hoping that this will be a fresh experience for me. I'll be posting bits of my experience after I finish each one. My initial expectations for replaying is that I'm going to have a lot of trouble (especially with the first game) since current platformers are relatively forgiving when it comes to failure (and I'm just not that great at them). That being said I can't wait to dig into these classics.

"IT'S NOT A FUCKIN' GAME!!!"

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think SMB1 should be that bad; you might be surprised at how quickly it comes back to you. Lost Levels might be a different story, but at least that lets you save after every level. Super Mario All-Stars really is such a great collection.

thescottlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have a insane ear worm going on these days with the theme in SMB2 that plays when you encounter Birdo. That's as intense as game music gets!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been working through 3 and World over the past few months when I have an hour to kill. Turns out they're still great!

The first actually gave me some trouble last year, and I my brother took our NES from 25 years ago so I don't have Mario 2 anywhere (but played it by him last year and it's still a good time)

It's a cool series.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudymusic: The Lost Levels will be super interesting since I never did touch those. Saving after each level sounds great though.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By j_unit2008

@csl316: That's the beautiful thing about a lot of classic side scrollers is that they usually hold up really well (unlike old 3D games).

That's too bad that you can't find SMB2. I think that's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own a Wii U either and was thinking about taking out my Wii (it's a lot easier than digging out my NES) and play Mario 1-3. I've never finished The Lost Levels so I may give that another shot too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.