Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Beginning with the events of Marvel's Secret War and going into Civil War, players will take control of several Marvel characters in this follow up to the first Ultimate Alliance game.

Recommended for Someone Who Didn't Play MUA 1?

JoeOE18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoeOE18

I must say I'm pretty interested in picking up MUA 2, but I'm teetering on the brink and can't make up my mind. I've read a fair few reviews but they all seem to be written by people who've played MUA 1 and often concentrate on how it's very similar to the first or such and such a mechanic that they enjoyed is missing now. So I wanted to ask: As a MUA newbie, should I pick up this new version or just get the slightly cheaper MUA 1?

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By snide
    @JoeOE18: Ryan's working on a review so you might want to wait for his take.
    obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By obscurefan

Welp, I'd say if you're a fan of Marvel Comics, and I mean a big fan, then get it. It's so steeped in Marvel comics lure that no matter what games you like to play, if you read comics then you'll probably love this. As for which of the two games to get, they both play almost exactly the same, except for a few changes and MUA2 has far better graphics. So I'll throw this out there to try and help you, in MUA1 you mostly fought a wide variety of villains, while in MUA2 you fight a wide variety of other heroes. So if one of those two options sounds particularly appealing to you I'd say go with that. Also, MUA2 let's you choose a side to follow in the storyline pretty early on, and while the levels are still similar after that, the story does get different. So essentially you can play MUA2 twice and still have a different gaming experience. 
    So if you're just interested in the game mechanics, I'd say save the cash and go with MUA1, but if you're more interested in the story or graphics I'd say spend the extra cash on 2.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

i need to know if I should add this to my Christmas list or not.

JoeOE18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoeOE18

Thanks everyone (Hi Dave!). If I can hold out until Ryan's review then I will, but I fear I might cave in before then. Any more advice would be very welcome :) 

P.S. I like that obscurefan started his post with the word 'Welp'. It made me feel as if I was being given a lecture from a super-villain. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

Well, I played the first MUA without every playing any of the X-Men Legends games (MUA is a sequel of sorts to those games) and I loved it, UA 2 seems like is going to have much more stuff to do and is going to be freakin incredible so I would go for it if I was you.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Jedted
    @Black_Rose said:
    "Well, I played the first MUA without every playing any of the X-Men Legends games (MUA is a sequel of sorts to those games) and I loved it, UA 2 seems like is going to have much more stuff to do and is going to be freakin incredible so I would go for it if I was you. "

This is the same with me, I checked out XML2 after playing the first MUA and the differances between those games is basically the story.  MUA2 adds the AMAZING Fusion attacks aswell as a few other cool features.  I say go for it if you really enjoy cheesy over the top comic book stories. 

I beat the game as an Anti-Reg team and immediatly started a new game to go through as Pro-Reg and i'm still having a blast playing co-op with friend on XBL. 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

If you like beat 'em ups with elements of RPGs and/or are a fan of Marvel Comics, then I would recommend getting it.  It's a very fun game with some good fan service. 
    The only real problem I have with the game (besides some annoying bugs/gameplay problems carried over from the first game) is that it really shouldn't be called Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.  The reason I say this is that not only does the game not pick up on the cliffhanger that the first one ended on, but it focuses nearly exclusively on events leading up to and in the aftermath of the Marvel Civil War.  This also affects a lot of roster choices, making a more concentrated group of characters rather than the scattershot group from the first. 
    Where the first strived to get many representatives from throughout Marvel's gallery of solo heroes (i.e. Moon Knight, Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider, etc.), this one has 5 characters from the X-Men alone as well as 4 from the Civil War-centric Thunderbolts team, not to mention the members of the Fantastic Four.  This means that of the games potential 24 characters, 13 are team-based characters and the other 11 coming from characters mostly directly involved with the Civil War. 
    If you can accept this is a game based around Civil War and not the Marvel Universe in its entire width and breadth, then you'll be sure to like it as I have found myself liking it. 
    Ok, I'm done geeking out.
    subtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By subtek
    @JoeOE18: MUA1 is a great game.  MUA2 is pretty good but I'm not enjoying it as much as the first one.   I say play MUA1 now.  By the time you are done, MUA2 will probably have a price drop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.