Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

So this might be my first fighting game

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JDDrewes

I've never really played a fighting game before. i played a decent amount of SSB but i know that that doesn't count. I've never owned a fighting game and my parents never gave me quarters to go to arcades when i was a kid >:P 
    this game is looking really good and i was thinking about picking it up. I've kinda considered fighting games to be in the same category as RTS; games that you really have to spend a lot of time practicing and understanding the theory before you can really get into it. Unlike games like FPS or driving where anyone can kinda pick it up and kinda have fun. which i think both can be awesome in their own ways
    so anyways, i was wondering if you guys think that this would be a good first fighting game. i know that SF4 is also amazing, but this looks like it has a lot more personality i guess. idk.  
    thoughts?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

Just get Super Street Fighter 4.  It's budget priced, extremely well balanced even for a fighting game, and the most fully featured fighting game ever.  I mean come on, man.

matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By matrix_hiei

yes, this would be a great first fighting game. hell, i really got into the genre with marvel vs. capcom 2. thing is, even if you just play it casually games like this can be really fun. it's so fast paced and visceral that anyone can pick it up and have fun with, even if you may not know what's going on until you really sit down and learn the combos and strategy.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Probably a great fighting game...

But definitely not a beginner friendly game, if I learned anything from MvC2. 

Hell, MvC2 is the only fighting game that I'll admit I don't know what I'm doing. Air combos just seem crazy.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Alex_Murphy

No offense, but I think you'll get shreadded, the people who play that game are nuts with the crazy combos and linked specials. I haven't been able to kick ass at a VS game since X-Men Vs Street Fighter. I'm not saying not to get it, but you may want to get some 2D under your belt first with some Street Fighter.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Pick Ammy 
    Mash buttons 
    Dominate
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

This is probably one of the worst choices for your first fighting game. It'll be great, but it'll be completely overwhelming for you. Start with a simple game like Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat and work your way up to more complex games like KOF and SSFIV. Eventually you'll be decent enough for MVC3s absurd speed.

First fighting game... you haven't lived.    

Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Blueprint12
    @MysteriousBob said:
    "  This is probably one of the worst choices for your first fighting game. It'll be great, but it'll be completely overwhelming for you. Start with a simple game like Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat and work your way up to more complex games like KOF and SSFIV. Eventually you'll be decent enough for MVC3s absurd speed. First fighting game... you haven't lived.     "
    This ^ 

I THINK the new BlazBlue game might be ok too.  It's a complex fighting system but now they have a tutorial to help you play the game so it should help on trying to play the game.  Also the story mode keeps it from being repetitive as just another fighting game with arcade mode in it.  SFIV has a story too but it's not as in depth as BlazBlue is. 

But I'm not sure if BlazBlue will work though.  I just thought of it because now it has the tutorial mode.  But yeah, SFII and Mortal Kombat would be great for your first fighting game.  MK was my first one so yeah.
    Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moody_yeti

tbh just get either SSFIV or either MvC2 if you gonna get the 3rd one,eithere are fine choices ^^

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

Dude, don't be afraid to buy this as your first serious fighting game.  I remember when I first started playing MvC2 I went to the arcade and played with a friend of mine from school.  I got stomped.  It was gruesome.  But I didn't let it keep me down.  I figured out what characters I liked best, what their tricks were, and focused on learning how to do them.  It's the same as any game - if you can endure the initial ass-whupping, it can make you stronger.  ;)

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dan_CiTi

MvC2 is an extremely hardcore fighter. I'd recommend starting out with Super SF4 and Super SF2 Turbo. If you have a 360 I suggest Garou: Mark of the Wolves as well. If you want something like MvC3 I suggest getting an emulator like MAME or kawaks and running MvC1. The new BlazBlue is good too, it's a lot better than the first and is pretty fast & fun. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @JDDrewes: As far as a modern fighting game, I'd strongly suggest SSFIV.  It's the most popular fighter out there currently which means you'll have no problem finding the answer to any questions you might have.  Also the game has a very straightforward fighting system.  Learning the basics of a single character means you've learned the basics of 50% of the cast or more.

BlazBlue, while excellent, is far less friendly to beginners.  Not only does it have many more layers of complexity beyond SSFIV, each character has their own specific mechanics which leaves very little carry-over from character to character.

If you're an extremely fast learner then you might be able to just jump straight in with MvC3 but if you don't want to be overwhelmed I'd say start with SSFIV then once you have the basics down transition to MvC2.
    rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rndmtask

Wow, well like everybody else is saying, start off with SSFIV, it's slower and will help you to start thinking in a fighting game mentality. Then try MvC2, which might be overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it. Once you learn the basics, you should have a good understanding about what the hell is going on.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nohthink
    @JDDrewes: Not gonna lie. If you get MvC2 and go to online, you're gonna get air juggled right at the beginning and get KOed without touching a single button. With that said, you'll probably face the same problem if you get Super Street Fighter 4 also because the game has been out for awhile and all the people that are online now are the people who have played SSF 4 a lot for a long time. So... I don't know. Just get MvC3 because it is going to be a new game and because it is getting lots of attentions, a lot of people(including "normal" who don't really play fighting games like you and me) are gonna buy it. So you'll be able to find a match that you can actually have fun. 
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By MysteriousBob

Once again- download Mortal Kombat 1 for the Mega Drive (make sure you use the blood code). It was my first fighting game and regardless what its quality may be in the history of fighting games- it is a brilliant introductory 2D fighting game.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @matrix_hiei said:
    " yes, this would be a great first fighting game. hell, i really got into the genre with marvel vs. capcom 2. thing is, even if you just play it casually games like this can be really fun. it's so fast paced and visceral that anyone can pick it up and have fun with, even if you may not know what's going on until you really sit down and learn the combos and strategy. "
    So did I but MVC1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.