£47.99

#1 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

Can someone please explain to me to reasoning behind such absurd pricing? This is the UK PSN store pricing for Mass Effect 2. I figured the digital download copy should be a fair bit cheaper than the hard copy considering there is no manufacturing costs (at least I don't think so).

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

People like money.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

DAYUM...thats a lot to be asking for a game thats been out for a year -.-

#4 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I guess game publishers want to start pushing the 'real' RRP of £49.99... 

#5 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

I just don't get why I would wanna pay more for a version of the game that doesn't have a disc and a box, and instead just takes up a crazy amount of space on my hard drive

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
That seems reasonable, considering that it is a new release for PS3.
#7 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@BomberDude said:
" I just don't get why I would wanna pay more for a version of the game that doesn't have a disc and a box, and instead just takes up a crazy amount of space on my hard drive "
The cost for them to produce digital copies isn't significantly less. Sure it's not as much as producing a game box but holding server databases to download from is an expense as well.
Also I get a feeling they ask for that price in the beginning to prevent getting heat from retailers since it would be in direct competition with them if that were the case.
#8 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay:  Ah I see, that makes sense
#9 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Axxol said:

" That seems reasonable, considering that it is a new release for PS3. "

No, it doesn't. 
 
£40 is the universal asking price in almost all games retailers.  
 
If they start charging the RRP of £50, then I will more or less give up gaming. That's the equivalent of $80.
#10 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

I saw this last night. 
 
Tbh I'm not surprised. The majority of the PSN prices are WHACK. Even long after release.
 
Assassin's Creed 1 is in the January sale, only £16.99!

#11 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" People like money. "
#12 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

I got it on steam for $15 or $20. lol.

#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" DAYUM...thats a lot to be asking for a game thats been out for a year -.- "
Look up Modern Warfare 2, then we'll talk.
#14 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

You get it on xbox for a fiver.
#15 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@BomberDude said:
" Can someone please explain to me to reasoning behind such absurd pricing? This is the UK PSN store pricing for Mass Effect 2. I figured the digital download copy should be a fair bit cheaper than the hard copy considering there is no manufacturing costs (at least I don't think so). "
theres your answer.
#16 Posted by Vanek (382 posts) -

That's so damn stupid.  Who would pay more for the digital version? 
 
That price is in the greedy Activision zone, but really the prices for full game downloads are always messed up.  I haven't bothered with the PSN for some time but the Xbox 360 games on demand prices are also too high. 
 
You can go into a retail shop and buy it for £39.99 band new and I much prefer having a physical copy ...

#17 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

Because retail stores such as Gamestop don't like it when companies make their product cheaper to download then it is in their store. If all the games on psn were cheaper than in stores, gamestop would lose a ton of customers. So for now to keep the retailers happy, they price them equally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.