Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Broken Economy? *minor spoilers

Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fait622

Ok, maybe I just missed somthing (or a lot of somethings), but is it even possible to buy all the upgrades before the final mission? I missed out on Legions sniper rifle because I didn't have enough Platinum; a mineral exchange would have been awesome I had +100K Irridium and Palladium and was just to burnt out on mining to get more. I know that was mainly my fault, but the real problem was that I ran out of credits. 

I had everything but a biotic damage upgrade, a pistol damage upgrade, a bypass upgrade and a medi-gel capacity upgrade. I did every side mission and was still ~ 175K short before the collector attack.  

Is there a way to more consistantly make money or did I just blow too much and the gift shops?

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By LeadNinja

Starting with a character from ME1 or a new game plus gives you more minerals and money to start with. Other than that, I don't think you need absolutely every last upgrade (especially not the cosmetic surgery upgrade) to get everyone out alive.

Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fait622

I did start with a ME1 upload, and I did bring everyone out alive., I am just a bit of a completionist and wanted to own everything. It's the lack of a mineral exchange really bothers me the more I think about it. Why can't I sell some minerals if I have a crapload extra and they are so "rare", or why can't I but some if I am just a little short and don't feel like scanning? Even just letting me trade one mineral for another would have been a huge help for me around end-game.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Fait622: In a fresh game you will not have enough money to max everything. On the second playthrough you might have enough, but I'm not 100% on that.

Yes there is a way to make infinite money. If you're on PC just use any old regular tool like CheatOmatic or others. If you are on a console: I posted a way before, but it got swallowed up because of broken forum posting i in general instead of ME2 section.
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Computerplayer1

i had an me1 brought over and I bought everything. The trick is to get the discount wherever possible.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By End_Boss
    @Fait622: Tennmuerti offers an interesting and, as far as I can tell, perfectly legitimate solution to your resource woes. Other than that, you seem to answer your own question: your resources are not completely exhausted, you just have to sack up and head back to the mines.
    Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fait622

@Computerplayer1:
    I brought over an ME1 player too and got what I thought were all the discounts, maybe missed some. that and I clearly bought too many model ships and frekking fish that I never fed

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Cornman89

A fresh, non-imported character will not have the scratch to buy every upgrade.

I wouldn't call that a broken economy, though. Don't know what you were thinking there.

Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fait622

I am just thinking that if there is too much or too little currency in an economy then it does not work. Some examples of this are Fable 2, where if you just work long enought to make some serious property investments then it is only a matter of time before you have many times more money than can possibly be spent in the game; and ME 2, where you can gather every credit available and not be able to buy everything in the game. The game itself still works fine; I love the thing, but the economy is not-optimal

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I think Bioware was trying to fix the 999999999Credits issue from ME1 - where in after a few side quests and mineral deposits you've maxed out  your cash. Much like Dragon Age they try to make Money matter in ME2 - don't just buy up everything blindly or you may find yourself unable to purchase an essential upgrade. Bioware has seemingly designed the game from the ground up so you HAVE to play it twice with a character to max out (the exp, the upgrades, the money etc) unless you import a Maxed out ME1 toon - even then you may be lacking some of the upgrades.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By haggis

I just get a kick out of the fact that Cerberus can afford to bring me back from the dead, build a brand stinkin' new Normandy, and yet I've still got to scrounge around for cash to buy upgrades for my guns. :/ 

I mean, I understand the point of purchasing upgrades, but with such deep pockets, it seems strange that Cerberus won't pony up for widely available biotics upgrade. They could have at least tried to offer an in-story justification for this. I would have much rather all the upgrades be *found* rather than purchased, and left the purchasing for collectibles, special armor upgrades and perhaps some real gambling side games. :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Always get a discount, you get more money if you imprt from ME1, and you get even more if you're an ME1 import on a second playthrough. Also, some of the upgrades you can buy can be researched so because there is much more minerals than credits in the game, mine first, then buy everything. I managed to get every single upgrade this way. Mind you, it was on a second playthrough though because they gave me an extra 200,000 credits (maybe 300,000 I can't remember) 

@haggis said:

" I just get a kick out of the fact that Cerberus can afford to bring me back from the dead, build a brand stinkin' new Normandy, and yet I've still got to scrounge around for cash to buy upgrades for my guns. :/   I mean, I understand the point of purchasing upgrades, but with such deep pockets, it seems strange that Cerberus won't pony up for widely available biotics upgrade. They could have at least tried to offer an in-story justification for this. I would have much rather all the upgrades be *found* rather than purchased, and left the purchasing for collectibles, special armor upgrades and perhaps some real gambling side games. :) "
    Cerberus could have also brought you back to life as a Level 30, could they not have? It's a game.
    Roboyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Roboyto

carrying over a "Rich" ME1 toon and starting a second playthrough(or third, whichever gives you the bonus cash at the start) allows you to buy every upgrade. I dont know why you were buying the bypass upgrades as doubling the time you get to hack stuff seems a huge waste

EDIT: Guess i should note that you need tto do pretty much every quest to have enough credits when starting a game with the 2 bonuses to credits

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lebkin
    @haggis said:

"I just get a kick out of the fact that Cerberus can afford to bring me back from the dead, build a brand stinkin' new Normandy, and yet I've still got to scrounge around for cash to buy upgrades for my guns. :/   I mean, I understand the point of purchasing upgrades, but with such deep pockets, it seems strange that Cerberus won't pony up for widely available biotics upgrade. They could have at least tried to offer an in-story justification for this. I would have much rather all the upgrades be *found* rather than purchased, and left the purchasing for collectibles, special armor upgrades and perhaps some real gambling side games. :) "

The first is that it is stated several times that Cerberus was spent a huge amount of its capital reviving Shepard and rebuilding the Normandy.  There simply isn't a huge amount of extra cash going around.

But what is there is given to Shepard.  Every time you complete a mission, you get credits from two different sources.  One is whatever you pickup in the mission, appropriately labeled "Credits Found".  The second is "Cerberus Funding".  This represents their continued investment in Shepard and the greater mission.  So you are getting paid with every single mission.  That is Cerberus helping you get that widely available biotics upgrade. 
    Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fait622

I wasn't trying to start a debate on the story cannon or anything, I just think that you should be able to earn enough money to purchase everthing in the game (I don't think that it should be easy just doable) 

and @Roboyoto; in hindsight I would not have bought hacking upgrades and gift shop items if I thought there would be a shortage of credits in the game, I just wanted to buy them because they were there and figured I would have the opportunity to make all the money I needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.