Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Jokers illness?

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So i have the Mass Effect Trilogy for the ps3 and thus have played ME2 first in 2011 and ME3 in 2012 and just recently played ME1 for the first time and noticed how broken the lore of these games are. Joker says that his legs are the only problem he has and yet minutes into ME2 he complains that you grab his arm and you hear his bones creaking, later the ribs, and so on in ME2/3. The more I played ME1 and later 2 again after the story just falls apart with the lore. Why did people still care by the end of ME3 anyway?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

So i have the Mass Effect Trilogy for the ps3 and thus have played ME2 first in 2011 and ME3 in 2012 and just recently played ME1 for the first time and noticed how broken the lore of these games are. Joker says that his legs are the only problem he has and yet minutes into ME2 he complains that you grab his arm and you hear his bones creaking, later the ribs, and so on in ME2/3. The more I played ME1 and later 2 again after the story just falls apart with the lore. Why did people still care by the end of ME3 anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteogenesis_imperfecta

Your assumption that brittle bone disease (which Joker mentions by name) only affects one part of the body is a poor one.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: He also specifically says it only affects his legs, extends from the hips down i believe he says. Oh and then he totally shoots an assault rifle at the end of the game...

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@thanatos3: I think what he says is he's broken bones in his legs many times and has trouble walking as a result.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker went from you touch me too hard I'll die

to

Shepard don't throw me so hard

to

I'm fine.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought Cerberus fixed him up at the beginning of ME2? But that his legs were too messed up to be truly fixed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think different writers had different interpretations.

I personally prefer the brittle legs thing, because I could see you becoming a star military pilot with a moderate handicap, but a full body thing is a bit much.

jaffaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jaffaz

@mikejflick said:

Joker went from you touch me too hard I'll die

to

Shepard don't throw me so hard

to

I'm fine.

This is so perfectly succinct. Well said.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too much titan

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He's always had brittle bone disease, not sure where you got the "legs only" thing. Probably an assumption from him calling himself a cripple.

It's been handled oddly a lot, but no worse than in the last minute of ME3 (spoilers, obviously) when after the Normandy crash-lands on an uninhabited planet, dude is the first person walking out of the ship. Every bone in his body should have been turned to dust in a crash like that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Joker is merely the victim of unimportant character syndrome in the first game. In the first game he is window dressing, they are not going to use him so he's can be portrayed with a memorable disease to add flavor. But, players liked his snark, so for game two the developers want to give him a roll, but to play a roll he has to be capable of doing SOMETHING, it is hard but he saves the ship. Therefor by game three he is a crucial character and he really does have to be useful, not breaking a hip like a Golden Girl, so they just put any infirmities to the background.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.