Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect Revelation (1)

PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By PepeSilvia

I never thought I was going to read a game novel after losing interest in Halo: Fall of Reach halfway through. Luckily, I gave another game novel a shot. I started reading the first of (at the moment) three Mass Effect books, the prequel to the first game, named Revelation. After finishing up Lair of the Shadow Broker I couldn't bare waiting any longer for new Mass Effect stories and in my desperation I bought the first two books for a very cheap prize. I was a little hesitant at first because it's a prequel to the first game, but my fears were gone after reading the first two chapters. It's great! The book focuses on Captain Anderson's time before Mass Effect. Especially his history with Saren. But as I'm just around 120 pages the focus has been more on getting to know Anderson and the history of the human alliance. It takes place in a lot of familiar spots of the games and I can't wait for Saren's first appearance. But as of now I can't really tell much more, just that it's worth checking out. The first 'setpiece' on a human colony sets everything up so nicely you're immediately hooked. It's a very different set-up than the human colony mission in the first game :)

I'm currently working on a hobby project where I want to make something graphic design-related every 2 days. I decided to make a cover for this book and illustrate the first setpiece wich sets everything up so nicely. It's not the complete cover yet, just a quick attempt. Let me know what you think! :) If you're interested you can always check out my Tumblr with more stuff and things I like :)  

No Caption Provided
    PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PepeSilvia

I never thought I was going to read a game novel after losing interest in Halo: Fall of Reach halfway through. Luckily, I gave another game novel a shot. I started reading the first of (at the moment) three Mass Effect books, the prequel to the first game, named Revelation. After finishing up Lair of the Shadow Broker I couldn't bare waiting any longer for new Mass Effect stories and in my desperation I bought the first two books for a very cheap prize. I was a little hesitant at first because it's a prequel to the first game, but my fears were gone after reading the first two chapters. It's great! The book focuses on Captain Anderson's time before Mass Effect. Especially his history with Saren. But as I'm just around 120 pages the focus has been more on getting to know Anderson and the history of the human alliance. It takes place in a lot of familiar spots of the games and I can't wait for Saren's first appearance. But as of now I can't really tell much more, just that it's worth checking out. The first 'setpiece' on a human colony sets everything up so nicely you're immediately hooked. It's a very different set-up than the human colony mission in the first game :)

I'm currently working on a hobby project where I want to make something graphic design-related every 2 days. I decided to make a cover for this book and illustrate the first setpiece wich sets everything up so nicely. It's not the complete cover yet, just a quick attempt. Let me know what you think! :) If you're interested you can always check out my Tumblr with more stuff and things I like :)  

No Caption Provided
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By takua108

That's a pretty sweet cover, but i think I'd like it more if everything that wasn't text was mirrored horizontally, because that's an awesome back cover for a book, but a kinda boring front cover. Great art, though!

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By crimsonclown

The ME novels are really great. Granted they're not pieces of literary genius but they're well written and do a great job of fleshing out the universe. Still need to pick up the third one that was released over the Summer.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I enjoyed the first two, gonna buy the third one soon.

Can't have enough Mass Effect.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Sweet, I'll pick this up later this month. Captain Anderson is cool.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Huh, the lead writer of Mass Effect is also a Novel Writer.

That almost seems to make sense doesn't it "every other game company"? Is it possible that being a coding whiz does not imply skill at creating characters and evoking emotions? Maybe? Hmm!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tourgen

Hey that's a pretty cool project idea you have.  I like your cover artwork sketch.  It looks good keep it up.

I'm almost done with the 3rd book.  It's good, about as good as the other two, maybe a little more interesting.  I can't get enough of the Mass Effect world myself.  I'm curious if those 4 comics that came out around the time of ME2 are any good.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Venatio

So I've read the fist two Mass Effect books, Revelation and Ascension, and I really enjoyed both of them, first one was better though

I have yet to read Retribution but I'll probably get it soon. The thing that confuses me about that book is how they're gonna handle Andersson as the main protagonist, is he a council member or an advisor? Did Shepard blow up the station at the end of ME2? Kahlee's return makes sense but I do wonder how they're gonna handle the other stuff considering that the game lets the player decide major plotpoints

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Venatio
    @tourgen said:

" Hey that's a pretty cool project idea you have.  I like your cover artwork sketch.  It looks good keep it up.  I'm almost done with the 3rd book.  It's good, about as good as the other two, maybe a little more interesting.  I can't get enough of the Mass Effect world myself.  I'm curious if those 4 comics that came out around the time of ME2 are any good. "

I've read the comics and I thought they were pretty good, well drawn and written, set up Lair of the Shadow Broker pretty well
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jadeskye

i recently finished the third book and thoroughly enjoyed it. looking forward to more in the future.

PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PepeSilvia

Thanks for the replies! I'll show some results of the cover later on :) Like Venatio said, the 4 comics were ok, they set up to the events to Lair of the Shadow Broker and what happened to Shepard's body after the crash. Wasn't too special imo but a nice extra bit of Liara story. I heard there's one coming about the C-Sec security guy, should be interesting as well. I think the Citadel is one of the cooles places and I really hope the story of Mass Effect 3 takes you there again. 

After reading some more I'm finally at the point where Saren enters the story. It made me realize that Mass Effect 3 needs a new antagonist beside the collection of Reapers. Even though there was a bigger threat in Mass Effect than Saren himself, it did give you someone to hate. It can't be the Illusive Man as wether you're friends with him or not depends on player choice at the end of 2. Wich means some people would miss out on that. 

Some spoilers from the first 11 chapters ahead:

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice, I want to read it now. 

For the record, PepeSilvia is one of the best usernames on the site.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

Personally I found Revelations pretty bland and boring. 

PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PepeSilvia
    @JJWeatherman said:

" Nice, I want to read it now.  For the record, PepeSilvia is one of the best usernames on the site. "

Thank you! I'll forward your quote to Carol in HR ;) Any chance your name is based on a certain one-armed man in Arrested Development? :P

@Tennmuerti

said:

" Personally I found Revelations pretty bland and boring.  "

Aw, too bad :( Did you ever bother reading the other books?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @PepeSilvia said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" Nice, I want to read it now.  For the record, PepeSilvia is one of the best usernames on the site. "

Thank you! I'll forward your quote to Carol in HR ;) Any chance your name is based on a certain one-armed man in Arrested Development? :P "  
    No actually, but I've gotten that quite a few times. It is quite similar.  :P
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @PepeSilvia:  Nope just the first one.
    I like ME universe and I LOVE sci-fi books, but Revelations was kinda meh, it's nice as a suplement to the overall ME story, but nothing beyond that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.