Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 PS3 Demo Impressions

doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By doejonathan

Having played both Mass Effect games on the PC, I was curious to see how ME2 would turn out on the PS3. The demo is currently available and there are some differences other than the obvious (display resolution for example). 

The demo opens with a "previously on" -intro which doesn't show any paragon-renegade choices, Shepard (male, no matter what gender you choose to play) and the universe are simply introduced along with a rough outline of the story arc's first act. There isn't a preview of the interactive comic available. The rest opens as the PC demo did, except with an odd twist, or at least a surprise: instead of Ashley (who appears in the intro during an ME2 scene (?) or Kaiden, we see a distinctive looking backside of an asari. That's right, Liara is the one running towards you informing you the Normady could use a new paintjob. 

The other difference is the next mission, while the PC demo had you boarding a ship called the Pergatory to recruit a biotic named Jack, the PS3 let's you go after a salarian scientist instead. Going through the apartment-blocks on Omega, you'll be fighting the vorcha and some krogen. To me, it's an odd choice as the Pergatory had some human and mech enemies while pitting you against a mini-boss all the while the Pergatory is on high alert. It was a nice introduction to some new gameplay elements in ME2 as well as introducing newcomers to a fascinating world where ethics are in a galactic clinch. 

It's looking good, it's a good looking game, a looker if you will. The button mapping could use some customisation, and while the loading times are fine, I'm a bit worried for the full game as the demo was, ofcourse, running off the HDD.  
    I'm positive PS3 owners will be able to jump in the story without having played ME1. The comic should be able give you a good idea of what has happened in the first act, and ME2 and ME3 should be enough to give you the opportunity to create one of the most complex and conflicted characters in videogame history. Mass Effect is, in my opinion, not aboutwhat happens story-wise, but how it affects the character you choose to create.  

My advice, pick the female Shepard. Jennifer Hale give Shepard a versatile personality which will never break character whatever the dialog choice is. The female Shepard is stronger, more goal driven, more badass, Hale gives Shepard a natural authority, while leaving open the possibility for showing emotion. There is something gnawing on her soul, something beneath the surface. The male Shepard is either a noble dick, or just kind of a dick. Don't let anyone ever tell you voice acting is just reading off some lines, there are far to many games with mediocre or even unbearable voiceacting (Heavy Rain, I'm looking at you kiddo). 

Too long to read: the demo is out now.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Surprising thing in the demo was those guys shooting me right at the beginning of the Mordin-retrieval mission.  I thought they just greeted you and said you were safe or whatever in 360 and PC version.  Other than that, I had audio problems where some gun sounds/biotic sounds sounded too muffled or were completely absent, and I should know since I've played this game for over 100 hours.  Anyways, a fine demo.  I don't know if I'll buy it a third time but PS3 owners are in for a treat.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Jennifer Hale's work in both Mass Effects is awesome. Her delivery of the different morality lines is much more dynamic than the male Sheperd, while his is still good, it isn't as good as the female.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

One thing I noticed was the lighting and shadowing was much, much better in the PS3 version. The textures themselves were negligibly better or the same, but the lighting was a lot better. It's good to see them take a port seriously and take the time to improve the experience rather than just cash in on it.

doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By doejonathan
    @rjayb89: I had the same thing with the audio, it felt like something was missing. I play all my games with headphones in stereo, and it felt as if on the PS3 the mix wasn't downgrading it correctly (from 5.1to 2.0). There's a strange hollowness to it.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @doejonathan: Eh, I prefer Meer over Hale...I have never played a male Shepard as a renegade though so I don't really know how that playthrough goes through. The few times I do the renegade interrupts or do the renegade choice he sounds just fine. C'mon are you really going to tell his "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite shop on the citadel" can be outdone? I think not!

Hale sounds like she stresses her voice...the entire time. Like a girl *trying* to be a badass.

Also they have your assistant be Liara because they have you do the comic and choose who dies on Virmire after the normandy gets sent to the shop before Shepard goes Robocop. It's also not really a new addition, if Liara was your love interest she ran up to you in the beginning of Mass Effect 2.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @doejonathan:  It was always Liara for me because she was my love interest in the first game. Also, while I agree that Hale does a good Shepard, I still prefer male Shepard.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @benjaebe said:
    " One thing I noticed was the lighting and shadowing was much, much better in the PS3 version. The textures themselves were negligibly better or the same, but the lighting was a lot better. It's good to see them take a port seriously and take the time to improve the experience rather than just cash in on it. "
    Its because they are Using the mass effect 3 engine for PS3 version. 
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By newhaap

Is it true that they're using the engine for ME3, or was that just a rumor?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany
    @newhaap said:
    "

"
    Yes they are
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

If you are going Renegade, male Shep is the only option:  

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

Even though I played both Mass Effects on 360 I'm really thinking about getting this for PS3.  I didn't get a chance to play any of the DLC and maybe I'll even get ME3 on my PS3.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @doejonathan said:
    " @rjayb89: I had the same thing with the audio, it felt like something was missing. I play all my games with headphones in stereo, and it felt as if on the PS3 the mix wasn't downgrading it correctly (from 5.1to 2.0). There's a strange hollowness to it. "
    It's probably because it's a downloadable demo. Some companies downgrade the audio to make the file size smaller. I've never played a Mass Effect game before but I also thought the audio was weird.
    Euey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Euey

Looks like they've done a really good job with the conversion. Almost tempted to buy it again.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Bigrhyno

I've beaten the game once on 360, and have another save that is almost finished, but for some reason I am tempted to play it again on the PS3 version.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yoctoyotta

I played 1 & 2 on the 360, but I'm gonna pick this up for the PS3 for a replay with all the DLC I missed the first time, and I also want to get my dad into the game, and he only has a PS3.

Regarding the demo and the new ME3 engine in general I suppose, I'm a little dismayed that they aren't locking the framerate. I'm all for high framerates, but the constant flux in the demo makes me wish they'd just gone for a steady 30fps. It makes an otherwise beautiful game look unnecessarily sloppy.

Also, did anyone experience weird audio issues with the opening movie? I played using 7.1 headphones, and while the game's audio mix was fine, that opening movie had the dialog buried underneath the music and SFX to the point where it was unintelligible, even at high volumes.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    @newhaap said:
    "

"
    Don't forget that they aren't using the engine the same way as they will in the third game. This game is not built on the Mass Effect 3 engine just running on it. :) 
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TepidShark
    @doejonathan:  As a PS3 only owner (well I have a Wii as well but Mass Effect wasn't on that either) who as obviously never played Mass Effect before, I can say that demo did not make me want to go out and play the full game. I was completely lost without that comic, so making "decisions" in the dialogue trees had no meaning to me. It introduces too many things to you too fast I thought. To be fair though I was playing it on an SD TV which I would not recommend as text is near impossible to read without HD. I don't think PS3 owners can get a sense of what that game is about from that demo. If you are a PS3 owner who has never played Mass Effect before, I would probably wait & rent the real game which I will probably do.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By bibledoctor

Good to see people are saying relatively good things about the demo. I own Mass Effect 1&2 on the 360 and I plan to buy ME2 on my PS3 to see the new engine at work.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By matpaget

This is my 4th start up of the demo and the voices aren't syncing with the mouths anymore
    Anyone have this problem?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#21  Edited By Grumbel

Demo looked good so far, my only complaint would be that there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly turn around 180 degree, coming from ME2 on the PC and having recently played a lot of Resident Evil 5 on PS3, turning around manually will kind of slow and sluggish. Also is there a way to center the camera back behind the character?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.