Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Question(s) about the DLC

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Loose

I just beat ME1 a couple of days ago and have since dove into the second. I fully intend to play through the DLC, but I was wondering how it's integrated into the game: is the DLC content separate from the core game, does it all take place after the main game's storyline and, to that extent, would there be any reason for me to download any of it before completing ME2?

I'm sure I could find all this stuff out on my own, but since I'm so late to the ME2 party I've found it somewhat difficult to get information about the game without being subjected to a variety of spoilers.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Twisted_Scot

As far as Ive noticed it doesn't really matter too much. If you play it while your playing ME2 there are some other plot things mentioned but nothing that I found that swayed me to play it during or after ME2's main game. Some of the DLC is 50% on XBL (if that's what you play it on) off until August 1st so id go ahead and buy it now if you want it just because of the price. Although I cant honestly think of one piece of ME2 DLC that I though was worth the money (i paid full price tho) just to warn you.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Loose
    @Twisted_Scot: Thanks for the info, and yes I am playing it on XBL so I'll probably just go ahead and get the DLC today. I'd heard that some of the DLC wasn't great, but fuck it I like me some Mass Effect so far so I'll take whatever more I can get.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

What? The kasumi dlc is awesome, overlord is fun and lair of the shadow broker was siumply fantastic, the only dlc that was bad was arrival.

Get the dlc, it is worth it. Also Some dlc is contextual to the story like lair of the shadow broker and arrival, so you have to be past a certain point in order to start them but you can do almost any of them before finishing the game, they also give you extra upgrades.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

Overpriced, of course, but they're decent enough. Didn't play Arrival.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Dany: Im not saying the DLC was terrible but I definitelywouldn't say that for the length of them and amount of replay they were worth full price outside of people who are ME fans, and even then maybe waiting for a sale.

@FunExplosions: Yeah, arrival again was Ok.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sjosz

Not all DLC unlocks right away, but pretty much all of it is playable during the core game, or after.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Loose
    @Dany: @Sjosz: Good to hear (read?) that it can be played during the full game, I wouldn't be too pleased if it was all just tacked on as separate content. I'm currently downloading it all and looking forward to playing through it.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @Loose said:
    @Dany: @Sjosz: Good to hear (read?) that it can be played during the full game, I wouldn't be too pleased if it was all just tacked on as separate content. I'm currently downloading it all and looking forward to playing through it.
    The only DLC you should really play post-game is Lair Of The Shadow Broker. All of the other ones can be played during the main missions, with the exception of The Arrival, (I think).
    rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By rockinkemosabe

The Lair of the Shadow Broker is hands down the best DLC for ME2. But honestly, based purely on speculation, I can only see Shadow Breaker and The Arrival playing into ME3.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Loose
    @Napalm said:
    @Loose said:
    The only DLC you should really play post-game is Lair Of The Shadow Broker. All of the other ones can be played during the main missions, with the exception of The Arrival, (I think).
    Ha, the only DLC that I've played through so far is actually LotSB. It was pretty freakin' awesome and I kinda regret having completed it so early. Oh well. 

From what I can tell though all of the DLC is accessible before the main plot is completed. I've been made to understand that Arrival leads into ME3 though so should I save that until after I've completed the main-game?
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Each DLC unlocks differently thorughout the story. They all fit in pretty well. 
    Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dunchad

@Napalm said:

@Loose said:

Hmm, that is weird. I just finished Lair for the first time (doing my New Game+ to get ready for ME3) and I felt it fit in perfectly. It was the last thing I did on Illium, so I've just finished recruits and will start on loyalty missions next. I didn't notice anything in the DLC that would have made more sense after finishing the game. I mean, even the dialogue with Liara back at Normandy was tailored to happen before the ending (she brought up how I'll soon go through the Omega 4 Relay and might not survive).

Does the dialogue change if you do the DLC after finishing up with the Collectors? That would be interesting. Or was this about the dossiers? They do contain some stuff you only find out later on during the loyalty missions, for sure.

Anyway - not going to get the other DLCs, this was the only one I was interested in and it did not let me down. Mass Effect game without Liara is like a DA2 without Merrill - utterly worthless.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @Dunchad: Any time Liara says, "the Collectors," she says, "the Reapers" if you play it post-game. It doesn't alter much accept for some dialogue, but the fact that she's an old squadmate rejoining to help you in the future, it just feels right playing it post. That's my opinion, at least.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Loose
    @Dunchad: As @Napalm stated the dialogue changes slightly depending on whether you complete LotSB before or after the suicide mission. From a gameplay standpoint it makes sense to complete it prior to the suicide mission, but it kinda sets up for ME3 (in which Liara will be a squad member again) if you play it post-suicide mission. Actually one way you can do it is to play through the entirety of Shadow Broker before you complete the suicide mission and then talk to Liara after you've completed it; you'll get the benefit of the credits and minerals, Tela Vasir's comments about Shepard working for Cerberus make a little more sense and you get the post-game dialogue with Liara where she comments on the Reapers coming.

It doesn't make a huge difference either way you play it but I sorta preferred the post-game dialogue and I think a lot of other people did. I'd also suggest playing Arrival because it kinda bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3. It's definitely not as good as LotSB but it's short and fairly enjoyable. You can safely skip Overlord though, it doesn't really tie into the main plot much and aside from a few moments it was largely forgettable.
    Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dunchad

@Loose said:

@Dunchad: As @Napalm stated the dialogue changes slightly depending on whether you complete LotSB before or after the suicide mission. From a gameplay standpoint it makes sense to complete it prior to the suicide mission, but it kinda sets up for ME3 (in which Liara will be a squad member again) if you play it post-suicide mission. Actually one way you can do it is to play through the entirety of Shadow Broker before you complete the suicide mission and then talk to Liara after you've completed it; you'll get the benefit of the credits and minerals, Tela Vasir's comments about Shepard working for Cerberus make a little more sense and you get the post-game dialogue with Liara where she comments on the Reapers coming.

It doesn't make a huge difference either way you play it but I sorta preferred the post-game dialogue and I think a lot of other people did. I'd also suggest playing Arrival because it kinda bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3. It's definitely not as good as LotSB but it's short and fairly enjoyable. You can safely skip Overlord though, it doesn't really tie into the main plot much and aside from a few moments it was largely forgettable.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. Will have to pay her a visit after finishing up then.

I think I might just read up on Arrival or something - I hear it's very gameplay heavy, which isn't the reason I enjoy ME. I get my enjoyment out of the story and dialogue (Eternity bar was and still is, on my favorite part of ME2 with the random dialogue you can overhear as well as Conrad and the matriarch bartender).

magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By magimix

@Dunchad said:

@Loose said:

I think I might just read up on Arrival or something - I hear it's very gameplay heavy, which isn't the reason I enjoy ME. I get my enjoyment out of the story and dialogue (Eternity bar was and still is, on my favorite part of ME2 with the random dialogue you can overhear as well as Conrad and the matriarch bartender).

It is extremely combat heavy. Moreover, its a solo mission - so you won't be taking any of your party members with you. The mission is enjoyable enough (I like the combat in the game, for my part), but not being able to take party members limits the variety you can get from your runs through it to an extent.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Loose
    @Dunchad said:

@Loose said:

Ah, thanks for letting me know. Will have to pay her a visit after finishing up then.

Just to clarify, once you've invited Liara aboard the Normandy you can't do so again, even after you've completed the suicide mission. Perhaps I've misread what you wrote, but your phrasing made it sound like you were going to attempt to talk to her after completing the suicide mission on your current playthrough. If you want to get the unique post-suicide mission dialogue you'll have to do it on a playthrough where you hold off on inviting her to your cabin until after you've completed the final mission. Just don't want ya to talk to Liara, have nothing happen and think "well shit, the internet lied to me".

I totally agree with you though, I also play ME more so for the characters and dialogue than the gameplay (not necessarily a knock against the gameplay, though obviously some things could've been done better).  LotSB was great because it was so focused on its story and dialogue, right down to the banter between Shepard and Liara when infiltrating the lair. I mostly suggested Arrival because it plays into the main story well and data from it is likely to be transferred into ME3. Overlord on the other hand is largely superfluous and, other than a cool/somewhat disturbing ending, doesn't really bring much to the table outside of combat and mediocre vehicle segments.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Teran
    @Loose: For most of the DLC it doesn't matter when you play it... the one exception being Arrival.  There are two different endings to the DLC (well basically the same ending, but Shepard speaks with one person or another) and the conversation Shepard has if you've already beaten the game is more satisfying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.