Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Bioware talks Garrus

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By PhatSeeJay

In the latest article from the GameInformer Mass Effect article series, Art Director Derek Watts takes us through the character design in Mass Effect and, more specifically, Garrus.
    The more interesting parts was when he revealed how much more design was behind Nihlus while Garrus was only receiving a small amount. Also, pictures of Garrus in ME3. Seems his scars have healed quite a bit now. Also, is he wearing some form of Alliance uniform underneath his armor? I would have guessed C-sec but the gold collar throws me off.

Enjoy.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

I just looks like the average formal dress wear underneath that.  And he was C-Sec before this whole Shephard business.  Maybe he goes back?  I hope not.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @PhatSeeJay:

He's looking great and I'm glad he's returning as a major character in ME3 but this does make me wonder, how many of your crew will return from ME2? What's been the word from Bioware

Would it be too much to ask from Bioware to get everyone?
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Venatio: 
     They have, so far, not actually eliminated any characters to appear in ME3. They've just said that some will "only" play the part as temporary party members.

I think the best example would be Wrex. He's fighting the fight for his Krogan people and you go there to help him and he becomes a temporary party member. When that's done, he swears his allegiance to you when you return to Earth and he becomes a party member for that as well.
    Kind of like with how things ended in DA2. Even if people wasn't in your party, they were still fighting at your side.

I think that we can safely expect that any character that still live after ME1 and 2, will at some point join your party, but not permanently if they have other priorities and need Shepard to come and assist them.
    I'd say that your romance options will probably be permanent characters, though. Doubt they'd have you invest time on them to have them run off like Liara and Ash/Kaidan did in ME2. Garrus, Ash/Kaidan and Liara being permanent party members makes me believe this at least.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Djeffers03

Shame mine died a bullshit death in ME2 :(

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

So, he finally got a new armor that doesn't have a GIANT HOLE IN IT. My man is moving up in the world.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By elyhaym

I like Garrus as a character, but mainly because I can't have Nihlus as a partymember. Was so disappointed to see him get an early end as I liked him a fair bit over Garrus, despite his pretty limited screentime.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

Garrus is the cat's pajamas!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117

Garrus has always been my favorite Mass Effect character, but that armor still looks ridiculous. Why does it need such a huge, circular thing around the head? It looks like it was made for a Buzz Lightyear dome even though he wears a compact helmet.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

Garrus is a cool cat (literally) but is totally conflicted in the the line that he shouldn't cross.

I hope that when we see the faces of the quarians, its after a huge battle against the geth on the homeworld and they all take off the masks in a huge sign of celebration

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343
    @PhatSeeJay: Can I mail you a fleshlight? You're my hero.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @project343:  Happy to help, I guess. :P
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lemmycaution217
    @FreakAche said:
    " Garrus is the cat's pajamas! "
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WalkerTR77
    @rudeboy217 said:
    " @FreakAche said:
    "
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Aronman789

Garrus is boring.

Need more Grunt.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hope that armor doesn't hamper his "reach" any

Hia7us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hia7us

Loved Garrus as a character, but his worth was severely limited in the second game. When it came to it, Samara, Miranda, and Thane were all I needed (Warp + Reave) except for the one or two missions against large amounts of geth (In which case, I just used Tali and Legion)

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Garrus

Pft, Nihlus.

If he'd stayed with a team, maybe he'd have lived. He might have survived too if he kept his helmet on.

And in response to the criticism of the armour -
    Huge neck shielding is always good, it means that you can be 8ft tall and your cover can be 5ft tall and you'll still have some good facial protection when crouched.
    Heavier is better. It just is.
    And that's not a formal dress under the plating, though it does give the image of it. Great for tactical VIP snatch and grab at formal parties. Formal bodysuit, but not a formal dress.

Also formal suits don't work in Zero Atmosphere environments.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Uniform looks like this.

No Caption Provided

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By melcene

I really liked Garrus.  There was something about him trying to understand humans and how they work that really endeared him to me.  That and he was kinda cute when trying to figure out how to get it on with FemShep.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Garrus

I am also liking the facial armour on the left side. May as well protect what's left of the other half. Damn Gunships.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

WHY DOES HIS ARMOR STILL LOOK SO STUPID

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DoctorTran
    @FreakAche said:
    Yep... Garrus is the Bee's Knees.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoctorTran
    @Kyreo said:
    " I just looks like the average formal dress wear underneath that.  And he was C-Sec before this whole Shephard business.  Maybe he goes back?  I hope not. "
    Considering how much smack he talked about C-Sec in the past two games, I think it'd be a huge stretch if he went back to them.

Also, isn't the Systems Alliance military a human only force? I remember a lot of the staff in the first game talking about how weird it was that there were aliens on the ship... Even the small portion where you have a ranking officer inspect your ship. I seem to recall him being slightly disgusted by there being so many aliens on an Alliance ship. Of course with the impending doom of the galaxy they could have opened their flood doors to candidates or even recruited Shepards closest allies. The latter seems more likely to me but the former would be awesome. I'd love to see a Volus in SA colors.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @DoctorTran said:

" @Kyreo said:

" I just looks like the average formal dress wear underneath that.  And he was C-Sec before this whole Shephard business.  Maybe he goes back?  I hope not. "
    Considering how much smack he talked about C-Sec in the past two games, I think it'd be a huge stretch if he went back to them.Also, isn't the Systems Alliance military a human only force? I remember a lot of the staff in the first game talking about how weird it was that there were aliens on the ship... Even the small portion where you have a ranking officer inspect your ship. I seem to recall him being slightly disgusted by there being so many aliens on an Alliance ship. Of course with the impending doom of the galaxy they could have opened their flood doors to candidates or even recruited Shepards closest allies. The latter seems more likely to me but the former would be awesome. I'd love to see a Volus in SA colors. "
    True. Though the Normandy is a Turian / Human cooperative project and Garrus knows the most about the ship's weapons. I would consider him to be the most likely turian to actually be recruited or at least given some form of provisional rank as a Systems Alliance operative. If Normandy actually gets Systems Alliance colors and markings, which the Dark Horse Normandy model would hint at, I have a feeling they won't just let things slide when it comes to none military personnel on board. Can't imagine Shepard will have as much freedom this time unlike when he was commanding the SR-1 and was a SPECTRE. Even if he still is a SPECTRE in your playthrough, I doubt that will protect him in the trial for the death of those 300 000 batarians.
    Avatar image for majesticoverlord
    MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By MajesticOverlord

Garrus is my favorite character. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zityz

My party mostly consisted of Jack, Garrus and then a swap between Miranda and Tali. The first time I saw him back in the 2nd game I was excited. SO happy he's back.

Random prediction: Joker dies in 3.
    caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By caityful
    @FreakAche said:
    Garrus is the cat's pajamas!
    ^_____^
    And with that, I imagined Garrus in pajamas with little cats on them. Pajamas for ME3!
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Creigz
    @Kyreo: I really don't see him going back to C-Sec. He hated it. However, I think it might just be some sort of under suit, and that happens to be the coloring of it really. It could also be formal wear, so when he needs to take off the suit he is dressed rather sharp! :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zityz: I hate you for making that prediction because the second I read it I realised how likely it was…
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zungerman090

What's with his gun? It has some kind of horizontal....thingie?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@zungerman090 said:

What's with his gun? It has some kind of horizontal....thingie?

Own Dead Space 2 and Garrus will come equipped with a plasma cutter, perhaps? XD

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BinaryDragon

Garrus lives! (in my game anyway)

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Teran
    I can't explain why, but there is something just so likeable about Garrus.  If you read about him on paper he really doesn't seem that interesting but having experienced two games with him the bond is really in the voice acting and writing that just couldn't be conveyed as well through something like a novel or comic.

@Kyreo said:
    I just looks like the average formal dress wear underneath that.  And he was C-Sec before this whole Shephard business.  Maybe he goes back?  I hope not.
    I doubt he'd go back to C-Sec.  If I had to guess, I'd say he's a Spectre and can wear whatever he wants... though I think it would be very cool if he were in the Alliance in some official capacity... a sign the humans are branching out and becoming more accepting of other races acting in closer proximity to earth... perhaps as a Turian advisor or even just having an honorary rank for his contributions while serving with Shepard... though that seems unlikely.

@Enigma777 said:
    So, he finally got a new armor that doesn't have a GIANT HOLE IN IT. My man is moving up in the world.
    In my ME2 he's had new pristine armor for quite some time >.>

@Hia7us said:
    Loved Garrus as a character, but his worth was severely limited in the second game. When it came to it, Samara, Miranda, and Thane were all I needed (Warp + Reave) except for the one or two missions against large amounts of geth (In which case, I just used Tali and Legion)
    That's not true.  The second game even on insanity is never difficult enough to truly lock you out of playing with the party members you wish.  I've beaten the game a few times on insanity three times (vanguard, infiltrator, soldier) and never felt like I had to use a party member for their skills... in fact my selection was often based on the assumption that they would be dead often.  I often stick with Miranda for her squad stat boosts but I'll bring squad members along on missions based on their story contributions like Zaeed on Samara's recruitment mission (or really any mission that has you dealing with mercenaries), Jack on Miranda's loyalty mission, or Tali/Legion on each other's loyalty missions.

Garrus wasn't a powerhouse, but generally speaking you could get all you needed in a group he was a part of.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Garrus is just a plain badass, calibrating all day and sniping fools all night!

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nocall

Agree with the general Garrus-love sentiment. When the inevitable ME mmo comes out, I'll probably be a Turian. Unless Geth are playable, that is. 

Anyway, I didn't do much with him in ME1 but in ME2 he was paragonshep's best bro. Despite this, I'm kinda conflicted as to whether or not he "should" be a playable party member. Supposedly the roster is smaller this go-around, and there's so many characters I'd like to see again yet I need to see some new blood as well. It'll be interesting to see how returning crew members there ends up being...

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mike76x

This thread makes me want my crew to be out of armor while on the Normandy.
    My Shepard is gonna be strolling around in a hoodie while everyone else is in full battle gear.
    I also hope I get a new crew, my last one...I was too late.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By niamahai

in ME3 is it Garrus's turn to have daddy issues?

it was briefly mentioned in ME1.

"my dad told me to stay @ C-Sec but nooo i had to try for Spectre"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.