Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Let's talk about Mass Effect 3 Demo - Insanity Mode

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I don't know about the rest of you but I want to jump into the game
    starting on Insanity Mode.  However, it's not as easy as ME2.  The
    enemy throws grenades & others are carrying shields that are a true pain
    in the ass!  Has anyone developed any tips on how to keep the game
    from being over-challenging on its hardest setting?

I was able to get through everything in the demo but the Mech.  I was
    pretty much out of everything killing all the rest of it by the time the 
    Mech showed up.  How do you beat the fucker on Insanity mode?
    Or are the NPCs on your team probably not the ones you want for
    Mechs in the game?   After about 15 tries, I racheted down the 
    difficulty level & beat the Mech without any effort, which isn't really
    what I'm looking for.

Let the discussion begin.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I was curious so I gave it a try. Its way harder then insanity was in Mass Effect 2! I just finished playing ME2 on insane and it was so much easier.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By galiant

@Lind_L_Taylor: If you

want to play the

game on the

hardest difficulty

setting, don't

expect it to be

easy.

scrummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By scrummers

Insanity is way harder then ME2. I tried a solider and got owned. Which is the only class i have played (which i know is stupid with all the other great clases.) So i tried infiltrator and beat the demo on insanity i died a few times. But that tactical cloak is beast with incinerate it's to bad i didn't have a sniper rifle. I will be switching to infiltrator in ME3.

Plus in the full game not every class will be carrying all the guns like in the demo which increases your recharge time for powers. So the full game is going to be much more fun.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

I had two issues with insanity in the Mass Effect 3 demo.

One: grenades. My tried and tested strategy of: finding cover and popping out, only to pop off enough shots to let me survive the bullets I'll be taking, doesn't work when you are forced to run away and get shot to death by the rest of the enemies.

I have mixed feelings about that. It makes the combat less pleasant, but maybe its a good thing that you can't just stay in cover all day. I do feel like they were throwing them way too often, though. Like, a dozen in a single combat.

Two: A combinations of the animations, speed of running, and the roll move made it a lot more difficult to find cover. I feel like the roll move should either be re-mappable or toggled off completely. Maybe the latter option is a bit drastic. I figure I'll probably get used to it eventually. It just made it frustrating when I felt like the reason I was dying at all was because Shepard wasn't moving the way I intended him/her to; a problem I didn't have in Mass Effect 2 (but did have in the first game as well, so... one step forward, one step back?).

That said, I have no intentions of writing off the game, and I'm going to go in on Insanity to begin with, despite how agonizing it will be to not finish the story as quickly as I have in the past.

scrummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scrummers

I agree with both of those issues. The AI throw grenades way to often i found myself dying a lot cause i was d out of cover right into the line of fire. With the roll at first it was annoying cause i was trying to get into cover only to roll right by it. But after getting use way the fights play out the roll comes handy when you have to dodge your way to safety. All in all the demo was just a barley a taste of the game and can't wait til MAR 6th.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1 Make sure your companions don't auto use their skills, you need to be able to be in total control of the fight.

#2 Spread your skills points evenly, your better to have every skill in your arsenal than just one super juiced up, fitness at rank 2 is quite good for this level.

#3 Incendiary ammo and armor piercing ammo for Garrus are your friend.

#4 Use Garrus's Overload on the shielded enemies, use Liara's Singularity on group of unshielded or on the Cerberus troops using riot shields.

#5 If Garrus's Overload is on cooldown, use Liara's stasis, it's a pretty good crowd control.

#6 Use Garrus's Overload on the mech shield, switch to Liara's Wrap once it's shield is depleted and you start to see his armor bar.

#7 Use your SMG and Shotgun on shields, Assault Rifle and Pistol on armor.

#8 Position your squad members well, don't bunch em all in the same location else you will all die together.

#9 Don't give up! Sometimes it's all about finding the right positioning, it took me 4 tries at the last checkpoint before figuring out that the balcony was the best location to make sure that the shielded pod would last.

Note: I haven't really used Garrus's proximity mines but I could see that as being quite useful for defending a certain pathway you don't want the enemies to come from (here I'm thinking the stairs in the second section)

And yes it's quite harder than ME2 Insanity but it's way more rewarding once you crack the puzzle! :)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @AndrewB:  I had a tough time moving around as well.  In ME2, you could minimize your 
    movement & get enough done from behind a couple of areas.  Getting up from a squatting
    area, found me running right into grenades or gunfire.
    @Narx:  I'll have to try that.  I noticed Overload wasn't doing much damage to the shields,
    especially when they start rushing close.

I had tried the Adept, spent a lot of time blasting Singularity twice at the enemy to slow them
    down or do a little damage.  It was good until running into the time limit near the end against
    the Mech.  Singularity didn't do anything against it.  I tried the biotic grenades, didn't seem to
    help that much.  You only get 3.

Maybe the Infiltrator will work, or something with strong shields so I don't have to move 
    when a grenade it tossed?
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By galiant

@Lind_L_Taylor:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm not a dick, I'm trying to show you how annoying it is when you go out of your way to format your posts like an idiot. Why are you the only person on the site doing this?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike
    @Galiant: It is pretty annoying, but let's try to keep the thread on topic. If you guys want to argue about how he formats his posts, do it in a PM please.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@Narx: I'll have to try that. I noticed Overload wasn't doing much damage to the shields, especially when they start rushing close. I had tried the Adept, spent a lot of time blasting Singularity twice at the enemy to slow them down or do a little damage. It was good until running into the time limit near the end against the Mech. Singularity didn't do anything against it. I tried the biotic grenades, didn't seem to help that much. You only get 3. Maybe the Infiltrator will work, or something with strong shields so I don't have to move when a grenade it tossed?

Nothing does a lot of damage to the mech shields...NOTHING! :P

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Narx said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@Narx: I'll have to try that. I noticed Overload wasn't doing much damage to the shields, especially when they start rushing close. I had tried the Adept, spent a lot of time blasting Singularity twice at the enemy to slow them down or do a little damage. It was good until running into the time limit near the end against the Mech. Singularity didn't do anything against it. I tried the biotic grenades, didn't seem to help that much. You only get 3. Maybe the Infiltrator will work, or something with strong shields so I don't have to move when a grenade it tossed?

Nothing does a lot of damage to the mech shields...NOTHING! :P

I was able to WIN with the Infiltrator.  In fact it was a lot easier.  I followed getting
    a little of all of the abilities as you suggested & it worked.  The biggest problem I
    think I had on the Mech was that extra squad that was attacking my flank.  So what I
    did to get around it was first attack the squad when they dropped down from the 
    higher floor.  Once they were out of the way, I could peg the Mech, bouncing back &
    forth on each side with a tactical cloak.  Although I lost Liara & didn't have any meds 
    to bring her back in the battle, I was still able to take the Mech out with Garrus.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Baillie

Having avoided the demo, I am pleased to see it is harder than ME2. That game was really, really easy on Insanity. Especially with a Soldier. I cruised through the last part, killing everything in my path with ease. I can't imagine what the game was like on normal...

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By octaslash

I can't
    Really get a good feel for the difficulty in the demo,
    considering you can't change your equipment.
    However, if the weight system
    is anything like the
    in the multiplayer, then it seems wise to just unequip everything for the
    Adept to reduce cool
    downs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lind_L_Taylor:

Awesome! Congrats! Glad that I could help you!

How loud did you screamed once you succeeded? :P

:

I had the same feeling, especially when I tried the Infiltrator and went: Where's my Sniper Rifle?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Narx said:

@Lind_L_Taylor:

Awesome! Congrats! Glad that I could help you!

How loud did you screamed once you succeeded? :P

@Octaslash :

I had the same feeling, especially when I tried the Infiltrator and went: Where's my Sniper Rifle?

It was more like skin-of-my-teeth-I-can-barely-believe-it relief. :)
    Thanks.
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jillsandwich

I didn't really believe them when they said that the game would be significantly harder this time, but holy shit, they weren't kidding.

It's going to be FUN trying to beat this game on Insanity.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CottonWolf

I didn't seem that bad with an adept. Much easier than ME2 anyway. I think it's because the basic troopers weren't shielded, so unlike the last game, you powers weren't made completely useless on the higher difficulties.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BRich

Insanity in 2 with a sentinel was a nice challenge, so I jumped into the demo with the same class. Holy shit, it got hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.