Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 Impressions - It's pretty, and fun. And addictive.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fruitcocoa
    The reapers are coming!
    The reapers are coming!

As I wrote yesterday I went to the world exclusive showing of the Mass Effect 3 Co-op missions. Now, that didn't happened. Or at least not as it was intended. I totally tried out a single player level. Now, I won't spoil what that was all about, but I am going to say one thing - one of the major changes that comes with Mass Effect 3 doesn't work at all, unfortunately. Now please, don't worry, because they basically said that it won't be that way in the final version. I wonder if I even want to tell you, I don't want you guys to be worried about a game that probably will work just fine when released, but at the same time it's my job. I went to this event as press, I totally cut throw the lines at every single game i tried out. So what is this buggy feature? The rolling back, forth and first and foremost forward.

It's not that it doesn't work, because it works. My problem is that even if you are standing, let's as close as you can stand against the wall but still don't touch it, you won't jump to cover. You will instead roll into the wall and then stand up, and then you'll have to push "A" for cover. This was a feature I thought was going to make the experience very, very smooth but instead it ended up putting me in weird situations where I was jumping into walls every single time.

With that said, something that is incredibly awesome in this game is the new skill tree. Man, I have to tell you--all the changes are so damn awesome that I would want to say that the Co-op mission (which I will tell you a little bit about later) will be one of the most fun moments with the game. You might be shocked right now, I was. Well the thing is that you have a lot more to spend points on, and when you've spent three points on a skill, you'll have to make a choice and specify that skill in a spacial area. I can't praise this enough, I played through the demo as a sentinel, an infiltrator and a soldier and it was a pretty unique experience with all the three classes.

The game looks very sharp, the voice work is great and the new enemies are awesome, even the once with the shield. Why? Because you can bend "throw" behind them and push them over, then own them with your omni-tool and totally abase them. Overall I think that this will be an amazing game. And hey, I promised a some Co-op news. And talked with a guy who played it and he basically said that all the different choices (class, weapon modification, powers) made it kind of makes it all addictive because of all the different ways to move forward. He told me how they had a group with a tank (who took down the enemies shields) and then threw the enemies around with "warp", "stasis" and "lift".

I will probably go back and play the Co-op in the coming days although I don't really feel that I need to. I got the confirmation I needed and it was about the lasting appeal. And yeah, this game will be great if they fix the cover problems. And yeah, for those of you who want to know about the menu, it's blue. Even the "3" is blue! And yes, don't look at videos from this part of the game because there's some major spoilers in there!

Now, feel free to ask questions! Also, guess what I got my hands on? Diablo III, which was one of the biggest surprises ever for me.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    The reapers are coming!
    The reapers are coming!

As I wrote yesterday I went to the world exclusive showing of the Mass Effect 3 Co-op missions. Now, that didn't happened. Or at least not as it was intended. I totally tried out a single player level. Now, I won't spoil what that was all about, but I am going to say one thing - one of the major changes that comes with Mass Effect 3 doesn't work at all, unfortunately. Now please, don't worry, because they basically said that it won't be that way in the final version. I wonder if I even want to tell you, I don't want you guys to be worried about a game that probably will work just fine when released, but at the same time it's my job. I went to this event as press, I totally cut throw the lines at every single game i tried out. So what is this buggy feature? The rolling back, forth and first and foremost forward.

It's not that it doesn't work, because it works. My problem is that even if you are standing, let's as close as you can stand against the wall but still don't touch it, you won't jump to cover. You will instead roll into the wall and then stand up, and then you'll have to push "A" for cover. This was a feature I thought was going to make the experience very, very smooth but instead it ended up putting me in weird situations where I was jumping into walls every single time.

With that said, something that is incredibly awesome in this game is the new skill tree. Man, I have to tell you--all the changes are so damn awesome that I would want to say that the Co-op mission (which I will tell you a little bit about later) will be one of the most fun moments with the game. You might be shocked right now, I was. Well the thing is that you have a lot more to spend points on, and when you've spent three points on a skill, you'll have to make a choice and specify that skill in a spacial area. I can't praise this enough, I played through the demo as a sentinel, an infiltrator and a soldier and it was a pretty unique experience with all the three classes.

The game looks very sharp, the voice work is great and the new enemies are awesome, even the once with the shield. Why? Because you can bend "throw" behind them and push them over, then own them with your omni-tool and totally abase them. Overall I think that this will be an amazing game. And hey, I promised a some Co-op news. And talked with a guy who played it and he basically said that all the different choices (class, weapon modification, powers) made it kind of makes it all addictive because of all the different ways to move forward. He told me how they had a group with a tank (who took down the enemies shields) and then threw the enemies around with "warp", "stasis" and "lift".

I will probably go back and play the Co-op in the coming days although I don't really feel that I need to. I got the confirmation I needed and it was about the lasting appeal. And yeah, this game will be great if they fix the cover problems. And yeah, for those of you who want to know about the menu, it's blue. Even the "3" is blue! And yes, don't look at videos from this part of the game because there's some major spoilers in there!

Now, feel free to ask questions! Also, guess what I got my hands on? Diablo III, which was one of the biggest surprises ever for me.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

"The Reapers are coming"

Ah, yes. "Reapers".

So, how RPG is it? As someone who vastly prefers that side of ME1 to ME2, will I be happy with ME3?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@Hitchenson said:

"The Reapers are coming"

Ah, yes. "Reapers".

So, how RPG is it? As someone who vastly prefers that side of ME1 to ME2, will I be happy with ME3?

I think so, at least when it comes to the skill tree and the weapon customisation. You can tweak both weapons and skills the way you want and that in my opinion is something that is awesome. You don't have to level up "lift" full to be able to lift more then one enemy, you can just focus on that part from the beginning. I think that parts for weapons needs to be a much larger part of the game now, there are a couple of customisation benches around so... As far as inventory goes, I don't now. That part was locked in the demo so I guess they have something new there.

matt_wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By matt_wickstrom

Thanks for the info man. I didn't think I could get more pumped for ME3, but you've convinced me otherwise.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@matt_wickstrom said:

Thanks for the info man. I didn't think I could get more pumped for ME3, but you've convinced me otherwise.

I was surprised that this new skill tree would change the gameplay. Also, I totally understand the Co-op now, then again I was a huge fan of "Pinnacle Station" for the original Mass Effect.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Any insight on how the coop will influence the single player?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@2HeadedNinja said:

Any insight on how the coop will influence the single player?

"We'll announce things around the Co-op in the very near future" is pretty much the answer to any question regarding Co-op. :/

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Olqavtoras

Did you ask why this is a great time for new players to start playing Mass Effect?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

@Olqavtoras said:

Did you ask why this is a great time for new players to start playing Mass Effect?

Just marketing, bioware or EA is making the game more accessible by offering preset modes that are either action/story/rpg.

So someone new to the game would just be able to play it through without the dialogue choices and RPG elements in action mode, or they can choose story mode and ignore te RPG elements of the game.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@Olqavtoras said:

Yes, I did. And the answer was exactly what I expected. They do have an interactive comic-like stuff again so you won't be lost. That's all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.