Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Minor Annoyances

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

I can't help but notice that there are a ton of minor annoying things that could have been fixed in this game. Most of them have to do with drawn out unnecessary time wasters.

One example is what is the point of scanning me every time I walk from the galaxy map area to the war room? Sure, I understand the story elements perhaps but did they have to make it so god damn slow? There is a scanning room on the citadel and I can run right through it, but on my own ship I have to walk in slow motion? My point is there is not an important story reason to justify that couple of seconds wasted every time I want to walk between the two spots.

During a lot of cut scenes there are unnecessary gestures and long pauses.

There are more examples, I should jot them down while I play.

They have significantly sped up load times (on the PC) for everything else though, so I just don't understand the rest of the wasted time in the game.

That being said, very minor annoyances for me. I am having so much fun with this game right now :)

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By UlquioKani

@DG991: The scanning thing is apparently to hide a load time

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mercot

Lots od little things bug me. I'm sure it was the same with ME2, but I've forgotten over time. My major nitpick is with the background conversations on the Citadel. In ME2 you could listen to the whole conversation just by walking away and back toward the citizens to activate the next round of dialogue. In ME3, the stories are just as good (if not even more interesting), yet each portion of back and forth dialogue is triggered by riding the elevator to another level and then coming back. I spent way too much time trying to get the full dialogue between the two Asari in the hospital wing. Totally worth it, but why restructure it like that?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

That scan hides a load.
    The war room is kind of significant both asset wise and in terms of mechanical complexity, consider just how much different shit goes on in there. The different ambassadors, conversations, more contacts with alliance, war effort, multiplayer hook in.
    On the PC with an SSD the war room load for me is so fast it almost feels like my Shepard is simply slowing down his walk to go through the scan, it takes literaly about a second. At first I did not even think it was a load, just though the game made him slow down a bit when passing it for some wierd reason.
    That's also why the 2 guards are stationed next to it by the way, so that you have something to listen to while passing the scan, a very cute is obvious design, but apreciated nontheless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@UlquioKani: @Tennmuerti: That load-hiding scan (along with a lot of other compromises) really makes the age of this generation kind of apparent. It felt like they were optimizing and finding efficiencies up until last holiday, now it feels like they've hit a dead end.

Nexnecis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Nexnecis

Yeah, if you watch the GB Quicklook it's especially noticable how the scan room hides a load. On my 360 HD-installed game the scan lasts maybe 2-3 passes before it lets me continue. On the GB QL , where they played it off the disc, the passes took awhile. I was honestly kinda shocked when they got stuck on that part for so long.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Yeah, that thing is the loading elevator Mass Effect 1 equivalent. My laptop can run the game decently well so I'm sure it was loaded in 2-3 seconds, not the time it takes for the scan to do one pass through. I think that's part of the reason I migrated my xbox save to pc because the load times are so much better. In any case, instead of hiding it with long corridor hallways ands other scanning nonsense, most of the time now they just pop a load screen. Or, they hide it behind doors that need to be hacked.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By boboblaw

Scan barely takes more then a second or two on PC. All that happens is Shepard walks slowly through the scanner. He doesn't stand there while it scans like in the quick look.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pweidman

@Brodehouse: Gotta agree with ya on that. I thought about this as well during all the load screens, albeit pretty darn efficient after Skyrim by comparison tbh, in Amalur. Time for new hardware, console wise at least, is upon us it seems.

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EToaster

Some of the Citadel sidequests are just annoying. Having to look around the entire Citadel for completely arbitrary panels to interact with, and having no indication of where they are is not a fun sidequest. No, it wasn't fun when Mass Effect 1 did it either, but at least in that one, there wasn't a specific order you had to do them in.

The spacebar is too busy. I keep standing up out of cover or vaulting over cover when I don't intend to and dying as a result. I really like the combat in this game other than that one thing.

Those are the only real nitpicks I can think of offhand.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DG991

@EToaster: Ah! Good point. The space bar is used entirely too much. I always dive awkwardly out of cover. And I can't find more than a few things on the citadel.

I didn't know it hide a load time, but that being said it seems like everything else loads so quickly that I am surprised they had to make this compromise. It just seemed odd and annoying to me even though it literally takes 1-2 seconds on the PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.