Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

I have only played Max Payne 3, will I enjoy this?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I finished Max Payne 3 this weekend, one of the best games this year. I however had not touched the original games, I was wondering whether Max Payne aged well and whether me only having played the new one will make me not be able to enjoy this one?

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Actually playing through the original Max Payne right now, going to finish Max Payne 2 as well before starting 3.

It's surprising to me how well Max Payne has aged. The bullet time mechanic works well, the story is gripping and save for a few annoying platforming segments it's definitely still a great game. Worth playing for sure. Just anticipate a bad save system if you're planning on playing it on a console. I'm playing it on PS3 myself (it was free on PS+) and it only autosaves at the beginning of a segment - there's no manual saving or checkpoints.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi
    @digitalsea87 You can pause and quick save. Well....at least on the Xbox version you can.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By yinstarrunner

The first max payne has aged... decently.

Max Payne 2 is still great, though.

If you're craving more bullet time, i recommend FEAR which remains amazing to this day.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valiantgrizzly

@Demoskinos: no such luck on the PS3 (well, emulated PS2) version, sadly.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

I haven't played MP1 in awhile, but it should hold up fine. MP2 certainly does.

Edit: And now I'm installing MP1. Might as well just run through the trilogy at this point. :P

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Captain_Insano

Play both, great games (that could be nostalgia talking though). The dream sequences the bomb crew talk about are lame, but not game breaking.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bell_End

if you have the time and the money then yeah, why not.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalBaofu

It has been a long while since I played 1 or 2, but I remember really enjoying them a lot. Definitely more than I did Max Payne 3. I like 3 ok, but I don't know....I just never had all that much fun playing it. I don't really know why.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Nentisys

If you are on the PC they have aged very well, not so much for consoles.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Winternet

Play them amazing games. They have aged well and gameplay wise they're still great.

fudge91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fudge91

Recently finished the first max payne aswell. The shooting and story still hold up pretty good, though the game does have some serious difficulty spikes so be prepared to quick save.... a lot. (seriously f**k the final mission)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi

@digitalsea87: Wow, that really sucks cause a few of the later levels are a little tough. =\

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
    RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

I played through Max Payne 1 recently on PS3, and it holds up more than well enough to play. I'd play them both on PC if I were you. Somehow I find ageing games easier to tolerate that way, and it will save you many control issues if you tend to be used to the new way MP3 controls. Max Payne 2 definitely holds up better than the first. The first kinda felt like a weird third person quake 2 mod somehow, in this day and age.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By D0tti

Every time I've gone back to play the MP1 or 2 I have never really been disappointed or anything like that. I feel like they both have aged well enough considering the first one is like 11 years old.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang I'm kinda in your shoes. I bought both games on steam and played about 3 hrs of 1 but I just couldn't wait to play 3 when it came out. Honestly I am shocked on how well they hold up. It does take a bit to get used too it but once you do it seems like a great game. Also the dialogue is incredible with such lines like
    "I don't know about angels, but fear is wha makes men grow wings". They play very different but like i said, just get use to it and you'll have a good time
    art_monkey79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By art_monkey79

You might as well play the first two games. It has been awhile since I touched them so I can't say if their worth your time or not. Though if you enjoyed the third one might be worth it to see where that game came from.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff

@Hizang: I think they still hold up to this day. They are 10 years old but the game play is outstanding and the story telling is phenomenal. Max Payne is top 3 favorite games ever made and you should play them, the PC versions. They are short so it won't take up much of your time, probably play through both of them in a weekend if you wanted. If you play them and beat them let me know, I'm curious as to what people think about Remedy games.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

One is extremely difficult to go back to. Two is significantly better.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I finished Max payne 1 and 2 last week. The writing and voice work is better than the majority of games today. Because it's story-telling is mainly done through comic book panels, presentation isn't really a problem.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max payne 1 &2 are fantastic, without a doubt worth playing. They hold up well. Definitely much funner than MP3.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sayishere

Its aged ok actually, im playing through it right now before i play Max payne 3. I remember playing 1 + 2 and being blown away at the time.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By korolev

Be aware that Max Payne 3 is quite different to Max Payne and Max Payne 2. Not so much mechanically (although it is), but in terms of writing and style. I like all three (actually prefer Max Payne 3's style and writing myself), but if you go back to play Max Payne, be aware of the following:

1) The Voice work is quite different. While Max in MP3 sounds grizzled and tired, there is some emotion and inflection in his voice and thoughts. In MP1, however, he sounds.... completely flat. There is absolutely zero emotion in 95% of his lines. It's like the voice actor is literally reading lines he doesn't care about off a script he doesn't like. He sounds bored. Go check some Youtube videos of Max's lines in MP1. He sounds like he's about to fall asleep most of the time.

2) The Writing in MP1 and MP2 is significantly more flowery and strange than in MP3. There are lines in MP3 that sound silly, but in MP1 and 2 some of the lines feel as if Max took a poetry writing course at the local community college. The lines aren't bad, but they're completely over-the-top and wouldn't be uttered or thought of by any sane human being. Yes, I'm saying Sam Lake is insane.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.