Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mega Man

Franchise »

The Mega Man (known in Japan as Rockman) franchise covers a large number of action games from the core series and several offshoots, including Mega Man X, Mega Man Battle Network, and even one-offs like Mega Man Soccer or Mega Man Battle & Chase.

The Big Mega Man Rundown, Part 2

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Part 2 of the big Mega Man rundown includes the other five games. No mystery there. This is probably the craziest back end because Mega Man games start popping up on other consoles all over the place. 

Mega Man 6 (released 1993)

Blizzard Man can dance
     Blizzard Man can dance
    Mega Man 6 feels like the game where Capcom finally decided that they were going to stop holding back on robot masters that reference other cultures or might appear to be playing to a stereotype. With that in mind they totally let loose and left no stone unturned coming up with some pretty questionable designs if you think too hard about it. It's justified by the story which involves an international robot tournament set up by the not-so-mysterious Mr. X. Basically Dr. Wily in a paper thin disguise hijacking robots from all over the world in an attempt to take over- again. When this game came out, I couldn't decide if it was surprising that Dr. Wily was still the last boss, or that it was just too hard to break from tradition. This game was alright, nothing too amazing or disappointing. It's solid if just a bit forgettable.

I remember it because it was the game where Rush was dropped in favor of strange armor that Mega Man put on to fly around and break blocks to access alternate routes and pick up E Tanks hidden away. I was about halfway through the game before I was okay with it, but I prefer Rush to funky armor. I was too young to put together Flame Man's middle eastern reference. What with a robot wearing a turban controlling an oil field in all. Tomahawk Man was more my speed. Plant Man was universally hated for being a dumb design. But my favorite from 6 was Blizzard Man, only because when he enters the boss lair, it looks like he's doing a little dance to the boss music. Plus he's got skis and turns into a rolling ball. If I had to place him on the map, I'd say . . . Canada? Yeah. Canada. Heh. 

Mega Man 7 (released 1995)

Mega Man's first game on the SNES turned out to be a pretty awkward thing. I bought it with my own hard earned money from doing chores around the house and took a long time to adjust to how big everything was on screen. Mega Man was a freaking giant compared to his sprite on the NES games. The Met enemies were freakish and sliding and jumping felt off. But after awhile it became easy enough and Mega Man 7 is a good enough game. The only thing I didn't really care for was how you only had access to four robot masters at a time. After you beat the first four, you did a weird half-time boss and then the other four came in. There are two parts of this game that drove me absolutely insane when I tried to beat it. Bass with his armor in Dr. Wily's castle and the lass boss. I thought I would never beat this game ever. It was insane to me that Wild Spring was the last boss' weakness because I really sucked at using it. However, Mega Man 7 has some of the most memorable music in the series. I love the robot master boss tune. It's my favorite boss fight music over all.  

Codename: Slinky Man
    My favorite robot master from this game is Spring Man. He's just so dumb he slips into some weird zone where he becomes awesome. Really, his battle animations sell it. One of this attacks involve jumping toward Mega Man, grabbing him, and then slamming him into the ceiling of the boss lair. Afterwards, he throws Mega Man aside like he's getting rid of a piece of garbage. It's so good. My friends just called him Slinky Man though. That's what we though his name was when we saw his picture before the game came out. Spring Man did not disappoint. A lot of bosses in Mega Man 7 have really good moves. Turbo Man gets his transformer on. Slash Man jumps around like a lunatic. Shade Man does his best Dracula performance and sucks Mega Man's . . . blood? Oil? Fluids? Whatever. I have to say that I didn't really care about Bass, but he's way better than doing a palette swap of Mega Man and calling him Evil Man or Doppleganger Man. 

Mega Man 8 (released 1996)

He's a blast *rimshot*
     He's a blast *rimshot*
    This is my least favorite Mega Man game ever. In fact, I hate this game a lot. I remember being so bummed that I couldn't play it when it first came out because it was on a PlayStation. The first time I was able to play it was when the Anniversary Collection came out. My excitement was quickly smashed under a barrage of terrible cut scenes, terrible voice acting and goddamn awful level design. Hey, if you like Dr. Light sounding like Elmer Fudd, that's fine. Mega Man sounded like a five year old trying to be deadly serious and I think that's what the whole problem with this game was. Mega Man 8 tried to take itself really, really seriously. And when you have a boss called Clown Man in the game, you've already shot yourself in the foot. I like to think this is where Capcom realized that Mega Man was a game that didn't modernize well. Thankfully they had the presence of mind to stop, where a series like Sonic the Hedgehog kept running into the wall of terrible games. The thing I hate most about this game was an ice sled section that came up in Frost Man's stage and another time in Dr. Wily's castle. I have not the words to express how much I hate the sled sequences in this game. URGH. 

This game also had some pretty terrible music with the exception of Astro Man's stage. Everything else is pretty forgettable. My favorite robot master in Mega Man 8 (because I forced myself to pick one) is Grenade Man. I like his design and the idea of a suicide robot built like a grenade . . . but he's really creepy. He's a masochist and loves to get hurt. And blown up. And shot. His voice samples don't help. But at least he looks cool. But yeah, Mega Man 8. Worst game in the series. I don't care about evil energy or Duo and it's a good thing they haven't shown up again. The less I see about this game, the better. 

Mega Man 9 (released 2008)

Best stage music ever! 
    Best stage music ever! 
    Mega Man 9 was an incredible surprise when it was first announced. I couldn't be more excited for the idea of making games in the style of older titles. Not every game needs to become 3D and be dominated by a next-gen brown color scheme. Making something simple in the style of an NES game for the year 2008 is a stroke of genius in my opinion. After all, do you need anything more from a Mega Man game other than navigate a stage, fight a boss, get a new power, and beat Dr. Wily? Not to mention Capcom has dozens of other Mega Man franchises where they can do things like Battle Network or the ZX series. It would be a fair claim to say that Mega Man 9 trades on nostalgia but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The catch, however, is that Mega Man 9 is sadistically hard. I mean it is really, really hard. Hard to the point of being obvious that they went out of their way to make this game stupidly hard. Mega Man games were tricky, but they were never this mean. If someone never played a Mega Man game and tried to get into 9, they would be totally put off. 

I like that they made this game but I think they went a little too overboard with the difficulty. The hardest game from the NES series I can think of is Mega Man 2 and it's nowhere near as tough as this game. As a slap in the face, they offer Easy Mode as downloadable content. Bad form. Still, there is a lot of awesome in this game. The music especially. I love Galaxy Man's theme and he's a pretty cool robot master too. He transforms into a UFO and drops Black Holes as bombs. Pretty sweet. Where's that Killstreak reward for Modern Warfare 2? Deploy Black Hole. Awesome. This game also did the impossible by introducing Splash Woman, the one and only female robot master. If this game came out when I was seven it would have blown my mind. Technically, woman ends with "man" so it still works in the spirit of the series. But that's probably splitting hairs or getting into an unnecessary debate on Mega Man ethics. Oh you laugh. I assure you, those people are out there. It's still great that this game exists. Awesome. 

Mega Man 10 (released 2010)

I really didn't expect Capcom to roll out Mega Man 10 as soon as they did. I'm surprised this game got made at all. Maybe it makes sense to round out the series and end on a solid number. This time they show mercy and tone down stupidly hard jumps and badly placed mini-bosses for more entertaining adventures. And if normal mode is still too tough, you don't have to buy easy mode to enjoy the game. At this point they've let loose and decided that any design is a good robot master design- Sheep Man included. This is one of my favorites. Probably just behind Mega Man 5. It doesn't really do anything new but the experience is fun. The robot masters all have great animations, and Nitro Man is cool on wheels. He can drive up the wall and deploy what looks like Metal Blades that roll all over the place. This game has a lot of great music and there aren't any lame cutscenes that leave a bad taste in your mouth like Mega Man 8. If you told me that I would still be playing Mega Man games in the year 2010, I wouldn't believe you. 

Zero to cool in sixty seconds 
    They had a lot of fun with the Dr. Wily fortress. The first stage is practically unforgettable the way they set it up and you get to meet a bunch of old friends if you've been playing this series from the beginning. However this game also has the easiest Dr. Wily fortress boss EVER. Period. Of all time. Crab Puncher is probably the easiest thing to kill ever. I beat it on my first try with half health and couldn't believe it. If you use it's weakness it goes down twice as fast. It's really surprising and refreshing at the same time. After fighting nine bosses in the last stage, it's unusual that they would give you a break with the Crab Puncher. 

After playing and beating Mega Man 10 I can say that I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Man 11 came out next year or two years from now. Once Capcom hits a stride with a series they will keep releasing games for it. Expect the Super Mega Man Collection (including games 1 to 10) sometime in the near future. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept going until they hit 20. In a few years, I might have to make another post adding on to the extra games they've released. 

As long as they're fun, I'll play them.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

Part 2 of the big Mega Man rundown includes the other five games. No mystery there. This is probably the craziest back end because Mega Man games start popping up on other consoles all over the place. 

Mega Man 6 (released 1993)

Blizzard Man can dance
     Blizzard Man can dance
    Mega Man 6 feels like the game where Capcom finally decided that they were going to stop holding back on robot masters that reference other cultures or might appear to be playing to a stereotype. With that in mind they totally let loose and left no stone unturned coming up with some pretty questionable designs if you think too hard about it. It's justified by the story which involves an international robot tournament set up by the not-so-mysterious Mr. X. Basically Dr. Wily in a paper thin disguise hijacking robots from all over the world in an attempt to take over- again. When this game came out, I couldn't decide if it was surprising that Dr. Wily was still the last boss, or that it was just too hard to break from tradition. This game was alright, nothing too amazing or disappointing. It's solid if just a bit forgettable.

I remember it because it was the game where Rush was dropped in favor of strange armor that Mega Man put on to fly around and break blocks to access alternate routes and pick up E Tanks hidden away. I was about halfway through the game before I was okay with it, but I prefer Rush to funky armor. I was too young to put together Flame Man's middle eastern reference. What with a robot wearing a turban controlling an oil field in all. Tomahawk Man was more my speed. Plant Man was universally hated for being a dumb design. But my favorite from 6 was Blizzard Man, only because when he enters the boss lair, it looks like he's doing a little dance to the boss music. Plus he's got skis and turns into a rolling ball. If I had to place him on the map, I'd say . . . Canada? Yeah. Canada. Heh. 

Mega Man 7 (released 1995)

Mega Man's first game on the SNES turned out to be a pretty awkward thing. I bought it with my own hard earned money from doing chores around the house and took a long time to adjust to how big everything was on screen. Mega Man was a freaking giant compared to his sprite on the NES games. The Met enemies were freakish and sliding and jumping felt off. But after awhile it became easy enough and Mega Man 7 is a good enough game. The only thing I didn't really care for was how you only had access to four robot masters at a time. After you beat the first four, you did a weird half-time boss and then the other four came in. There are two parts of this game that drove me absolutely insane when I tried to beat it. Bass with his armor in Dr. Wily's castle and the lass boss. I thought I would never beat this game ever. It was insane to me that Wild Spring was the last boss' weakness because I really sucked at using it. However, Mega Man 7 has some of the most memorable music in the series. I love the robot master boss tune. It's my favorite boss fight music over all.  

My favorite robot master from this game is Spring Man. He's just so dumb he slips into some weird zone where he becomes awesome. Really, his battle animations sell it. One of this attacks involve jumping toward Mega Man, grabbing him, and then slamming him into the ceiling of the boss lair. Afterwards, he throws Mega Man aside like he's getting rid of a piece of garbage. It's so good. My friends just called him Slinky Man though. That's what we though his name was when we saw his picture before the game came out. Spring Man did not disappoint. A lot of bosses in Mega Man 7 have really good moves. Turbo Man gets his transformer on. Slash Man jumps around like a lunatic. Shade Man does his best Dracula performance and sucks Mega Man's . . . blood? Oil? Fluids? Whatever. I have to say that I didn't really care about Bass, but he's way better than doing a palette swap of Mega Man and calling him Evil Man or Doppleganger Man. 

Mega Man 8 (released 1996)

He's a blast *rimshot*
     He's a blast *rimshot*
    This is my least favorite Mega Man game ever. In fact, I hate this game a lot. I remember being so bummed that I couldn't play it when it first came out because it was on a PlayStation. The first time I was able to play it was when the Anniversary Collection came out. My excitement was quickly smashed under a barrage of terrible cut scenes, terrible voice acting and goddamn awful level design. Hey, if you like Dr. Light sounding like Elmer Fudd, that's fine. Mega Man sounded like a five year old trying to be deadly serious and I think that's what the whole problem with this game was. Mega Man 8 tried to take itself really, really seriously. And when you have a boss called Clown Man in the game, you've already shot yourself in the foot. I like to think this is where Capcom realized that Mega Man was a game that didn't modernize well. Thankfully they had the presence of mind to stop, where a series like Sonic the Hedgehog kept running into the wall of terrible games. The thing I hate most about this game was an ice sled section that came up in Frost Man's stage and another time in Dr. Wily's castle. I have not the words to express how much I hate the sled sequences in this game. URGH. 

This game also had some pretty terrible music with the exception of Astro Man's stage. Everything else is pretty forgettable. My favorite robot master in Mega Man 8 (because I forced myself to pick one) is Grenade Man. I like his design and the idea of a suicide robot built like a grenade . . . but he's really creepy. He's a masochist and loves to get hurt. And blown up. And shot. His voice samples don't help. But at least he looks cool. But yeah, Mega Man 8. Worst game in the series. I don't care about evil energy or Duo and it's a good thing they haven't shown up again. The less I see about this game, the better. 

Mega Man 9 (released 2008)

Best stage music ever! 
    Best stage music ever! 
    Mega Man 9 was an incredible surprise when it was first announced. I couldn't be more excited for the idea of making games in the style of older titles. Not every game needs to become 3D and be dominated by a next-gen brown color scheme. Making something simple in the style of an NES game for the year 2008 is a stroke of genius in my opinion. After all, do you need anything more from a Mega Man game other than navigate a stage, fight a boss, get a new power, and beat Dr. Wily? Not to mention Capcom has dozens of other Mega Man franchises where they can do things like Battle Network or the ZX series. It would be a fair claim to say that Mega Man 9 trades on nostalgia but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The catch, however, is that Mega Man 9 is sadistically hard. I mean it is really, really hard. Hard to the point of being obvious that they went out of their way to make this game stupidly hard. Mega Man games were tricky, but they were never this mean. If someone never played a Mega Man game and tried to get into 9, they would be totally put off. 

I like that they made this game but I think they went a little too overboard with the difficulty. The hardest game from the NES series I can think of is Mega Man 2 and it's nowhere near as tough as this game. As a slap in the face, they offer Easy Mode as downloadable content. Bad form. Still, there is a lot of awesome in this game. The music especially. I love Galaxy Man's theme and he's a pretty cool robot master too. He transforms into a UFO and drops Black Holes as bombs. Pretty sweet. Where's that Killstreak reward for Modern Warfare 2? Deploy Black Hole. Awesome. This game also did the impossible by introducing Splash Woman, the one and only female robot master. If this game came out when I was seven it would have blown my mind. Technically, woman ends with "man" so it still works in the spirit of the series. But that's probably splitting hairs or getting into an unnecessary debate on Mega Man ethics. Oh you laugh. I assure you, those people are out there. It's still great that this game exists. Awesome. 

Mega Man 10 (released 2010)

I really didn't expect Capcom to roll out Mega Man 10 as soon as they did. I'm surprised this game got made at all. Maybe it makes sense to round out the series and end on a solid number. This time they show mercy and tone down stupidly hard jumps and badly placed mini-bosses for more entertaining adventures. And if normal mode is still too tough, you don't have to buy easy mode to enjoy the game. At this point they've let loose and decided that any design is a good robot master design- Sheep Man included. This is one of my favorites. Probably just behind Mega Man 5. It doesn't really do anything new but the experience is fun. The robot masters all have great animations, and Nitro Man is cool on wheels. He can drive up the wall and deploy what looks like Metal Blades that roll all over the place. This game has a lot of great music and there aren't any lame cutscenes that leave a bad taste in your mouth like Mega Man 8. If you told me that I would still be playing Mega Man games in the year 2010, I wouldn't believe you. 

They had a lot of fun with the Dr. Wily fortress. The first stage is practically unforgettable the way they set it up and you get to meet a bunch of old friends if you've been playing this series from the beginning. However this game also has the easiest Dr. Wily fortress boss EVER. Period. Of all time. Crab Puncher is probably the easiest thing to kill ever. I beat it on my first try with half health and couldn't believe it. If you use it's weakness it goes down twice as fast. It's really surprising and refreshing at the same time. After fighting nine bosses in the last stage, it's unusual that they would give you a break with the Crab Puncher. 

After playing and beating Mega Man 10 I can say that I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Man 11 came out next year or two years from now. Once Capcom hits a stride with a series they will keep releasing games for it. Expect the Super Mega Man Collection (including games 1 to 10) sometime in the near future. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept going until they hit 20. In a few years, I might have to make another post adding on to the extra games they've released. 

As long as they're fun, I'll play them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.