Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Megami Tensei

Franchise »

The Megami Tensei (女神転生) franchise covers all Megami Tensei games, be it Persona, DemiKids, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, etc. All Megami Tensei games share common themes, chief among them being interaction with demons through fighting, diplomacy, control, cooperation, or all four. "Megami Tensei" roughly translates to "Goddess Reincarnation."

Non Persona Games I Should Check Out?

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Hey guy!

I have enjoyed both P3 and P4 and am wondering what other non Persona Megami Tensei games are worth playing?
    I have heard good things about both Nocturne as well as the Digital Devil Saga games.
    Has anyone played those and what other games can you recommend from the franchise?
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Devil Survivor for the DS is pretty cool.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thehexeditor
    @rudeboy217:  Nocturne and Strange Journey are ruthless games. If you enjoyed Persona primarily for the story, watch out.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mutha3

@gakon5
    said:

" @rudeboy217: I've played Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 2, and the main thing I'd say about them is that they're much harder than either Persona 3 or 4, and I don't know that you'll get the same quality of storytelling from either of those games. It's my understanding that classically this is a somewhat hardcore RPG series. I played about 20 hours of DDS2 and maybe 5 hours of Nocturne before I gave up on each of them. Your decision would probably come down to your level of apprehension for RPGs. The experience is quite different from what you'll get out of Persona 3 and 4.
    Oh, and DDS2 has the worst layout for save points, which was what ultimately made me give up on it. I think I had to dungeon-crawl for 20 minutes, fight a boss (without a save point), then get sent to another area (still no save point), play for another 10 minutes and then get killed by a surprise encounter.
    "

Devil Summoner 2(1 is terrible stay away from it) sounds like it might be right up your alley. It has more of an emphasis on story-telling than DDS/Nocturne and its way more forgiving than those games. It also has an incredibly unique setting for a videogame(1920's Japan!).

Now lemme get the personal bias out of the way: I love SMT. Its, like, my favorite franchise in gaming. But they're not for anyone. Believe it or not, par the Devil Summoner games, the Persona ones are the most accesible. Yes, those 60+ hour rpgs.

Now wheter you'll derive enjoyment from these games depends how you view RPG style combat in the first place. Do you enjoy dungeon crawling and old-school difficulty? What aspects of 3/4 did you enjoy the most? Tell us more about what you're looking for, OP. There are a lot of SMT  games and they're all different.

@thehexeditor said:
    " @rudeboy217:  Nocturne and Strange Journey are ruthless games. If you enjoyed Persona primarily for the story, watch out. "

Nocturne? Sure. But SJ is one of the easier ones.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thehexeditor
    @mutha3 said:
    " But SJ is one of the easier ones. "
    That's like saying, "this nail you pound into your dick is one of the smaller ones"
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mutha3
    @thehexeditor said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    That's like saying, "this nail you pound into your dick is one of the smaller ones" "
    well.....yeah.....
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Thanks for the insight, everyone!

Also why the fuck is Devil Survivor so expensive on Amazon. Is that game hard to find or what?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria
    @mutha3 said:
    " @thehexeditor said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    That's like saying, "this nail you pound into your dick is one of the smaller ones" "
    well.....yeah..... "
    It's still easier than Etrian Odyssey 2-3.

I'm playing through SJ and EO3 right now.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

@rudeboy217:

the game came out in 2006 so it's through a third party

i recommend nocture(its got dante) or devil suvivor(if you have a DS)

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Gaff
    @rudeboy217 Atlus games tend to get a very limited run. For instance, the first run of Demons' Souls was about 100,000 for North America, which, go figure, almost sold out immediately (AFAIK).

It's annoying but it keeps Atlus in business, so I'm fine with that. (For more info, there's a wonderful interview with Aram on an Active Time Babble).

@animateria Defender + Immunize! Oh SHI-
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By benjaebe

To echo everyone here, Nocturne and Devil Survivor.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mutha3
    @animateria said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " @thehexeditor said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    well.....yeah..... "
    It's still easier than Etrian Odyssey 2-3.

I'm playing through SJ and EO3 right now.
    "
    True enough, but I've always considered EO pretty much part of the SMT family.

Especially if you consider the ending of the first one! that was pretty much Atlus nudging us all like "EH EH EH SEEM FAMILIAR TO YOU ? "
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Same question, few years later. Any other games users would recommend? Is SMT4 worth checking out as the most recent game in the franchise?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you play Persona baby, you don't go back.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By wwfundertaker

I enjoyed playing Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 but hated Nocturne. The stories are more darker (both in tone and visual style) than the Persona games.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I like SMT4 but I haven't finished it, I'm working on it and SMT:Devil Summoner:Soul Hackers. I think I like Soul Hackers a lot more because it's story is more interesting to follow and it's "90's we don't what the internet will be so here's cyberspace aesthetic is always fun." SMT4 seems to be more self referential to the series in general. Off the top of my head, it has a suit from Strange Journey, an AI that's voiced from Soul Hackers and looks a lot like an ethereal Nemissa.

Devil Survivor for 3DS was great. Although at the end game you can completely break almost every encounter, including the subsequent playthroughs (you can keep your high level demons for your next run.) Devil Survivor 2 was fun as well, it resembled the plot of the original but shook it up enough to be entertaining. It's definitely more challenging but I'm right at the last boss. Pretty sure I chose the hardest path and now must grind a bit or come up with better strategy.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

@nightriff said:

Same question, few years later. Any other games users would recommend? Is SMT4 worth checking out as the most recent game in the franchise?

It's good, and you don't need to have played any other games in the series to understand it, aside from a couple small references. It's definitely way shorter on the story than something like Persona, though.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Strangestories

Strange Journey is easy? What? That game only gets easier once you get Jihad, Big Bang, and Megidolaon at the very end of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.