Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

After the ending I have questions...and some complaints(Major Spoilers)

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

How many missions have you finished? Maybe you have only finished the first chapter.

Wajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ohdearaudrey: From what you're saying you havent finished the game yet.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeeGee

I do not advise anyone who hasn't gotten to the true ending of the game yet (the second one) to look at the spoiler sections of this post.

---------

You have not finished the game.

There are two chapters.

There are three endings. Two of them are about Big Boss, one is about Quiet.

There is a fourth ending that was cut from the game and is only available to view as a pieced together video made up of unfinished cut scenes mixed together with story board drawings and voice overs. This was included in the collectors edition, it was 30% finished before it was cut. This fourth ending is critical to many story points in the game and not having it actually be in the game is a fucking joke. There is literally entire crucial story plots that just don't come up again because Konami cut those missions. If you want to know what happens to these characters Eli, Psycho Mantis and the Metal Gear they stole, well, you better track down that video online because you will never find out in the game.

Oh, and if you are looking for specific cut scenes from the trailers, a good number of them are just straight up not in the game. Maybe they will be DLC? Maybe they were cut? Maybe they were just created to confuse us? Who knows, but scenes from the trailer such as Big Boss screaming in the ruins of a burning village and a group of child soldiers sitting on top of a tank just are not in the game.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm like on episode 7 and I'm not worried about spoilers, that's why I'm here. Reading what's been discussed in this thread is bumming me out.

OhDearAudrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OhDearAudrey

yes i have finished the game and watched episode 51, i have over 60 hours in the game i didn't just stop after episode 1 thanks. i watched the "secret" intro mission which answers who the guy in the bandages was and why quiet is mad at me, but none of the other questions. I was just looking for infolike oh thats is XXXX tape or, you get that tape from here etc

Mindkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mission 46 answers a lot of your questions, including the Zero voice credit. But I agree with your gripes. I think there's a good game here but it is stretched out and padded with lots of busy work. It's the worst Metal Gear game and the 10/10s are hard to understand.

Avatar image for thefantasticfillip
    TheFantasticFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ok, so I'll address your points then provide a general attempt to explain to you why I think this game is great.

1. Big boss -

Who is the guy in the bandages in the beginning?

The guy in bandages in the beginning is Big Boss.

Where is the custscene where the shrapnel in his head is really long, like it is growing. I never got that one.

I'm not sure what cutscene you are referring to. Are you talking about the one from the E3 2015 trailer? It might have been just made for that trailer. Your horn does grow, however, if you earn enough 'demon points' by killing people or researching nuclear technology.

It was said big boss left zeros group because of the led enfants project, however in one of the tapes big boss has no idea what cloning is and huey explains it to him

The best explanation for this is that this is always been how Kojima handles exposition. "Metal gear!?" "A Hind D!?" "Liquid Snake!?" "Shagohod?!" "Psychic Powers?!" etc... If you really want an answer, then Big Boss in this game is not Big Boss and perhaps something when wrong when they were implanting Big Boss's memories into him in regards to his overall understanding of LFT.

2. Eli

why does he call big boss dad, even though its revealed (in another tape ugh) that eli is not big bosses clone.

Eli is Big Boss's clone, but he is not Venom Snake's clone. Also, he probably just assumed they were lying to him since he knows he is Big Boss's clone/son and Venom is created to be a memetic clone of Big Boss, able to fool even Kaz.

Of all the places in the world why would the guy who is looking for big boss specifically just happen to be in Africa where we are on missions. sigh.

Does it matter, really? He just so happened to be in Africa. It's a coincidence, sure, but it's not outrageous that he be stationed there since the middle east/north africa are hotbeds of war activity.

If eli is a clone, how did he escape, it's said he was in a group of child soldiers but if he was a clone wouldn't cipher keep him for themselves, isn't that the point to keep a big boss for themselves through his clone?

He escaped, Cipher didn't let him go. Also, during that time Cipher was kind of a mess; Zero had a parasite eating his brains out, the AI were just starting to take over everything, and you had organizations like XOF going rogue. Im not sure Cipher kicked a door open and said "there you go, my boy, have at it."

What does he want revenge for?

He believes (erroneously) that Big Boss was complicit with his creation and gave him the inferior genes. He also hates him and Cipher for creating him with a "curse" as the successor of Big Boss.

3. Zero

Zero has a voice credit in the credits, where does he appear? I didn't get that tape or cutscene.

There's a tape where Zero meets with Big Boss and he meets with Skullface. That's where the credits come from.

If XOF was a group that splintered from cipher, how come after skullfaces death, XOF forces keep coming after me.

They still want you dead? Doesn't matter that they splintered from Cipher. Also, if you don't have Zero's tape, my next sentence is a spoiler. At this point the Patriot AI were in control of Cipher and wanted Big Boss dead. Zero, as a personal favor to Snake, creates the Phantom to draw their attention away from Big Boss. Snake and Zero are still ideological enemies, but Zero could never bring himself to outright kill Big Boss. The AI won't have such reservations. Perhaps after Skullface's death, XOF returned to the command of Cipher. Or maybe they are still following the wishes of their dead leader. But do you want the real, not Metal Gear answer? It's a videogame and they are challenging enemies that the creators decided to keep around.

4. Huey

he said in a tape he never got sahalanthropus to work, so how did skullface without Huey's help get it to work? I always assumed psychic boy was controlling it until skullface yelled "who is doing this" before the big fight, when man on fire and psychic boy appeared.

Psycho Mantis controls the movements, but he receives his input from the pilot via a sync connection. Little Liquid was piloting it, and Skullface was not aware that this was the case, so he was confused as to who was piloting the mech.

5. Quiet

What did quiet want revenge on big boss for

You light her on fire in the opening of the game. She took the parasite to not die, but it also was a curse on her because she could no longer speak. I'd be pretty pissed, too.

(also what an IDIOTIC premise, she cant wear clothes because she breathes through her skin and also takes water through her skin so that's why she rolls around in the water in a bikini, its ok there are story reasons)

OK that's your opinion.

6. Ocelot

This one is just personal i missed somewhere, why was ocelot here? Isnt the last time you see him on the plane over the lake in 3? when he is your enemy, now hes saving me from the hospital. I know it has something to do with them both being in zeroes group. It said they both left, but what happened that made them so buddy buddy after trying to kill each other in 3.

Ocelot and Snake are never enemies. In Metal Gear Solid 3, Ocelot is on your side. He is a US Philosopher agent codenamed ADAM that is under cover in Volgin's unit. He is the one who gets the real Philosopher's legacy and returns it to the United States. Ocelot and Snake form a friendly rivalry in MGS3, with Snake being the one who taught Ocelot the ropes about being a soldier ("the way you handle a gun, that's more a revolver technique" "decorations on a gun serve no combat purpose and should be avoided" etc....). He also showed Ocelot CQC and gave him some of his catchphrases (You're pretty good!). Ocelot even helps you in that game in the Volgin boss fight by throwing you ammo and health and the last meeting in that game between the two is actually rather friendly as Ocelot just wanted to try his skills against the man who had become something of a mentor to him.

After MGS3, Ocelot is the one who personally requests that Big Boss join the Patriots. They serve in that organization together and grow and even tighter bond. In MGS4 it is revealed that Ocelot idolized Big Boss, and that his goal for the entire series up to that point was to bring down the Patriots and bring Big Boss back to life.

As it applies to this game, Ocelot is in the hospital because he was under orders from Zero to protect Big Boss, and later, to help Venom Snake assume Big Boss's legend. He meets Big Boss at the hospital, gives him his new identity, then becomes the Phantom's right hand man to help him build his empire. This information is in the secret ending as well as the Zero tapes.

First however, i want to bitch, this is a bad metal gear game. From what i gathered nothing in this game effected anything in the existing MGS lore really before this game other than how the old man sniper from 3 was able to use photosynthesis.

Well, I disagree here. For one thing, it completely recontextualizes everything we knew about Big Boss and his "fall", and also sheds some considerable light on events of some later entries in the series. Also, it considerably altered how we see the "legend of Big Boss" with not just the ending but also the revelation that Big Boss had XOF's help during his most dangerous missions.

Where were my 4 themed boss fights? It could have been so easy to have 4 people with different parasite powers to fight then the man on fire / psychic boy then a huge battle with sahawhateverpus. Instead i just get a bunch of repetitive missions in the same 2 environments over and over and over and over. sure the gameplay was sound.

No contention with ya here, I wish the boss fights were better. But we haven't really had traditional MGS fights since 4; PW's fights were just against 4 prototype Metal Gear models.

But the gameplay is not why i play mgs tbh If you look at it objectively from only a gameplay perspective, this could have been literally any other war themed stealth game. Rescue this prisoner, get this intel, destroy this objective.

I think you're being rather reductionist here. The objectives themselves are pretty cookie-cutter, but the sheer depth of the gameplay is far away and above anything available in other war stealth games. You have four buddies each with upgradable stats and equipment, you have a meta-layer of base construction and management, you have tons of gun options, mods, gadgets, weapons, and all sorts of other tech to help out and approach the missions any way you want. You can go in in a tank, you can take a jeep, you can crawl, you can call in air strikes, you can go total stealth, you can blow up the coms tower, you can plan way ahead, set up your approach, and strike at night. You have an incredible depth of choices and options that few other games simply don't offer, plus, the enemy AI responds to your tactics so you have to constantly be changing in the late game.

Why were major story points revealed in cassette tapes mostly.

These are the exact same as codec conversations in the previous games, you can just also listen to them while doing other things this time.

Don't get me started on having to replay hard versions of missions i already completed to get more story (as a tip you can play any mission a few times and get the next story bit, but how many people knew that? why replay anything at all?) The first 10 hours were incredible, this is so awesome i thought. After that it was, ugh why am i still in the desert, i have to go BACK to that place?

This was also in Peace Walker, but I'm not gonna defend it. I agree that it isn't a good gameplay decision.

After hour 20, i didn't want to rescue anyone else, i just wanted more story, i wanted the metal gear game i expected. I wanted nano machines, i wanted epic battles with awesome music, i wanted twists and questions answered that just gave me more questions. I know ill get flamed by people with mgs tinted glasses on, but this was a bad metal gear game.

In this game you fight a giant Mecha that makes monkey sounds and has a whip that makes spikes launch out of the ground. Your main antagonist is a man who looks like a zombie leading a rogue arm of a global illuminati organization created by your old friend. This zombie man wants to tear the world apart with a parasite that targets and eliminates the English language. Oh, and these parasites also give you super powers and the ability to teleport and do all sorts of crazy shit. You can recruit a dog with an eye patch who will slit soldier's throats via a knife in his mouth. You can get a recording of a man suffering from diarrhea and play it in a porto-pottie and guards will not go near it. This is a game where you can shoot your rocket arm like a missile and punch people with it from yards away while Snake yells "ROCKET PUNCH!". In this game you also recruit a sniper that dresses like a stripper who is infected with those same parasites and she can turn invisible and run really fast. You also have to fight zombie Volgin who is on fire and riddled with bullets because he is so pissed at you he just can't die (also, thanks Psycho Mantis). And at the end of the day, you find out you aren't even playing as who you thought you were playing as and this man is just a soldier from MSF who was made to look just like Big Boss so that Big Boss could get the heat off his back while he gets the real shit done.

It may not be as much story but this game is pretty fucking Metal Gear.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TravisRex
    mrtaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Grixxel

I should have known there was a reason why Ishmael sounded exactly like Boss and why they ask you for your freaking name and all the plastic surgery bullshit. KOJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.