Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Physical PC-release, Steam key?

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I've finally decided to get the PC-version of TPP instead of PS4. Do we know if the physical version will include a steam key?

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Pretty sure I saw that it will. Comes with a disc and steam key

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gleasonryan: I did some looking around but couldn't find anything conclusive. Did Ground Zeroes have a physical release?
    Guessing Konami only use Steamworks nowadays?

DeeDota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@stuvning: I bought a physical copy of GZ and it did come with a steam key. Pretty sure it will be the same for TPP

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

Is there a physical release? I can't see anywhere that is selling a PC physical copy. Either way every version should have a Steam key, the game uses Steamworks for leaderboards and acheivements.

Rydemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

according to reports the physical pc copy is an 8mb file that sends you to steam to download it, so you can bet your shiny nickle it will have a steam code

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does anyone know what the download size is on pc? I know the system spec is like 25GB but I'm hoping the installer is compressed do steam games even do this I've never taken notice

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ivdamke

@ikilledthedj: Depends on the developer certain games get compressed and others don't.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

A bit off topic, but I had read previously that the game is meant to unlock for everyone when the New Zealand release time rocks round on Steam. Looking at the store page though, that doesn't make any sense. If that was true it would be unlocking today (August 31st) here in the UK at about 1pm. In actual fact, the store page says it's going to unlock 1 day and 8 hours from now - or 5pm on the 1st. I checked online and one site said that New Zealand rumour was false, but it should unlock at 5am in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea when it's releasing for real? I assume the timer on the Steam store is most accurate, but with no preload this is a fucking joke.

DanConroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard this tweet and the replies from their PR/twitter people seems to have some info regarding this https://twitter.com/Konami/status/637381419283562496

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@bollard: I was under the impression that they meant preloading would open up when the first release region hits Sept 1, but the time you can play it is based on your own region. I haven't really looked into it that much though.

EDIT: Apparently that's wrong based on Konami's replies to the tweet above.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: @danconroy: Thanks for the sort of clarification! Seems like Konami's own Twitter account can barely keep it's messaging straight. Looks like it's probably 5am though, could be worse.

DanConroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah no worries @bollard I was digging around last night trying to work out if I need to stay up late tonight or not for MGS :P

I don't really get why their using the steam countdown clock for preorder bonuses, very odd.

http://i.imgur.com/UUdGUgU.png

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bollard

@danconroy: I'm not sure that Konami rep actually knows what he's talking about :P

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By Jinoru
    BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BladedEdge

Lots and lots of people will be eagerly sitting at their desktop waiting for that steam page to change. Lot of 'ok i'll restart steam"...and I fear a lot of forum grumble after the "wait wtf its suppose to be unlocked and downloadable!' followed by "Well the store page timer is still going.." and..

So much information and confusion around this I guess we will see come midnight eastern tonight..or noon tomorrow on..um.

Actually that's odd. Looking at my own page on steam (i.e. the longer timer) it seems to be noon my time(CST)..which I can't recall, does steam update one time-zone at a time? I'm usually not -at- my computer (and have pre-loaded anything I care about so it doesn't matter) at noon on a Tuesday so uh..not sure.

As if not, that timers not tied into a global countdown what so ever (unless it is randomly central time, which makes little sense) but, as people say, my apparent ability to, what, pre-order?

Here's hoping the links going around (i.e. above) are the correct timer.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By stonyman65

From what I heard the physical copy is just a disc with a steam installer on it and a code. You'd be spending $60 for a box.

Looks like the steam version will unlock at 12AM EST Sep. 1st depending on your location.

I was getting all excited because I read the Konami rep saying that it would unlock Sep. 1st 12AM New Zealand time (which was like 3 hours ago my time) but I guess that turned out not to be true.

Wait a sec, management and communication issues at Konami?! WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?! * sarcasm *

Not to be cynical (okay, maybe a little), but the game isn't even out yet and Konami has already fucked something up. * rolls eyes *

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no physical version. The "physical version" just gives you a Steam installer and a code for MGSV.

BoZZ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah was the same for me when i bought dead island on disc and it was only a steam installer on it.

Have friends how this have happened to one another games to so i don't really think is something new.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

according to reports the physical pc copy is an 8mb file that sends you to steam to download it, so you can bet your shiny nickle it will have a steam code

See I just saw this. I'm not really up on physical releases is this the norm....

Rydemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@flameboy84: alot of pc titles have been like that for a while now, games install through steam most of the time some games have an offline instalation but I cant tell you for sure I havent bought a physical disc aside FFXIV in a loooooong time

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@rydemption said:

From what I heard the physical copy is just a disc with a steam installer on it and a code. You'd be spending $60 for a box.

If I had preordered this game, I'd be pissed because a.) Konami never communicated this fact, and b.) it would be too late to cancel my preorder (which would be on its way to my door already). While I'm fine with Steam activation, when I buy a physical copy of a game, I want it to install from disc. If a company is going to sell a retail/"physical" copy of a game that's just a Steam/Origin code, they need to be up front about this fact so customers find this out before they order. Finding this out when you put the disc in the drive is a nasty surprise that's sure to frustrate customers with slow connections and/or restrictive monthly data caps. Plus you've now got an open (unreturnable) copy of a PC game.

Since I didn't preorder this game, my options are:

• Just go with the PS4 version, so I get the full game on disc.
    • Wait for a price drop/sale on Steam, knowing that the download will take forever. (Supposedly 28GB.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.