Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Should I watch Metal Gear Scanlon V?

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Even though I haven't got it/played it yet? (Though I plan to get it soon)

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mirado

Depends on what you'd watching it for. If you're going into it because you like Drew and Dan and enjoy their banter and stories, than sure! Personally, I find MGSV a lot more boring to watch than to play, so I dropped out pretty fast.

You're dodging the biggest bullet though, which is nitpicking everything they do. Since you haven't played, you won't be bothered if Dan said something totally untrue about the game, or when Drew never uses any camo and keeps going out in broad daylight.

Bottom line is: you're paying for it, might as well watch the first one and give it a shot, as long as you don't mind seeing the story before you get a chance to experience it yourself.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Probably not. I think figuring out things on your own and trying whatever comes to mind is the best way to play this game. I know if I would have watched the series first, and even some of the way dan/drew play it rubbed off on me, I would have found it much less enjoyable.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similar question, so I don't really want to open a new thread.

If I don't really want to watch it all, but would like to see story stuff, and any particular highlights, is anyone planning on posting a guide as to what the must see parts of the run are?

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you plan on playing it then don't watch it until you've completed the game (or more than Drew).

I have no intentions to play any MGS game so I've just been going along for the ride, although I have gotten way behind in MGS 5 (last episode watched was 8 or 9). I think the open ended nature has made this video series a tad boring compared to the previous ones. That said, if you do plan to watch a bit before you play, it might just open up ideas for you to try a different approach on missions (if there are any) when you do start playing.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

If you like Dan just relentlessly talking about nothing in particular, go for it

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Anupsis

It seems like a decent way to hear dan and drew talk about random stuff, (sorta like a podcast) and as others have said you would not have as much of a frustrating time watching it. I stopped watching because after playing that game for 70 hours watching someone else play it is the LAST thing I want to do. Especially when dan is holding drew's hand and seemingly forcing him to play a certain way, saying "The riot smg is the best weapon in the game! I used it all the time" may not seem like forcing him but drew listens to advice and assumes after playing it for so long dan knows what he's talking about. The game TRULY shines when you just fuck around doing random stuff but that is lessened with dan there. So I guess I should say you should probably just wait and play it for yourself if you are planning to.

That was a longer answer then I thought it would be....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.