Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal: Hellsinger

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 15, 2022

Metal: Hellsinger is a rhythm-based first-person shooter developed by The Outsiders.

Metal Hellsinger is the 22nd selection of the UUGPGC! Completion date is 11/28/2022. Spoilers permitted!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

EDIT: Spoilers are open

Welcome to the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club. Our 22nd game is Inside. The target completion date is November 28, 2022.

We ask that until that date you use the forum software to mark any spoilers, either story based or mechanical, in the discussion below. Ideally the bulk of the discussion will occur after November 28, but if you want to comment before then you are welcome to so long as the spoilers are marked. We ask that if you leave a comment before that date you also come back to the thread after it to read other people’s comments and respond to them, though of course we cannot force you to do so.

All are welcome to participate regardless of whether you have stated a preference to or not and there is absolutely no commitment. You do not have to finish the game to participate but please let us know if you have not.

You can find out more about the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club or suggest future games for it here.

What is Metal Hellsinger?

An FPS heavily influenced by the recent Doom revival but with a rhythm game element.

How long is Metal Hellsinger?

How long to beat lists it as 4.5 hours long.

No Caption Provided
    ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Assuming things like “unlockable guns” and “featured artists on songs” are spoilers, I’ll save my thoughts on those until the spoiler embargo ends. Until that point, I really wish this game had a Neon White-esque quick restart on the bonus levels. I find myself getting super impatient when I’ve failed one, and several times I tried clicking through to restart but instead quit the mission.

I think I like this game more than Doom Eternal? It’s an inevitable point of comparison.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played this when it came out and liked it a lot. I'm not super into retro style shooters these days, but the music and rhythm aspect was more than enough to keep my interest. Still waiting for the soundtrack to go on spotify though.

Avatar image for charliefohammer
    CharlieFoHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game hit an absolute fever pitch for me around the second or third level, right around the time you unlock the third ranged weapon. Unfortunately, an enemy type introduced shortly thereafter really put me off of it. I still intend to push through at some point.

I appreciate how the animations of both the enemies and environment are “on beat” to help you keep the rhythm, but I still tend to dance (as in strafe slightly back and forth) as I move through combat to keep a decent streak. It works really well, especially on a gamepad.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sill got a ways to go, but I find I have to tap my foot to the beat in order to stay on rhythm. It's worth it to keep that combo up though - it's a glorious feeling when the vocals kick in.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

I love Doom and metal and rhythm games but man, I hated this game. Finished the first level and couldn't go on. I was absolutely terrible at it and constantly felt like I was hitting a wall with the gameplay.

If a big Doom: Eternal fight felt like a choreographed danced, me playing this game felt like QWOP.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat the final boss last night, albeit after reducing the difficulty to easy. I’m coming away from this game with a positive experience, and I think there’s a solid chance it ends up in my top 10 of the year. The best part of the game was its soundtrack, which is currently sitting near the top of my list of 2022 albums. I would be stunned if this game doesn’t get a sequel with a bigger budget, and I’ll looking forward to it for sure.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

So I didn't come close to finishing this, really only played the first true level (some real life stuff cropped up) but I think I really hate this game. Like viscerally loath it. I thought it would be for me because I like metal music (though not particularly THIS metal music) and I like the new Doom series, but everything the designers did just feels unpleasant to me.

For one thing I have a long history of liking rhythm games but not liking games that implement rhythm elements into other genres. It just feels like one too many things to keep track of and it comes off as annoying more than anything else. Oh you want me to jump around and fight stuff but also keep the beat? Why? That's stupid and unpleasant.

For another this gets rid of a ton of what I actually liked about the Doom games. There's no exploration or secrets to speak of, no real resource management except for life and beat (which isn't a resource), the enemies are super boring, the atmopshere is sterile, and the level design is bland.

Not only that but every area in the level is an endlessly boring arena with wave after wave of goons. So i addition to having to focus on the beat and moving ad shooting you just have dudes teleporting in behind you without good notification and also have no idea how many endless waves of mooks you'll have to deal with before you finally get to move on to the next boring area where they throw guys at you non-stop. This happens sometimes in Doom too, but those arenas tend to be designed for hypermobility and with lots of powerups and ammo and interactive elements to mess with. Taking most of those things away (there are the dumb exploring shard things) just leave you with monotony, and since I don't like the core game play it feels like actual torment to try and play this stuff.

Usually the way I deal with games I find boring in one way or another is by putting on a podcast or something, but haha this game requires you to focus on the beat so no escape!

I not only hate the game but I think I actually hate the people who made it. I've never met them and technically they didn't do anything wrong just by making a game that caters to other people's tastes, but I think that the the things we enjoy in games are so diametrically opposed that I would probably find it unbearable to spend any time around them.

"You know what's fun in games? When you beat the third wave of guys in a bland and boring arena and then you get to face a FOURTH wave of the same guys in the same bland boring arena! It's like doing homework but in a video game!"

If I'm doing annoying boring tasks over and over I want some real world benefit.

Anyway I'm glad some people really liked it and I'm glad I tried it for the pass, but I just am not in a place in my life where I'm going to force myself to finish games I really am not enjoying.

ETA: Oh and I forgot some of my least favorite parts! All of this and with no mid level saves (want to play a little and take a break? No can do! You have to finish all your homework assignment in one go!) and the decision to limit lives and use score to punish people who aren't really 'getting' the game to make the experience worse. Just a whole lot of "play the game the way we want!" energy, and boy do I dislike it. No mid-level saves is a MASSIVE no no in my opinion. Let me play for as long or as little as I like, I have other things going on in my life.

Hate!

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanted to play through more of this game than I did. Rhythm games are usually not my thing, but the music selection was so up my alley that I not only recognized, but actively listen to almost everyone in here (especially Tatiana from Jinjer!).

I was merrily headbanging my way through the levels, even doing all the bonus stuff - which is not typical for me in games - until the introduction of the ****ing shield enemies. Just an incredibly annoying obstacle that requires such specific tactics to take down that every time they showed up I instantly became annoyed. Their ability to block shots really threw me off my rhythm (literally!) so hard that it took me out of the experience completely. I haven't played Doom Eternal, but the comparisons are not encouraging.

Maybe one day I'll do like someone above and drop it down to easy, or maybe even use cheats, just to experience the soundtrack in the interactive way is was intended, but with so many games competing for our time these days, it's not likely - and that makes me sad.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Honestly, while I'd say that the first level or two did a poor job selling me on the game (aside from its music getting stuck in my head), you've probably identified all of the game's flaws that persist through the final boss. The bosses especially suffer from a lack of variety, even down to the soundtrack (until the end). If you didn't enjoy the bit you played, there's absolutely no reason to revisit it and torture yourself.

Maybe one day I'll do like someone above and drop it down to easy, or maybe even use cheats, just to experience the soundtrack in the interactive way is was intended, but with so many games competing for our time these days, it's not likely - and that makes me sad.

I bumped a couple challenges, and also the final level, down to easy just to not spend too much time on the game. I recommend at least mainlining to the final level, because the two best songs on the soundtrack are there, in my opinion. It warms my blackened heart to hear Serj still doing Serj things.

Oh and those stupid shield assholes? The Hellcrow weapon shreds them pretty well since it boomerangs into their exposed backs. If you hate using them, then you pretty much have to use a special attack, which is lame.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Thanks for the tips mate, I'll give it a go.

Sometimes I have weird misgivings about playing on 'easy' mode, but that of course is very silly - especially in a case like this, where the aesthetics are the real draw rather than the gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.