Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Modern Warfare = Business

Avatar image for jediknight00719
    jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 7

Edited By jediknight00719

I haven't blogged in a while but there have been following quite a bit of gaming issues that i feel i would like to voice my opinion on some of them.  Plus i love Giant bombs all in one deal for gamers (wiki database for game stuff, reviews, lists, forums and the big things Achievements, although i would like to see some PS3 trophy support). 

So the new Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package trailer just came out.  Looks great but what i'm here to talk about is whats all the fuss about with the price.  For people that don't know its $15.  This is new to many gamers.  DLC has always been in the $1-$10 area and the $10 area usually means quite a bit of content (like a whole 10 hours more of gameplay)  but $15 for 5 maps (which are probably small cause thats how modern warfare maps work).....wait your telling me two of them are from the first modern warfare  game?! THIS IS MADNESSS.  ACTIVISION SUCKS MW2 SUCKKKSSS. 

Ok lets tread back and define certain things.  Modern Warfare 2 has an interesting social community which consist of two types of people.  There are gamers and mw2 gamers.  Gamers are people that enjoy a variety type of games and enjoys their gaming with more than one game be that an action RPG, thriller adventure whatever it may be.  Then there are mw2 gamers.  Ever since the release of mw2 all they have played is modern warfare 2, they may have started playing some other game but found it to be not as fun as mw2 so they went back to playing mw2.  I'm not saying these people are bad people just saying this is how they enjoy games.  (although i will rant, one time bunch of friends of mine were playing one match where we lost and this one douche started saying "you clan SUCKS, all you guys sucks....for the whole intermission, i would like to say, at least all of us have lives outside of mw2.  ok end rant, those people are bad people)

Now that we have two different groups, lets see how they react to the pricing of mw2.  Gamers will look at this and cry outrage.  $15 for this type of content is insanely overpriced they will point all the faults of mw2, make some whitty Kotick/Activision remark or praise Bad Company 2 or Team Fortress (i like how many commenters do some stupid stuff like, "oh the maps look cool.....*goes back to playing bad company 2*" everytime i read this i roll my eyes, unfortunetely it leads me to get dizzy and crosseyed) .  Mw2 gamers will see this as more reason to play modern warfare 2.   

And this is the reason why its priced at $15.  Activision has obviously calculated how they can make the most profit out this.  And they have probably calculated that if 3 million people buy this pack for $15 as opposed to the 4 million that will buy it for $10 thats $45 million vs $40 million.  This has obviously been targeted to that mw2 gamer audience  that does not care about the price because they feel that with the amount of time they are going to play with the new pack (since they play 8 hours a day 7 days a week) is worth it.  And there are going to be people that restrain at first but when they see all their other firends playing it, will probably succumb to it. 

As gamers we know this is overpriced, but then this pack isn't really targeted to us.  From the actions Activision has made in the past year, they are not here to win the hearts of gamers, they are here to make money and lots of it. They really don't care about giving back to the commuinity.  Most of us will eventually buy the pack may it be peer pressure or that the price comes down low enough that we feel the money is justified.  And for those people that don't end up buying it and are enjoying another game, good for you, just don't start bitching when Activision makes another move like this....its all business.

jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jediknight00719

I haven't blogged in a while but there have been following quite a bit of gaming issues that i feel i would like to voice my opinion on some of them.  Plus i love Giant bombs all in one deal for gamers (wiki database for game stuff, reviews, lists, forums and the big things Achievements, although i would like to see some PS3 trophy support). 

So the new Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package trailer just came out.  Looks great but what i'm here to talk about is whats all the fuss about with the price.  For people that don't know its $15.  This is new to many gamers.  DLC has always been in the $1-$10 area and the $10 area usually means quite a bit of content (like a whole 10 hours more of gameplay)  but $15 for 5 maps (which are probably small cause thats how modern warfare maps work).....wait your telling me two of them are from the first modern warfare  game?! THIS IS MADNESSS.  ACTIVISION SUCKS MW2 SUCKKKSSS. 

Ok lets tread back and define certain things.  Modern Warfare 2 has an interesting social community which consist of two types of people.  There are gamers and mw2 gamers.  Gamers are people that enjoy a variety type of games and enjoys their gaming with more than one game be that an action RPG, thriller adventure whatever it may be.  Then there are mw2 gamers.  Ever since the release of mw2 all they have played is modern warfare 2, they may have started playing some other game but found it to be not as fun as mw2 so they went back to playing mw2.  I'm not saying these people are bad people just saying this is how they enjoy games.  (although i will rant, one time bunch of friends of mine were playing one match where we lost and this one douche started saying "you clan SUCKS, all you guys sucks....for the whole intermission, i would like to say, at least all of us have lives outside of mw2.  ok end rant, those people are bad people)

Now that we have two different groups, lets see how they react to the pricing of mw2.  Gamers will look at this and cry outrage.  $15 for this type of content is insanely overpriced they will point all the faults of mw2, make some whitty Kotick/Activision remark or praise Bad Company 2 or Team Fortress (i like how many commenters do some stupid stuff like, "oh the maps look cool.....*goes back to playing bad company 2*" everytime i read this i roll my eyes, unfortunetely it leads me to get dizzy and crosseyed) .  Mw2 gamers will see this as more reason to play modern warfare 2.   

And this is the reason why its priced at $15.  Activision has obviously calculated how they can make the most profit out this.  And they have probably calculated that if 3 million people buy this pack for $15 as opposed to the 4 million that will buy it for $10 thats $45 million vs $40 million.  This has obviously been targeted to that mw2 gamer audience  that does not care about the price because they feel that with the amount of time they are going to play with the new pack (since they play 8 hours a day 7 days a week) is worth it.  And there are going to be people that restrain at first but when they see all their other firends playing it, will probably succumb to it. 

As gamers we know this is overpriced, but then this pack isn't really targeted to us.  From the actions Activision has made in the past year, they are not here to win the hearts of gamers, they are here to make money and lots of it. They really don't care about giving back to the commuinity.  Most of us will eventually buy the pack may it be peer pressure or that the price comes down low enough that we feel the money is justified.  And for those people that don't end up buying it and are enjoying another game, good for you, just don't start bitching when Activision makes another move like this....its all business.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JDDrewes

This post seems a bit biased against MW2/Activision...... 
    but whatever. I have more games than MW2 to play but I have probably gotten the most entertainment out of MW2 than any other game that I have ever played. I played the campaign twice (which I pretty much never do) and I have sunk 50+ hours into the multiplayer. So therefore, since it is one of the most fun games that I have played, I consider it to be one of the best games that I have ever played. And I believe that $15 for 5 maps is completely justified (edit: for me at least), considering the amount of enjoyment that I will get out of them. 
    But I agree completely that I'm fucking sick of these guys that go on the MW2 forum, and simultaneously claim that they hate MW2, they don't care about MW2, that MW2 is somehow ruining other games, and how they don't even fucking own MW2. I swear, some of these guys spend more time bitching about MW2 on these forums than I actually play the fucking game.

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Satune

...I think that 70$ for Modern Warfare 2 is a rip off.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

i do also have a problem with a price. i kind of think that it is expensive for 5 maps and two of them were already on the first modern warfare.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By evanbrau
    @JDDrewes said:
    But I agree completely that I'm fucking sick of these guys that go on the MW2 forum, and simultaneously claim that they hate MW2, they don't care about MW2, that MW2 is somehow ruining other games, and how they don't even fucking own MW2. I swear, some of these guys spend more time bitching about MW2 on these forums than I actually play the fucking game.
    Yeah I can't understand these people doing this at all and if anything is said to them they get defensive and start blathering on about how its their right to come in and say how much the game sucks and how bad of a person you are for liking it.

As for the topic, yeah its just business and I will probably end up forking out for the maps. Gamers and pc players in particular should realise that business people have seen that gaming is lucrative and the days of getting free shit is over and no amount of "boycotting" (like that steam group about not playing MW2 over dedicated servers) or internet petitions will ever change this.
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GaspoweR

I've probably had enough of MW 2. I played the heck out of the 1st game, then played this one. It was fun while it lasted but in the end it just didn't feel as exciting as it once was... It sucked going up against people who had better pings and even worse, using imbalance weapon and perk combinations that would totally break the game and ruin the experience.   

Now given that I own the PC version, this doesn't affect me as much since as of now, the map packs aren't coming on the PC anyway. I do own a 360 though. Seeing that price tag somewhat ruined it for me. 3 new maps and 2 "possibly updated" old maps for 1200 MS point or $15 doesn't seem like a fair price. Compare this to what Epic did with their $15 Dark Corners pack for GOW 2, which includes 7 new  maps plus 1 deleted scene from the campaign. Shadow Complex, a great stand-alone XBLA game is also priced at $15.  

Activision is just being aggressive with their pricing and if this turns out well for them, everyone else follows. In the end, everyone would end up suffering for it and we would be seeing DLC or add-on prices for all the other games getting a bump in the future. To all the video  game enthusiasts who own the game and do not want this to happen, you should vote with your dollar. Don't buy it now and just wait till the price drops.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By conker

But I LIKE Crash :(
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By immike
    @GaspoweR: While this is true, the value of the maps justifies the price tag in the end (compared to how the Halo 3 maps were priced). They are not straight-out ripping people off like some people like to think. I do agree that if it happens that developers might jump on board, but, like I said, the value is the same (and a little cheaper) as the Halo 3 maps, but there are two more of them. 

This isn't directed at anyone, but I'm not sure why people don't seem to comprehend the fact that: More maps = More $ (regardless of remakes). Gears and Halo both had remakes.
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GaspoweR
    @immike:  I'm not sure how the Halo maps are priced though so I don't know if I should agree with you but for the mean time I'll take your word for it. People do know that they are making money off the map packs, regardless of remakes as you put it. Some consumers including those who don't frequent gaming sites just wish the prices could have been much cheaper or better adjusted. Heck, I think everyone would appreciate if prices were a lot cheaper.

I don't want to sound like a Nazi but I think when you mentioned the value of the maps, I think you meant their quality. Value is a ratio between the quality of the product to how cheap the product is priced. That's why when you buy a product that is on sale you are getting a better value. That's why I gave those two examples, Dark Corners and Shadow Complex, since they both were a great value.

In regards to IW, in the past they charged only 800 MS points for the map pack they had for COD 4, which had 4 maps, one of which was a remake of an old COD 2 map. IW should have probably added at least one more old map and 1200 points would be justifiable. I don't  think the quality of those 5 maps alone would justify the price. I also think there is a conflict of interest with Microsoft since products on the XBL marketplace are never priced the same as the point denominations your allowed to purchase (500, 1000, 2000). I just hope this doesn't become an ongoing trend.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By immike
    @GaspoweR: Yes, it is a known fact that people like cheaper prices, however, I still believe these people are misinformed about how the pricing is set at the moment. Activision, although mad with greed (yes I know, opinion), has priced the maps according to what seems justifiable while still getting away with some cash on the side. Fifteen dollars for maps sounds like a ripoff, but those that believe this disregard what they have been paying for the maps in the first place.  

I agree that value is determined by both quality and price, and I meant to say that, but failed to address it. Also, yes, Shadow Complex and Dark Corners are great values, but that doesn't mean that the Stimulus Pack is necessarily a bad deal. Compared to those two bargains, it just seems this way. 

In the end, I think people are paying way too much attention to the points. Customers are just accustomed to paying 800 dollars for maps whether they be four or three included in the DLC. Compared to the Halo 3 maps last time around, Infinity Ward gave players a little bonus by including four maps instead of three. This time around the pricing is a little more in between. I believe it is Activision's decision to price the maps at 1200, and Infinity Ward's decision to include as many maps as possible to make up for it.  

It's a shame, but it's definitely not a rip-off.  

Note: The MS points part is a whole different story that I don't really want to get into. Thanks for replying - I appreciated your well-put response.
    jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jediknight00719
    @JDDrewes:  Yeah there is probably a bias against Activision cause i personally don't like their business model of milking the crap out of franchises (since i'm a gamer)  and i feel really bad for IW (i hope the employees got their well deserved royalties).  i like mw2 but the point of the blog was to point out my perspective on the dlc pricing  (and form the look of the comments many others feel the same way).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.