Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Why all the hate? More importantly, why do you care?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Now, I didn't want to make a whole "LEAVE MW2 ALONE!!1 " thread, but I just want to know one simple thing, why do you care so much about this game? I can see why you hate, people have different opinions and I'm fine this that. Why do you hate it though? What did it do to you? Surely you can't say it was a letdown, because it wasn't. It was everything CoD4 except bigger and better, it did what it was supposed to do, whether you like it or not. From all the pre-release trailer of the killstreaks and everything, you knew there was going to be big killstreaks, the AC-130 was one they were showing off alot. You KNEW it was going to be waaaay over the top, and if you don't like that, why did you buy it? You had the knowledge, but you bought it, and insist on hating it. You could have read reviews, you could have done alot of things. No, you bought it so you could hate it. 

The real problem is though, everybody hates it because of Battlefield. Alright, I love BF games, love 'em to death, but you just can't compare them to CoD. They are two different franchises who, in my opinion, are both on top of their genre. If I want a tactical FPS, I know I can go play Battlefield and have a ton of fun. If I want an arcadey FPS, the same goes for Call of Duty. Why can't they co-exist in peace? Why do you care so much about who plays CoD and what price the map packs are? You don't have to buy them, you don't even have to play the game. 

I can say Mass Effect 2 is a shit game, I hate it in every way. I can say that there are so many things that need to be fixed, but you know what? It's not my style of game; I can't say what broken and what's right, I'm not into RPG's. That same goes for the CoD haters, if your not into the game, why waste your time? It just doesn't make sense. People can't enjoy Battlefield, they HAVE to say how much better it is than "X" game instead of how good of a game it is on its own and in the entire BF franchise. 

Now, why do I care what people think? I don't, but I want to have a thread in the MW2 forum that doesn't turn into people talking about how shit this game and how pwnz0r Battlefield is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's the internet, people enjoy shitting on popular things. Just ignore it.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Ace829

People don't hate the game. They hate the people that made it.

ChrisLoserkiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ChrisLoserkiD

OP: I totally agree.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ace829 said:
    " People don't hate the game. They hate the people that made it. "
    Which, to me, is completely stupid. I don't like Activision either, but I didn't buy the game because of the publisher or developer.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Thread made on this sort of thing all ready dude. "

That thread is not even close to my thread. I gave a good statement, not just a stupid question that you know the answer to already. 

Oh Lord, look at the second reply and you can even see what I'm talking about.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

COMING FROM A GUY WITH A 'ALWAYS ANGRY' NICKNAME 
     SHYEH ! 

just kidding.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ace829
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    Which, to me, is completely stupid. I don't like Activision either, but I didn't buy the game because of the publisher or developer. "
    Well you have to admit. IW had been shitting on their fanbase for a while so I'm not too surprised on the hate for it. They pissed off the PC gamers with the dedicated servers mess. They pissed off console gamers with the party chat gimping, gameplay exploits/glitches/bugs etc., and overpricing their map DLC. It's a decent game, but it the hype also contributed to the massive disappointment for this game.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ace829 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    Which, to me, is completely stupid. I don't like Activision either, but I didn't buy the game because of the publisher or developer. "
    Well you have to admit. IW had been shitting on their fanbase for a while so I'm not too surprised on the hate for it. They pissed off the PC gamers with the dedicated servers mess. They pissed off console gamers with the party chat gimping, gameplay exploits/glitches/bugs etc., and overpricing their map DLC. It's a decent game, but it the hype also contributed to the massive disappointment for this game. "
    And now another two lead people shorter.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PureRok

The real question: Why do you care?

Avatar image for deactivated-5add09f309aed
    deactivated-5add09f309aed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's something I've been asking myself as well. I don't play COD to death. Only play the campaign and specops (still got like 20 hrs of gameplay, so it was worth it)

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ace829 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    Well you have to admit. IW had been shitting on their fanbase for a while so I'm not too surprised on the hate for it. They pissed off the PC gamers with the dedicated servers mess. They pissed off console gamers with the party chat gimping, gameplay exploits/glitches/bugs etc., and overpricing their map DLC. It's a decent game, but it the hype also contributed to the massive disappointment for this game. "
    See, I don't know what people are talking about when they say bugs and glitches. Sure, there's a little bit of bugs, but I have yet to encounter a glitch. 

Glitch: A problem with the game that when found, it gives the player an unfair advantage over the other. I.e, under maps, etc. 
    Bug. A problem with the game that all players have to deal with. 

I wouldn't call one man army + noob tube a glitch, I honestly suck when I use the class. Sure, that spawns are a little fucked, but try not to die as much maybe?
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @PureRok said:
    " The real question: Why do you care? "
    I said that in my last sentence of the OP.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @PureRok said:
    I said that in my last sentence of the OP. "
    As if I actually read it.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @PureRok said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @PureRok said:
    As if I actually read it. "
    Ah, so you're a fanboy/troll who just replies with ignorant/hate comments. Carry on.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ace829
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    See, I don't know what people are talking about when they say bugs and glitches. Sure, there's a little bit of bugs, but I have yet to encounter a glitch.  Glitch: A problem with the game that when found, it gives the player an unfair advantage over the other. I.e, under maps, etc. Bug. A problem with the game that all players have to deal with.  I wouldn't call one man army + noob tube a glitch, I honestly suck when I use the class. Sure, that spawns are a little fucked, but try not to die as much maybe? "
    There were a few glitches like the Javelin glitch, the contagious infinite ammo glitch, and the snow level(forgot the name) glitch where you basically super jump. There are even websites dedicated to the glitches. Also, I just assumed bugs=glitches. My bad.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ace829 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @Ace829 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    See, I don't know what people are talking about when they say bugs and glitches. Sure, there's a little bit of bugs, but I have yet to encounter a glitch.  Glitch: A problem with the game that when found, it gives the player an unfair advantage over the other. I.e, under maps, etc. Bug. A problem with the game that all players have to deal with.  I wouldn't call one man army + noob tube a glitch, I honestly suck when I use the class. Sure, that spawns are a little fucked, but try not to die as much maybe? "
    There were a few glitches like the Javelin glitch, the contagious infinite ammo glitch, and the snow level(forgot the name) glitch where you basically super jump. There are even websites dedicated to the glitches. Also, I just assumed bugs=glitches. My bad. "
    Well, yeah, but to complain about things that have been patched is kind of stupid. Also, this game sold over 11 million day one, don't be surprised when there's glitches, ALOT of people were wanting to exploit this game.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By beargirl1
    @PureRok said:
    this. who cares if other people "hate it"
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @PureRok said:
    this. who cares if other people "hate it" "
    You didn't read my whole post, don't fucking comment.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tunaburn

dude, modern warfare 2 is not a balanced game. thats it. bottom line. thats why i quit playing it long before bad company 2 came out. i played modern warfare 1 for years. i even played the shit out of world at war. but this game is ass. i think its just retarded to have dudes running around holding a shotgun in each hand blasting people from across the damn map. i think its bullshit to have heartbeat sensors that can magically differeniate between an enemy heartbeat and an allies heartbeat. oh and dont get me started on the crazy noobtube damage on this fucking game..... oh and the kill streak overpowering bulllshit... oh and the superspeed knifing.... oh and how you are twice as fast while holding a care package making the knifing the best thing in the game..... i went 17 and 3 only knifing with the care package speed. the game is BROKEN!

p.s. the spawing is the worst i have ever seen in a game. EVER! only game you can go from 5 kills 1 death to 5 kills 7 deaths in 20 seconds

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By beargirl1
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " @PureRok said:
    You didn't read my whole post, don't fucking comment. "
    i did and all i got out of it was "why do people hate MW2" 
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By 234r2we232

It's a great multiplayer game, shame the community kinda ruins it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " @PureRok said:
    You didn't read my whole post, don't fucking comment. "
    i did and all i got out of it was "why do people hate MW2"  "
    @OP. Your not allowed to be mean Raz on these forums! Shame on you!
    baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By baconbits33
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @PureRok said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @PureRok said:
    As if I actually read it. "
    Ah, so you're a fanboy/troll who just replies with ignorant/hate comments. Carry on. "
    I can't help but debate with myself..... if your actually the troll. 

Anyways.... who cares? If someone hates a game that you like then just ignore them, don't whine about it or make a big deal about it. And in your past two posts all you've managed to actually do is just hate on BF and praise MW2. Then you go and make a big deal out of freaking nothing, so what if people hate MW2? So what if they're very outspoken about it? Does it interfere with your life? Does it with hold you from actually enjoying the game? It doesn't matter,  you shouldn't think to much into other peoples opinions about what they like. 
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ace829
    @AlwaysAngry:  It's still not a good excuse though. There shouldn't have been any glitches in the first place. They're releasing one of the most hyped shooters in the history of video games. When Halo 3 came out I don't remember there being this many problems with it. 
    BTW, here's a list of reasons why BC2 has the love of many Giant Bombers here over MW2.
    1.) Free maps compared to $15 maps.
    2.)DICE's PR team doing an excellent job of looking like the good guy in response to IW's horrible PR decisions.
    3.)Many players are growing worn of the lone wolf attitude that is rampant in online shooters. Teamwork to many is a breath of fresh air.
    4.)BC2 had dedicated servers unlike MW2.
    5.)MW2 is a popular game so of course people are gonna hate on it. That's just how it is in almost any forum.

Edit: Guys please don't derail the thread by accusing each other of being trolls. Thanks.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @tunaburn said:
    " dude, modern warfare 2 is not a balanced game. thats it. bottom line. thats why i quit playing it long before bad company 2 came out. i played modern warfare 1 for years. i even played the shit out of world at war. but this game is ass. i think its just retarded to have dudes running around holding a shotgun in each hand blasting people from across the damn map. i think its bullshit to have heartbeat sensors that can magically differeniate between an enemy heartbeat and an allies heartbeat. oh and dont get me started on the crazy noobtube damage on this fucking game..... oh and the kill streak overpowering bulllshit... oh and the superspeed knifing.... oh and how you are twice as fast while holding a care package making the knifing the best thing in the game..... i went 17 and 3 only knifing with the care package speed. the game is BROKEN! "
    Care packaged has been patched, shotguns have been patched, and you can use ninja perk to avoid heart-beat sensors. 

By saying that you don't want heart-beat sensors to show who's the enemy and not, your saying you want realism over fun.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ace829 said:

" @AlwaysAngry:  3.)Many players are growing worn of the lone wolf attitude that is rampant in online shooters. Teamwork to many is a breath of fresh air.

To you maybe, but people have different opinions. It would be nice for the community to just get along and not bash people opinions. 

@baconbits33: Yeah, you know why? Because every other thread is saying about how great Battlefield is and how shit Call of Duty is. What so wrong with saying, "Hey, I don't think Battlefield is the second coming of Christ, and Call of Duty isn't as bad as people make it out to be." I actually like to play Battlefield games more than Call of Duty games really.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AltonBrown
    @AlwaysAngry:
    No Caption Provided
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ace829
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:

" @AlwaysAngry:  3.)Many players are growing worn of the lone wolf attitude that is rampant in online shooters. Teamwork to many is a breath of fresh air.

To you maybe, but people have different opinions. It would be nice for the community to just get along and not bash people opinions.
    Well that's why I said "to many people".       :/
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ace829 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ace829 said:

Well that's why I said "to many people".       :/ "
    ...I stand corrected.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your thread has a slight twist. But in the end Ajay is right and this is the same thread we've all seen before.

And before you accuse me of not reading, realize I did read your whole post and my answer is that I don't care. I'm perfectly capable of playing more than one online Shooter.

Dyermaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Dyermaker

Hate is a strong word, but personally I didn't like it much because of its lack of uniqueness.  I found basically nothing about it that said "this is the online team based first person shooter I should be playing".  After a grand total of 8 hours of gameplay, I found myself uninstalling it and loading up counter strike.  It had nothing to do with dedicated servers either, I prefer matchmaking, due to how quickly and easily you can get a game with a group of friends and automatically be on the same team.  

Personally I just don't think a truly great CoD game has been released since CoD2.  After the sloppy console ports of CoD2, they seemed to notice there was a market for the series, then started pumping out a nearly identical game with a mild graphics upgrade every year like it was a sports franchaise.

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PDC_Emulator
    @AlwaysAngry:  Internet toughguy?
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @PDC_Emulator: No thanks, you? 

@Dyermaker said:
    " Hate is a strong word, but personally I didn't like it much because of its lack of uniqueness.  I found basically nothing about it that said "this is the online team based first person shooter I should be playing".  After a grand total of 8 hours of gameplay, I found myself uninstalling it and loading up counter strike.  It had nothing to do with dedicated servers either, I prefer matchmaking, due to how quickly and easily you can get a game with a group of friends and automatically be on the same team.    Personally I just don't think a truly great CoD game has been released since CoD2.  After the sloppy console ports of CoD2, they seemed to notice there was a market for the series, then started pumping out a nearly identical game with a mild graphics upgrade every year like it was a sports franchaise. "
    That's entirely understandable.
    Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

i think people dislike it because it is so over hyped and it steals the thunder of a lot of other games out there. and its always annoying to here about one game over and over again. especially since that game came out last year. idk. i dont hate the game. but i sure as cuss dont love it.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ClownDetective

There's nothing wrong with people hating it or loving it. Complaining that people voice their opinions on a discussion board is kind of silly though.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kishan6
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    "  If I want a tactical FPS, I know I can go play Battlefield and have a ton of fun. "
    I assume ur talking about bc2... in which case bad company 2 is NOT tactical. more so than call of duty but thats not a  evry high standard
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @kishan6 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    "  If I want a tactical FPS, I know I can go play Battlefield and have a ton of fun. "
    I assume ur talking about bc2... in which case bad company 2 is NOT tactical. more so than call of duty but thats not a  evry high standard "
    It is tactical. It's not CSS, but it's still tactical.
    Roflwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Roflwaffles

Apparently it's the cool thing to do now, but no one actually hates Modern Warfare 2. One may say that he/she does or even convince him/herself that the game is awful, but deep down everyone loves this game.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alexander

It's like with girls; the really hot one gets flak from the ugly ones.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

Well, the game's kinda unbalanced with the kill streaks. Some of them are too ridiculous, and it's hard to counter a great deal of them. NThe whole nuke idea was kinda silly, and kinda waters down the impact of COD4's use of the nuke. It happened once. It was tasteful. 

Also yeah, the mad amount of people exploiting glitches in the game, matchmaking issues, the fact that it doesn't reward any actual teamwork makes the team gameplay modes fucked up deathorgies, the large ratio of annoying little children, the lack of party chat in a bunch of game modes, and finally how difficult it is to get into a match with friends. 

After a while... enough is enough. MW2 is proof positive that a sequel doesn't need to complicate everything. Look at MvC2, versus a normal Street Fighter game for example. They just threw anything they could into MvC, with no regard to balance (at least it was intentional though). 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#43  Edited By the8bitNacho

I don't really understand it either.  Everyone here seems to hate anything popular (the iPad, the iPhone, MW2, FFXIII).

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @CitizenKane said:

"
    *Pic removed because it was stupid* "

Damnit damnit damnit!!!! I don't care what you think of MW2, just keep pointless flaming off the MW2 board. Your a MOD, shouldn't that be your job, eh?
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By j_drace

One of the main reasons people hate it is the same reason they hate HALO, it's so popular that it's become  "cool" to hate on.  Even with those people bashing the game they probably still hate it.  Then there will always be the other reason, people hate it because they are not very good at the game so then the killstreaks and what not really start to piss them off.  Sure the map pack is way overpriced and Activision is a shit company, but you can't deny the fact that MW2 is an excellent game.  You have to understand what a game in order to know what to get out of it.  The game isn't geared towards being tactical so people should stop comparing it to BC2.  There are very few tactical games that actually achieve what they set out to do, which is to get everyone to play tactical in order to be good at the game.  Unfortunately that requires some intelligence, which a lot of people seem to lack.  There is nothing worse than playing a tactical game and the majority of your teammates don't have a mic, don't know how to use it, and play like they are playing COD.  This happens in every tactical shooter from CS to BC to MAG.  It's like in HALO when you're playing a team slayer match and you have three random players on your team and then the other team has each player in a party together and they attack from all angles and steamroll you.  The fact that people make these threads is useless.  Most probably don't know what they want to accomplish with it and even if you do know, you know that you won't accomplish your goal.  It seems like you're trying to start nerd rage fights because you knew exactly what would happen.  I believe that you do care otherwise you would not go to great lengths to post the thread and continue to be active in it.  I responded to this thread because I care about people making pointless threads like this not because I give two shits about someone not liking COD.  They don't like it because it's popular and they think they're rebels, they suck at it, they don't understand what type of game it is, they are disappointed that the game didn't fix all of their little gripes or didn't turn out how they wanted it to even though they knew damn well how it was going to be, they don't respect a video game for what it is and hate it because it isn't what they want it to be, and because of that they don't respect others opinions.  It's like saying MGS sucks because you aren't into stealth games.  It doesn't suck you just don't like that.   That's the way people are.  You aren't going to change human nature and you already knew all the answers to your own questions and yet you posted this thread.  Just block the people out and let them be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.