Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 23, 2009

Considered the definitive second generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite includes all the content present in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and adds hundreds of new weapons, items, armor, and quests.

Is this game online enabled?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was looking to get this game but is it online enabled? Or do I have to get some friends to purchase this also, I heard about some adhocparty feature but was only released in Japan I believe, any help on this would be appreciated.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

Uh, alright I may not be correct about this but I believe it is / was LAN only. Now I also believe I heard something on a recent Bombcast saying the Adhocparty thing was coming to the West that would allow online with Monster Hunter.  

Hope I've helped. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DanielJW said:
    " Uh, alright I may not be correct about this but I believe it is / was LAN only. Now I also believe I heard something on a recent Bombcast saying the Adhocparty thing was coming to the West that would allow online with Monster Hunter.   Hope I've helped.  "
    Yeah you did thanks man, but do you remember which podcast this was on?
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By DanielJW
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    " Uh, alright I may not be correct about this but I believe it is / was LAN only. Now I also believe I heard something on a recent Bombcast saying the Adhocparty thing was coming to the West that would allow online with Monster Hunter.   Hope I've helped.  "
    Yeah you did thanks man, but do you remember which podcast this was on? "
    This is confusing for me, because I'm slowly working my way through the Bombcast back catalog, and I'm pretty much one year behind exactly. :P  

So either it was this weeks Bombcast, or one from November of 2008. At least I've narrowed it down for you! :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DanielJW said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    This is confusing for me, because I'm slowly working my way through the Bombcast back catalog, and I'm pretty much one year behind exactly. :P   So either it was this weeks Bombcast, or one from November of 2008. At least I've narrowed it down for you! :) "
    Haha ok thanks again, I looked up on it and adhocParty is supposed to launch this month sometime.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    This is confusing for me, because I'm slowly working my way through the Bombcast back catalog, and I'm pretty much one year behind exactly. :P   So either it was this weeks Bombcast, or one from November of 2008. At least I've narrowed it down for you! :) "
    It was this week's podcast.

Just google 'Adhoc Party' though.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Bucketdeth: Ok duder, heres how it works:

Monster hunter freedom unite only supports LAN, so you can only play with friends in the same room.

That being said, there are 2 workarounds; Adhoc party which you heard about, is by far the easiest one, and Xlink Kai, which is extremely tricky and might require additional software.

So adhoc party is actually out in english this week! so you picked a great time to ask haha. Of course, you can only use adhoc party if you also own a PS3, basically you make sure your PS3 is connected to the internet by a wired connection, and turn on adhoc party, go into the online lobby in the game, and sync the psp with adhoc party, then you can play with people regardless of their location, as long as they each have adhoc party running.

Also you can have more than one person connected to one ps3, I occasionally play with 2 of my friends on the other side of the city, and they play from the same ps3, and I play using mine. Also with the built in headset support, you can chat while playing which is great.

ALSO: I should mention, try the demo of MHF:U first, the demo is terrible and not a great representation of the games best features, but it gives you a sense of the core gamestyle, if you don't like it, then don't get the game. I'll assume you have tried or played a previous game though, so its a non-issue. 

Now, I gotta say, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is amazing, it has easily over 500 hours worth of content, and is challenging and super rewarding! There are hundreds probably thousands of weapons and armor pieces in the game, plus tons of dragons and monsters to fight, way more than any of the other games. If you like the games, its a must play for sure!

Of course, its not as fun without friends, so try and get at least one buddy to play it with ya, the more the better, and there is always online, and giantbomb friends willing to play, but playing with friends is what makes it amazing.

Also, xlink kai requires a wireless router or dongle for your pc, and its very selective about which brands and types will work, so chances are you don't have one, but it functions basically the same way, just requiring more work, but you don't need a ps3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xeiphyer said:
    " @Bucketdeth: Ok duder, heres how it works:  Monster hunter freedom unite only supports LAN, so you can only play with friends in the same room.  That being said, there are 2 workarounds; Adhoc party which you heard about, is by far the easiest one, and Xlink Kai, which is extremely tricky and might require additional software.  So adhoc party is actually out in english this week! so you picked a great time to ask haha. Of course, you can only use adhoc party if you also own a PS3, basically you make sure your PS3 is connected to the internet by a wired connection, and turn on adhoc party, go into the online lobby in the game, and sync the psp with adhoc party, then you can play with people regardless of their location, as long as they each have adhoc party running.  Also you can have more than one person connected to one ps3, I occasionally play with 2 of my friends on the other side of the city, and they play from the same ps3, and I play using mine. Also with the built in headset support, you can chat while playing which is great.  ALSO: I should mention, try the demo of MHF:U first, the demo is terrible and not a great representation of the games best features, but it gives you a sense of the core gamestyle, if you don't like it, then don't get the game. I'll assume you have tried or played a previous game though, so its a non-issue.   Now, I gotta say, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is amazing, it has easily over 500 hours worth of content, and is challenging and super rewarding! There are hundreds probably thousands of weapons and armor pieces in the game, plus tons of dragons and monsters to fight, way more than any of the other games. If you like the games, its a must play for sure!  Of course, its not as fun without friends, so try and get at least one buddy to play it with ya, the more the better, and there is always online, and giantbomb friends willing to play, but playing with friends is what makes it amazing.  Also, xlink kai requires a wireless router or dongle for your pc, and its very selective about which brands and types will work, so chances are you don't have one, but it functions basically the same way, just requiring more work, but you don't need a ps3. "
    Thanks for all the information man this helped a ton, the only question I have now is where is Adhoc Party? Do I have to download it? someone told me it was out in the North American PSN since last thursday but I can't see it anywhere, I'm on a Canadian PSN account if that makes a difference.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Bucketdeth: I'm Canadian too, and its in the PSN store still =P Just go into new releases and look, I remember it being in the first row even, its green if that helps :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.