Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 01, 2010

The fourth Monster Hunter game on PSP evolves the series by building on the best features from previous series entries, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for PSP and Monster Hunter Tri for Wii.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd weapon updates.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By animateria

Sword & Shield

-- A new shield-based attack called Back Knuckle can be chained together with the basic shield strike. Both melee moves damage the target's stamina level.

Dual Swords

-- This weapon now grants you a demonic combo meter that fills up as you land attacks while in demon mode. When it's full, you can unleash it to give yourself extra attack and evasion bonuses.

Greatsword

-- Not much new was revealed about this weapon, although apparently charged strikes are going to be a great deal more powerful than before.

Longsword

-- There's a new horizontal slice-and-step move revealed, as well as a new fourth move in Sweeping Slice combos that spins you around and affects all monsters in the local area.

Switch Axe

-- Two new phials -- poison, and a stamina reducer -- can be applied to your weapon. 

Hammer

-- All hammer attacks now drain stamina from monsters. You can also dizzy them by attacking their heads.

Hunting Horn

-- The hammer's musical cousin has been revised a bit so that attacking and playing melodies now both work under the same system. Every time you attack, notes fill up a gauge at the top of the screen; after you have enough, you can play the melody to earn assorted effects. You can also play the same melody in quick succession with the right button inputs, letting you power yourself up that much more quickly. Also, there's a new attack that strikes in front of and behind your hunter simultaneously.

Lance

-- There's a new move where you charge forward while still guarding, as well as a new counterattack which you can launch while guarding or after certain attacks.

Gun Lance

-- A quick-reload move is now available after attack, letting you load your gun with one bolt. This move can be combo'd together with others to unleash Full Burst, which fires your full arsenal at once.

Light Bowgun

-- You can now sidestep or dodge forward after attack. Up to two dodge moves can be executed after attack, such as backstep-to-sidestep.

Heavy Bowgun

-- Close range attacks are now melee-based, and you also have a new crouch-and-fire move that cuts down reload time and is chainable, but makes you immobile during the attack.

Bow

-- Three different types of charged attacks are available for this weapon now, including scatter and explosive shots.

Honestly as a Greatsword, Long Sword and Hammer user, the changes are fairly minimal to me. Though I like the idea of the charge attack for the GS doing extra damage. 

It seems like they are going to be implementing the Monster Stamina gauge from Tri, which is a welcome change. The hammer got even more useful than just throwing down 1 or 2 K.O.s now thanks to it doing stamina drain on the monsters. 

I'm not a heavy Lance or Gun Lance user (Unless it's a god damn Plessy!) but the quick reload for the GL sounds pretty sweet.  

I know this franchise isn't the most popular on GB, but hey I'm always up for a hunt (I killed an Alatreon in Tri which concluded my efforts in that game. Last boss afterall. Though I guess I didn't kill a Deviljo yet...) . I just hope there's more options to play online than just Adhoc Party this time around.

BONUS!

Seems like a cross between Animal Crossing, Patapon, and a Mario Party game... Actually seems pretty interesting.
    enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By enai

Yo bro, these scans went up a while back from Famitsu - http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mckrongs/July_14_2010_-_New_Famitsu_MHP3_Scans!    Thought they might interest you and this seemed a better thread to stick them in!  
    Is that the same long sword move in Tri, the final sweeping combo which sheaths your sword? I hope so.  
    I'm happy for the new slice n' step move though, it's saved me quite a few times.  

p.s. do you think the GS charged attack will have to be timed like in Tri to get the most damage? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.