Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter

Franchise »

One of Capcom's flagship franchises, Monster Hunter is a wildly successful action RPG franchise where the player hunts giant monsters of a variety of types across different zones and with a wide range of weaponry.

Monster Hunter MMO Trailer

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Patrick likes Monster Hunter and has also expressed an interest in an MMO that would have real-time action. Well here's the two together:

This is being developed by a Chinese company (I think) and I'm not sure if there'll ever be an English version.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So, the Chinese get a Monster Hunter made on CryEngine 3, but everyone else just gets 3DS looking games?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

It's basically Monster Hunter 1 redone with HD graphics?

Also the idea of waiting around for 20 minutes for your turn at the next Kut-Ku to spawn because you have 100 other people farming him doesn't sound appealing at all. Nor does having 20 people beating on a single monster. The game is already pretty easy with four people.

EDIT: Also Chinese Monster Hunter MMO immediately makes me worry that all armor and weapon crafting will be done through real-money microtransactions like every other Chinese MMO ever.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By confusedowl

There is an official MH online game already called Monster Hunter Frontier. it's Japanese only though. This still looks pretty amazing.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monster Hunter Frontier is only an MMO in lobbies. It's still instanced areas you play with four players max. It's better to compare MHF with something more along the lines of PSO.

This looks to turn those instanced areas into zones with no player cap, which I just don't see working with the way Monster Hunter is designed.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

That actually looks pretty good.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the idea of waiting around for 20 minutes for your turn at the next Kut-Ku to spawn because you have 100 other people farming him doesn't sound appealing at all. Nor does having 20 people beating on a single monster. The game is already pretty easy with four people.

EDIT: Also Chinese Monster Hunter MMO immediately makes me worry that all armor and weapon crafting will be done through real-money microtransactions like every other Chinese MMO ever.

Is that really information you have or just speculation? I can't imagine that you will have to wait for people to kill the monster so you can kill it again. And I think 20 people doesn't work on every monster.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is one pretty looking Monster Hunter

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@raineko said:

@morbid_coffee said:

Is that really information you have or just speculation? I can't imagine that you will have to wait for people to kill the monster so you can kill it again. And I think 20 people doesn't work on every monster.

It's all my own speculation at this point based off the end that showed about 15-20 hunters all in an area that clearly wasn't the main hub town.

But if it's not a traditional MMO with Monster Hunter gameplay, then I don't see a reason for this to exist when MHF already does and still being updated.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

Monster Hunter MMO already exists, its called Frontier. That one can only be played in Japan. <-EDIT: Someone said that.

This looks glorious, although idk why the blood effect is so large and bright red. This'd only be good if it played like the actual MH games though.

Monster Hunter Frontier is only an MMO in lobbies. It's still instanced areas you play with four players max. It's better to compare MHF with something more along the lines of PSO.

This looks to turn those instanced areas into zones with no player cap, which I just don't see working with the way Monster Hunter is designed.

For real? Hmm... No.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

@morbid_coffee said:

@raineko said:

@morbid_coffee said:

It's all my own speculation at this point based off the end that showed about 15-20 hunters all in an area that clearly wasn't the main hub town.

But if it's not a traditional MMO with Monster Hunter gameplay, then I don't see a reason for this to exist when MHF already does and still being updated.

The destructoid article says there's a special monster that requires 24 players to kill. So I'd assume 4 player quests make up a large portion of the gameplay. But we know next to nothing about the game, so there's no use presuming the worst or the best. Although I have to say that jet ski stuff looked stupid and dangerously reminds me of Lost Planet 2.

I just wish Capcom would make an honest to god Monster Hunter game that looks like that. There's no reason we should be getting Monster Hunter games that still look like their near decade old ancestor. The graphical improvements between Tri Ultimate and MH1 are negligible at worst and a half step at best.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Tarsier

i might play if it looked like that

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

I'd enjoy such a thing. So we'll finally get a Monster Hunt produced from the ground up for PC/next gen consoles. At least if they bother to release it in the West.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one that I played was the one that on the PSP. I played all the tutorials and then I left it :/ . I have to get on back to this to better appreciate it.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

While I'm aware that this is my hand pushing money at Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, just replace the image with that trailer.

WHY IS IT NOT WORKING?! WHY IS IT NOT IN MY POSSESSION YET?! DO THEY NOT SEE THAT I WANT TO GIVE THEM ALL THIS MONEY?!

Dcyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dcyst

I think with the current state of networking, the MMO Hub/Instanced Gameplay nature of PSO or Frontier is the only way to bring the kind of combat Monster Hunter emphasizes to a massively multiplayer game. Most connections and servers simply don't have the ability to transfer and calculate all of the hitbox/attack/movement/location/etc data required for an MMO-zone's worth of people. 24 People? No problem.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.