Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Montreal Canadiens

Concept »

The Montreal Canadiens are a professional hockey franchise, founded in 1909. "Les Habitants" are one of the most successful pro sports franchises in North America, with 24 Stanley Cups and more than 40 Hall of Fame players.

My user icon explained

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By demonbear

Hi,

Since I have a strange user icon compared to most people out there, I thought i'd blog about it and tell you what it is.

This my friends, is my favorite moment in sports history.

Sweet russian justice
    Sweet russian justice

Let me explain.

3/26/2006 - Montreal, Bell Center.

Theres a hockey match between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens. For a couple of years now, there's a rivalry building up between these 2 teams and this event is one of the key moments in that modern rivalry.

Score is 6-2 Montreal, end of the 3rd period. The game is almost done. Then, this happens.

As you can see at 0:04 seconds in the video at the far right, tucker goes to hit kovalev with a clear elbow shot but nearly misses. Alexei Kovalev is the russian star of the Montreal Canadiens and is not known for being a tough guy, but he's known to take care of himself when that kind of stuff happens. And he will.

He quickly turns around to see who tried to nail him like that, took his number.

at 0:09 seconds, the puck goes back to where Kovalev is now, near the boards and he takes possession of it. Usually in hockey, the puck carrier is focused on getting a scoring chance but Kovi has something else in mind...

at 0:13, Kovalev sees his teammate Sheldon Souray at the Blue line and raises his stick, expecting a pass, Kovalev skates around him, he has something else in mind....

at 0:15, he pushed another Maple leaf player and is in direct line of sight with his target, Darcy Tucker, The man who tried to elbow him a few seconds earlier, he has gained a good amount of speed and then....

at 0:17 he jumps RIGHT IN HIS EFFIN' FACE!!!!!!

Brawl ensues. Montreal wins. I glee at that video every time i see it, even today.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demonbear

Hi,

Since I have a strange user icon compared to most people out there, I thought i'd blog about it and tell you what it is.

This my friends, is my favorite moment in sports history.

Sweet russian justice
    Sweet russian justice

Let me explain.

3/26/2006 - Montreal, Bell Center.

Theres a hockey match between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens. For a couple of years now, there's a rivalry building up between these 2 teams and this event is one of the key moments in that modern rivalry.

Score is 6-2 Montreal, end of the 3rd period. The game is almost done. Then, this happens.

As you can see at 0:04 seconds in the video at the far right, tucker goes to hit kovalev with a clear elbow shot but nearly misses. Alexei Kovalev is the russian star of the Montreal Canadiens and is not known for being a tough guy, but he's known to take care of himself when that kind of stuff happens. And he will.

He quickly turns around to see who tried to nail him like that, took his number.

at 0:09 seconds, the puck goes back to where Kovalev is now, near the boards and he takes possession of it. Usually in hockey, the puck carrier is focused on getting a scoring chance but Kovi has something else in mind...

at 0:13, Kovalev sees his teammate Sheldon Souray at the Blue line and raises his stick, expecting a pass, Kovalev skates around him, he has something else in mind....

at 0:15, he pushed another Maple leaf player and is in direct line of sight with his target, Darcy Tucker, The man who tried to elbow him a few seconds earlier, he has gained a good amount of speed and then....

at 0:17 he jumps RIGHT IN HIS EFFIN' FACE!!!!!!

Brawl ensues. Montreal wins. I glee at that video every time i see it, even today.
    Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
    guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By guerrilla_mason

That's pretty sweet.  Mine's a turtle, that happens to be a Ninja.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Wow... that was a great hit. I can only imagine how much that hurt... I mean Kovalev is a beast. Atleast 6' and over 200lbs.. I sure do love those Russians playing hockey. I couldn't pick my favorite moment in sports history.. but one of the many fights with Patrick Roy would be up there.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demonbear

Kovi is a great player, lots of talent but this hit is just pure magic.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

That's a good brawl. Especially with the guys intent to harm. lol.

But this ones still way better:

If you fast forward to about 5 minutes in they take it through the whole thing point by point.

also keep in mind that fighting in the NBA isn't just a 5 minute time out.   : )
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xandurson

How many people didn't know about that? Not a lot of hockey fans on here are there?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Suicrat
    @JJWeatherman: Basketball players are shit when it comes to fighting. They slap eachother, and pull one another's hair. Sucker punches and dirty tactics are common. In hockey, you're trying to kill the guy, but most of the time you're trying to do it honourably. Also, they're doing it on their feet, whereas in hockey, you need to balance on skates on the ice. As a dude who has fought another dude whilst on skates, I can tell you that shit ain't easy, son.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Suicrat said:
    @JJWeatherman: Basketball players are shit when it comes to fighting. They slap eachother, and pull one another's hair. Sucker punches ... [more]
    Good points, but you got to admit that particular NBA fight was pretty bad. I mean when the fans get involved and then the refs have to call the game early, you know something went horribly wrong, lol.
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xxNBxx

It was a pretty good hit but a poor fight afterwards.  Right now i am all about this hit.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Suicrat

Yeah, but that would happen at every Flyers game if they didn't have the glass to keep the fans out.

And to xxNBxx, that hit was dirty. He didn't yet have the puck and his head was down. Easily an interference penalty. Not only that, his feet left the ice, which means it's charging also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.