Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Is Mortal Kombat in need of a character design reboot?

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By kevinski

Don't get me wrong: I'm really looking forward to this game. Thing is, I can't help but feel that this series really, REALLY needs a character design reboot. For me, that supposed Mortal Kombat reboot trailer was like a breath of fresh air to me. It's not as though I felt that everything was perfect in it or anything, but everything was certainly more believable. Mortal Kombat characters just tend to have these very cartoony qualities to them, whether it's their proportions or their awkward animations.

Similar to Sonic the Hedgehog, some characters in this series just don't work well in three dimensions. Take Raiden, for example. Sure, his appearance is true to how he looked in the series' 2D installments, but his base design still isn't well-suited to being adapted into three dimensions. When I think of a kick-ass 3D Raiden, I think of something more along the lines of the three storms from Big Trouble in Little China, albeit with downsized headgear. As is, Raiden just doesn't look very intimidating, nor does he look much more than just plain awkward.

Next up, how about Mileena? Or, really, any other female character in a Mortal Kombat game, I suppose. Is there not a woman in existence without massive breasts? One thing that I love about the original Mortal Kombat games' digitized characters are their believable appearances. Sure, they were dressed a bit ridiculously, but their proportions were believable because they were *gasp* real people. Come to think of it, those older digitized graphics probably marked the most reasonable example of video game characters whom you could consider to be physically attractive without seeming like some kind of weirdo. Looking at the 3D variations of each respective character in the Mortal Kombat series, I can see why some people have such a problem with people considering video game characters to be attractive.

Now, with that said, how do you feel about Mortal Kombat's character designs? What, if anything, would you do differently?

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kevinski

Don't get me wrong: I'm really looking forward to this game. Thing is, I can't help but feel that this series really, REALLY needs a character design reboot. For me, that supposed Mortal Kombat reboot trailer was like a breath of fresh air to me. It's not as though I felt that everything was perfect in it or anything, but everything was certainly more believable. Mortal Kombat characters just tend to have these very cartoony qualities to them, whether it's their proportions or their awkward animations.

Similar to Sonic the Hedgehog, some characters in this series just don't work well in three dimensions. Take Raiden, for example. Sure, his appearance is true to how he looked in the series' 2D installments, but his base design still isn't well-suited to being adapted into three dimensions. When I think of a kick-ass 3D Raiden, I think of something more along the lines of the three storms from Big Trouble in Little China, albeit with downsized headgear. As is, Raiden just doesn't look very intimidating, nor does he look much more than just plain awkward.

Next up, how about Mileena? Or, really, any other female character in a Mortal Kombat game, I suppose. Is there not a woman in existence without massive breasts? One thing that I love about the original Mortal Kombat games' digitized characters are their believable appearances. Sure, they were dressed a bit ridiculously, but their proportions were believable because they were *gasp* real people. Come to think of it, those older digitized graphics probably marked the most reasonable example of video game characters whom you could consider to be physically attractive without seeming like some kind of weirdo. Looking at the 3D variations of each respective character in the Mortal Kombat series, I can see why some people have such a problem with people considering video game characters to be attractive.

Now, with that said, how do you feel about Mortal Kombat's character designs? What, if anything, would you do differently?

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By apoptosis61

yup

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By schizogony

I wish Mortal Kombat would just go away.

ReVenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ReVenge

Well, look at Scorpion. Pretty much with every game he has a different design, even if it is minor. Alternate costumes could be a solution, but if it is a redesign, it's important to keep it close to what it was.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By newt

All it really needs is to be balanced and deep.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FirePrince

They should have alt costumes(the old ones) for every character.That way,everybody is happy. 
    Also,you are trying to convince today's gamers that not having enormous watermellons strapped to any female's chest means that they are not actually females.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kevinski
    @FirePrince said:
    " Also,you are trying to convince today's gamers that not having enormous watermellons strapped to any female's chest means that they are not actually females. "
    Hahahaha...it'd at least be nice if the developers were convinced of that, at least. :P
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @schizogony said:
    " I wish Mortal Kombat would just go away. "
    I wish you would go away.... so there.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @schizogony said:
    I wish you would go away.... so there. "
    yeah
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @schizogony said:
    I wish you would go away.... so there. "
    yeah "
    yup
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By VWGTI

Fuck no. I like my Mortal Kombat to be Mortal Kombat. It's like asking me if I want a Mario redesign. Hellllllll no!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

Nope, I actually like there being like 5 ninjas I think they all look awesome. Also boobs are never a bad thing.
    I think you just need to get over it.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @trophyhunter said:
    " Nope, I actually like there being like 5 ninjas I think they all look awesome. Also boobs are never a bad thing. I think you just need to get over it. "
    This. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.