Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MotorStorm: Apocalypse

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 03, 2011

Cars, motorcycles, monster trucks and more all race together through improvised tracks in an abandoned city destroyed by an earthquake, in the fourth instalment in the MotorStorm series.

I don't like the comic book-esque approach

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl

I've had a 60GB PS3 pretty much since 2007, and the original Motorstorm was my first game on the system. I enjoyed it quite a bit - even though I've never been a fan of racing games - mainly because of the crazy fast action and the pacing.

I wasn't really impressed with Pacific Rift that much; the maps seemed kinda boring and the soundtrack didn't stand up to its predecessor's.

I had pretty high hopes for the 3rd installment, but I must say I'm pretty disappointed with what I've seen in the quick look. The voice acting, as Jeff pointed out, is pretty terrible, and I definitely dislike the horrible motion comic vibe and the "we're krazy men, man, bro" approach. To be frank I'll propably skip the game altogether.

What are your thoughts? Do you dig the comic book feel? Are you pumped up for the game?

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By phish09

Yeah, I'm not a huge Motorstorm fan, so I'll probably grab this when it's on the cheap, but the style and story elements don't appeal to me at all.  Racing games just don't need stories imo.  I can't remember ever playing a racing game where I was even remotely impressed by the story.  It just seems like something you would tack on if you're not content that you are offering the players enough in terms of pure gameplay, so you need to flesh out the experience somehow.  I hope that's not the case, and the game is full of great stuff to do, but there have been some good racing games in the last year or two and it just feels like Motorstorm as a franchise is starting to fall behind. 

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By abdo

I'm a big racing fan, so unsurprisingly I dig the racing in the game, except for some vehicles like mudpluggers, but I've never liked those in Pacific Rift either. As for the cut scenes, I think they're hysterical. Sure, they do look half-assed, but it's nice to see a racing game know that whatever story it's gonna put in, it's bound to be 'stupid' (like the last bunch of NFS games before Hot Pursuit). They obviously know the motion comic stuff isn't great, I guess they just rolled with it.

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mechabolic

I said it once and i'll say it again.  The cutscenes looks like they were made by the same guys that did those Sketchers commercials. lol

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KarlPilkington

I finished that game a few weeks ago, completely skipped past all of the story.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @imsh_pl said:

What are your thoughts? Do you dig the comic book feel? Are you pumped up for the game? "

The entire comic book thing is a total turnoff. Frankly I think the idea of a story in MotorStorm is a bad idea all together. I've always like the vague, "WTF is goin on here anyways" aspect of MotorStorm.

I'll probably play and enjoy it at some point, but to give you an idea of the time frame I'm talking about: I just started playing Pacific Rift last week :P
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Thing is, they did make character models for most of those characters for the ATV and motorcycle levels. Even if they're not super detailed, it would have been an improvement I think. As is, I just get a gnarly late 90s "Mountain Dew bros!" vibe and its a major downer.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan

Same here. I was thinking of getting this, but it was kind of a big turn off. Seeing some of the game's issues in the QL didn't really help either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.